• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan Rocks

15 posts in this topic

The tragic shame or maybe wonderous special magic of Conan is that it is not the no.1 book in the land. I know that Scott Allie and company are very quick with their communication and are firm believers in authentic assessment-this means that if you email them-they answer back and actually listen to their fans.

They have their vision of Conan and believe if it looks and reads well then it rocks. They believe that quality sells. This is true. Have people noticed that more and more people continue to jump on the barbarian bandwagon. Its not to late to purchase all the other backissues for completist. The limited HC truly rocks. It brings another level of what we should expect from a comic in collected form. When you look at what this team has given us with their interpretation of REH world you have to believe that they care for the reader more than their paycheck. The problem with comics and world world in general is that people want generic-they are plugged in the same and are patrons of poor taste. They want the same story again with the same hero doing the same thing-a new take kills them. Conan on the other hand is getting good enough that you actually can see a specific and contrasting difference in quality that makes it steak compared to hamburger.

There is a funk or fuzz that you get when you enter the hyperborian age and I believe that this new team has the rare ability to generate it with their comic. It is just plain heavy. Conan marches in that world of the barbian that is part reality and part mystery. I can read most xbook fodder in less than five minutes and bag it, slab it and dunk it into storage. I have noticed that I will read the Conan arcs a couple of times. Albeit Conan is a little raunchy and a bit violent. I can say that it is better than what is on cable. This team gives us a shot to see this wanderer as he deals with different weird situations. Conan is selling not only at the LCS but I have noticed that it is selling at the supermarkets and convience stores.

Yu's covers are decent and hint at what is inside. However, I agree with most that Yu can't compete with Cary Nord's art. Nord has found his stride and his covers rock. Sometimes there is a weak panel here or there but you know, Conan makes his deadlines. You can't say that for the House of Commercial Ideas or Doesn't Count. Dark Horse is doing a great job with this title and it is critical for the true comic geeks to push this magazine along.

I agree too. There's nothing like this book and this setting.

I'm enjoying each arc more than the last. The cumulative effect is very pleasant. I think it's more than just an updating of the first comics series, it's taking as much care as is humanly possible for a monthly book. I really like the heavy addition of detail when they stretch things that might've been one comic the first time around to two issues this time and then it leads seamlessly to something else.

For those of us that grew up with the first series, the new Dark Horse Conan strokes that chord of nostaligia but then builds on it to create something new and great.

Hard to believe with all this interest in the character that Conan the Barbarian #1-15 went down so heavily in the new price guide.

Marc

Ya it was great, absolutely can't wait for the entire City of Theives story arc to continue. I like the slant they have taken, "That Conan is pissed at the civilized world so he heads to the worst of the worst cities to try and best it." Great stuff.

At the Oakland con I just walked up to Cary Nord (he looks like hes about 25) and Tom Yeates and just said sincerely thanks for putting out such a great quality comic book. 893applaud-thumb.gif And then of course I asked for a sketch thumbsup2.gif

Just read Conan # 17, possibly the best issue yet!

What a great book! thumbsup2.gif

I might have to agree with you that it was the best one yet. Nice owl in the Two-Gun Bob story too. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Was that an ornate "CGC" branded on Conan in the full page battle scene in the square?

Marc

Does anyone know how long Nord and Busiek are signed for? Have either of them said they were planning on doing a specific amount of issues? This is the best pairing and comic run of the last 5-10 years and I don't want it to end!

Great book. Great Art. 'nuff said.

Does anyone know how long Nord and Busiek are signed for? Have either of them said they were planning on doing a specific amount of issues? This is the best pairing and comic run of the last 5-10 years and I don't want it to end!

Well I know that Cary mentioned to someone at the con that he had extended his contract for another 12 issues. Not sure what issue that takes him up to though.