• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSX#1 discussion

31 posts in this topic

Haven't heard anything about a warehouse find but yes, lots of high grade copies around. More due to the forgiving white cover. Comparatively, X#94 seems to be trending down, except at the very high end. I don't consider X#94 to be a “key” so relative to GSX#1, it seems to be settling in where it belongs.

Whether GSX#1 is “on” or “off” the radar, the recent CL sale of the 9.8 is way above GPA which bodes well for this book. Too bad GPA doesn't track CL sales.

Mile High 2 had few X-Men books, but it's safe to assume they were there at some point and were cherry picked early on.

The only board I'm aware of was a guy in Pennsylvania that seemingly had hundreds in the early eBay days.

GS Xmen also is seen as the first team but it's outside the main title so 94 gets the nod there.

GS Xmen is the first app of Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Thunderbird. as well as being first team and 2nd full Wolverine.

Of those 4 firsts, Storm could break out if there was a TV show or Black Panther movie appearance etc. That would certainly juice it as THE book to own over issue 94.

The supply certainly is huge. I compare it to FF 48 a bit. Just so many nice copies out there.

GSXM #1 was *just* on the cusp of the beginning of the "buy several, and bag them for the future" era. As well, even though it wasn't an instant hit, it was only a few years later (summer of 1978, to be exact) that it took off, so there were still plenty of high grade copies floating around to be had and tucked away.

The last really difficult era for ultra high grade Marvels is 1972-1973-ish. With the 25 cent price increase of 1974, and, not coincidentally, the advent of the Direct market AND collecting becoming a legitimate hobby AND "hot" books like ASM #121-122 and Shazam #1, it's never going to be difficult to find 1975-era books in ultra high grade, especially for the most popular Marvel books of the decade.

If GSXM #1 was a 1972 book, it would be perhaps 10 times rarer, absolutely and in high grade, and be worth quite a bit more as a result.

Looking at the quad-fecta of the bronze age, Hulk#181, ASM#129, X#94 and the GSX#1, I'm thinking they should never have been as high as they were before the housing crisis. Comparatively, the IF#14 hasn't quite reached it's peak but it's pretty close... But then, this book was never trading above $10K for 9.8’s.

The popularity of Wolverine has the #181 steadily rising. The success of Punisher on TV has revitalized the #129 and the tough to find “mint” dark cover of the #94 keeps it propped up. However, despite the success of the X films, GSX#1 seems to be lacking some sort of stimulus. Perhaps the films are too divergent for collectors.

With ASM#129 closing in on the $10K mark again, GSX#1 seems like a bargain, which might have been the thinking, at least in part, behind the recent CL sale. I'm curious to see if the current prices hold. Fingers crossed :wishluck:

Question about IF 14 -- Isn't Sabretooth still dead in current continuity?

I love the book, but last I checked he was dead and he's already appeared in two movies.

Unlikely to get another movie bump soon, Weapon X film or no.

Question about IF 14 -- Isn't Sabretooth still dead in current continuity?

I love the book, but last I checked he was dead and he's already appeared in two movies.

Unlikely to get another movie bump soon, Weapon X film or no.

Unfortunately, I'm not up to date on current comics but I thought I heard Sabretooth was brought back to life. Either way, the legal wranglings between Fox and Marvel seem to be preventing the full blown promotion of mutants.

I checked Wikipedia after posting & it looks like yes -- he's alive again.

But the broader point is this: the key comic market has devolved so much to the movie/Netflix announcement speculation game that the first appearances of characters with little chance of appearing in new movies or TV shows will always languish.

Sabretooth's already appeared in two separate X-Men movies.

Like Bane, with his two separate appearances, I just don't see Marvel or Fox bringing him back to the screen anytime soon.

Then again, we've seen the Green Goblin what - three times in five Spider-Man movies?