• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1981 Hernandez Bros LOVE AND ROCKETS #1 B&W Magazine

28 posts in this topic

Does anyone know, as I've heard there's the potential for fraudulent copies, how to identify the 1981 self-published ($1 cover price) release of LOVE AND ROCKETS?

I thought I saw one version without staples offered.

I heard CGC often had/had a difficult time accepting and authenticating the magazine. I think the highest grade that exists is a CGC 9.8,

Does anyone also know what the print run was and if there were any subsequent pressing/printings?

Yes, there's an easy tell on the cover (if you know what you're looking for) - that's why CGC has been able to grade these books for the last couple of years.

The staples aren't it - I've seen genuine copies both with & without staples.

if you look at the area with the red border in the scan - on a counterfeit copy the dark border on the right hand side and the background of the illustration will blend together. On a genuine copy, those two areas are clearly separated.

love-rockets-tell.jpg

It sounds like the best way to go is via CGC to ensure the authentication of the book, beyond just the grading.

Is there a price/value difference between those with staples and those without staples?

It sounds/looks like the stapled version would be more desirable, as it's a final finished product, where an unstapled version may be perceived as a production piece, albeit authentic, possibly incomplete (for missing the staples) unless it was originally distributed that way for some reason.

I'm thinking my copy is likely a counterfeit, going by the post mschmidt posted above, as the blacks appear to be darker, causing the black on the border and the black in the background to blend. I was just wondering if the counterfeiters were also able to counterfeit the stamped address on the inside of the book, as it does look like an actual stamp, not photocopied.

Very disappointed in the thought that my copy would be counterfeit, but I don't think I paid much for it when I got it. Just wish I remembered where I got it from.

My copy has staples, for what it's worth.

Yes, there's an easy tell on the cover (if you know what you're looking for) - that's why CGC has been able to grade these books for the last couple of years.

The staples aren't it - I've seen genuine copies both with & without staples.

if you look at the area with the red border in the scan - on a counterfeit copy the dark border on the right hand side and the background of the illustration will blend together. On a genuine copy, those two areas are clearly separated.

love-rockets-tell.jpg

Mine's fake then :(

Just did a quick eBay review, there are 4 slabbed copies for sale. 3 definitely look like mschmidt's example, but this one I'm not so sure. Could just be a bad image, There's some glare right on that spot

s-l1600.jpg

Are there counterfeits with the stamp inside?

Yes.

I have a counterfeit copy with the address "stamp" and I can't tell it apart from the real stamp in one of my genuine copies.

So, if it is CGC graded, we are as sure as we can be that it is real? I am watching one on Ebay from comicmylars that I am considering buying but wonder if it is absolutely the real thing.

So, if it is CGC graded, we are as sure as we can be that it is real? I am watching one on Ebay from comicmylars that I am considering buying but wonder if it is absolutely the real thing.

Yes, CGC knows how to tell a genuine copy from a counterfeit.

Yes, CGC knows how to tell a genuine copy from a counterfeit.

Michael, I just looked at my copy, which was returned by CGC as 'not authentic', and your test was spot on, it failed. Good information, thanks.

I did hear that CGC was pretty skeptical about most editions of Love and Rockets #1 out there, so a lot of submissions that can't be substantiated through their authentication process are being returned, and it sounds like it's a high risk proposition to buy a raw non-authenticated copy which may very well end up being that (a "copy", reproduction or forgery) which is hard for the pedestrian collector to identify at a glance.

Does anyone know how many of these have been graded by CGC in terms of the overall population that exists?

Supposedly 800 copies exist. Of the 4 copies I've purchased, 3 came from the creators themselves, the other from a shop they did a tour stop at

I think if you make sure where the copy came from you can limit the risk

The scans make it look like a counterfeit copy, but it could just be due to the wrong contrast settings on his scanner.

I think that user might be a boardie. Sells lots of Golden Age comics. Good chance it is the real thing. Interior scans show a lot of unnatural darkening from scan, so yeah it might be settings.