• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Art - Stan Lee cover art + FL SuperCon mini-report

5 posts in this topic

good morning,

I went down to the miami beach convention center yesterday to check out the 1st day of Florida SuperCon. I haven't been to a comic show in Miami since the early '90s, when the big shows were held at the old Howard Johnson in North Miami Beach. Before I give a brief report on that, i wanted to show off some art I picked up at the Con.

MEZI0xY1_0207160946581gpadd.jpg

This is the cover art to the GN "Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir" by Stan Lee, Peter David and Colleen Doran. I actually purchased this from Colleen a few months ago and we agreed I could just pick it up in person. It's gorgeous! Her line work is so precise here, i'm amazed how clean the art is. Really happy to add this ..

I'm also just as thrilled that I was able to pick up this gorgeous splash of Jack "King" Kirby, from the same book. Colleen really hit it out of the park with this one..

mQAlO3Dr_0207160950441gpadd.jpg

I also bought a splash page from the book that shows Stan getting his star on the Hollywood walk of fame, but I don't have a decent scan of that one yet. Colleen also was nice enough to provide the back cover art and the cover prelims. Meeting her and chatting with her was an absolute delight.

Which gets me back to the show ... I really enjoyed it. VERY different vibe than most shows I go to, since I typically only attend SDCC & NYCC. It was very laid back, a decent crowd, but plenty of room to move around. Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of original art for sale outside of what the artists brought ... and there were some good names in attendance.

Aside from Colleen, Greg Capullo was there, Neal Adams was there and already deep into sketching mode. I know some people complain about his orneriness, but the guy really works hard at these shows. At his age, gods bless him. Same for Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez. He was busy sketching away. Too bad he didn't have much OA with him. I've been on the hunt for a classic JLGL Wonder Woman display piece for a long time.

As I said earlier, the Con wasn't very crowded, but the upside of that is I was able to get quality time with artists like Garcia-Lopez and Colleen. Considering the big shows are so hectic for them and for myself, since I'm typically working there, it was nice to be able to talk with the artists for a decent bit.

As for OA that I spotted, one dealer had a few nice mid-90s pieces on display. One was a Ghost Rider full page splash or cover -- and another was the page 1 splash to "Amazing Spider-Man #347" by Erik Larson. I didn't take a pic because I'm a insufficiently_thoughtful_person but google it. It's an absolutely HUGE image of Venom towering over Spider-Man. It's a classic representation of art of that area.

The guy was asking $9500 for it -- BTW, on the back, Larson sketched shots of most of the New Warriors.

Other than that, I didn't see much vintage comic art available. I'm going to try and go back to the Con sunday, but not sure if my wife will be OK with me spending half our Sunday at a Comic Con

Any of the South Florida boardies planning to attend?

Brian, are you the lucky guy who scored the Splash with Stan officiating the Spidey wedding at the Mets game? Nice going!

I saw Colleen Doran last year at WW San Jose, she had some great artwork. I also picked up a sweet splash from the Stan Lee book. She did a great job on it.

Colleen had the whole book and was not looking to sell them since the book had not been released. I promised her I wouldn't post it publically until after the book was released. Here is the wedding splash.

yidrxT3c_1311150327211.jpg