• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: ASM #50

12 posts in this topic

This is a very nice looking copy. presents very well on the FC. Only major defects I see are:

Front

1. the "V" written in pen at the Top Left Front Cover corner near spidey's head in the logo box

2. 9 spine creases that break color

3. 1/8" - 1/4" light scratch or color break crease at the Top Left Front Cover spine edge

4. the 1/2" light color break edge bend at the Bottom Left Front Cover edge

5. the light to moderate edge wear/fraying at the Top Front Cover Edge with possible 1/4" Color Break Crease at Top Right Front Cover

Back

1. light soiling/yellowing/tanning of Back Cover

2. 1/8" crease (or is that a tear?) at Top Right Back Cover Spine Corner

3. light soiling/shadowing of Back Cover edges

All that brings me to 7.5. 8.0 on a good day.

However, what is going on with the Bottom Back Cover spine corner? It looks either like 1-2 lightly soiled creases/bends of 1/2" and 3/4" respectively or a possible 1/2" tear.

If the suspected tears are present then I'd downgrade to 6.5. If the tear propagates through multiple interior pages then possibly lower. I personally hate tears above 1/8" and don't consider them allowed above a 5.5 but CGC and likely everyone else isn't as harsh on them and considers the age (Silver Age) and overall appearance of the book as a factor so ymmv.

Thanks for all the feedback and loadstone, thank you for your detailed analysis!

You guys are on the money. It all depends on whether it's a fingerprint or schmutz in the lower right hand corner. I could see anywhere from 7.0-8.5.

This shmutz seems to be a printing issue. It's definitely not a fingerprint.

This is a very nice looking copy. presents very well on the FC. Only major defects I see are:

Front

1. the "V" written in pen at the Top Left Front Cover corner near spidey's head in the logo box

2. 9 spine creases that break color

3. 1/8" - 1/4" light scratch or color break crease at the Top Left Front Cover spine edge

4. the 1/2" light color break edge bend at the Bottom Left Front Cover edge

5. the light to moderate edge wear/fraying at the Top Front Cover Edge with possible 1/4" Color Break Crease at Top Right Front Cover

Back

1. light soiling/yellowing/tanning of Back Cover

2. 1/8" crease (or is that a tear?) at Top Right Back Cover Spine Corner

3. light soiling/shadowing of Back Cover edges

All that brings me to 7.5. 8.0 on a good day.

However, what is going on with the Bottom Back Cover spine corner? It looks either like 1-2 lightly soiled creases/bends of 1/2" and 3/4" respectively or a possible 1/2" tear.

If the suspected tears are present then I'd downgrade to 6.5. If the tear propagates through multiple interior pages then possibly lower. I personally hate tears above 1/8" and don't consider them allowed above a 5.5 but CGC and likely everyone else isn't as harsh on them and considers the age (Silver Age) and overall appearance of the book as a factor so ymmv.

You're on the money about the front cover. On the back cover, those aren't tears but just tiny folds. However, there are some very tiny tears on the top edge of both front and back covers, due to a slight overhang.

The diagonal line on the bottom right back cover seems to be part of the paper texture.