• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Spider-Man: What gives?

20 posts in this topic

Folks, help me out here! Why do people pay so much for Ultimate Spider-Man comics in CGC? There must be literally thousands of NM+ copies, but many pay more than for NM silverage books. What gives? By the way, anyone want my unread NM+ Ultimate SM #?!

Mike

Darth, is that all you have to say?

And why do you get so cocky whenever anyone mentions USM, or other

over-hyped, over priced junk?

You're the guy manipulating the market, aren't you? You've probably got a mountain of USM sitting in your basement, along with your boxes of CGC 10.0 Origin 1's.

Darth, Wizard and Diamond: The axis of evil. mad.gif

I wish I knew....I too have paid to much for these slabs of evil...talk about pathetic...I have a full set of ultimate spider-mans in bags and boards, I then have a set in CGC....and to top it off I have the trades so I can read them!..AUGH!!!! confused.gif

I have recently gotten interested in this title. Go figure venom shows up and my interest peaks. One thing I have found is that the Marvel Covers are junk. They aren't the best material to print on.

-Jeremy-

Jeremy, I think you made an error in your last post. You wrote:

One thing I have found is that the Marvel Covers are junk

I think you meant to say:

"One thing I have found is that the Marvel COMICS are junk! grin.gif

DC RULES!

Darth, is that all you have to say?

grin.giftongue.giflaugh.gif

And why do you get so cocky whenever anyone mentions USM, or other

over-hyped, over priced junk?

Uh huh huh..cocky...huh huh... - I don't go jumping up and down for 30 Days of Night now do I? That was a boat that sailed without me providing all the wind behind it... USM - it's just great Spider-Man for Spidey fans... I love it...whether it is worth $1 as a reprint or $1000 in CGC 9.8, all the hype and controversy can ever take away how good of a book it is, how great a writer Bendis is, how much more improved Mark Bagley is this time around on Spidey...

There are plenty of overhyped Wizard books that I don't support. Wizard is a great hype machine for certain comics. It takes little skill to shovel through all the BS and figure out which nuggets of info can lead to great sales.

You're the guy manipulating the market, aren't you?

Conspiracy afoot? Nah, probably a favorable market due mainly to Movie hype, and a quality product with consistency to back up the hype.

You've probably got a mountain of USM sitting in your basement, along with your boxes of CGC 10.0 Origin 1's.

Mountain? Molehill, maybe...I've sold so many over the past 2 years...and will continue to do so...I have to hit off murph0 and dam60 from this forum. Haven't had much chance to put their requests together, but I'll get there. As for the Origin 1 10.0, it's still the same one, it just won't sell at that price...not meant to really..Consider it eye candy...

Bagley is definitely good on USM. He must be totally churning the work out what with USM coming out twice monthly, what a few months back. I am glad they decided to make the covers a little stronger. You're right though about paying insane prices for USM. I'd have to lay my green down on some other books.

Diablo508

It's great to find a comic you're excited about. I probably should pick up the trades and read them. I'm and ASM collector, but the early issues are too hot in NM for my blood.

Mike

Paladin,

Bagley is pretty cool! I started collecting ASM again when he was in the middle of his run. His Spider-Man shots are terrific. I am a huge Romita Sr fan though for the silverage ASMs. I definitely did not enjoy the Chapter One re-dux for SPider-Man!

Mike

USM is riding the 'hot book' wave and connot possibly sustain the current values

That's why I dumped my "hotties" one month before the movie release. I think I have the record sale for the 9.6 White cover grin.gif

I probably should pick up the trades and read them. I'm and ASM collector, but the early issues are too hot in NM for my blood.

Pick up the trades. they are totally worth it. Very good series, IMO. I have a full run from #6 and up. I'm also waiting for prices on the first 5 issues to drop. Doub't we'll see much of a drop on #1 (White), but the others will come down, as others have said, when Bendis or Bagley leaves. Or, if the 2nd movie stinks!

That being said, Bagley's work has improved dramatically since his early 90's ASM run. I really like the artwork in USM. Very dynamic! In fact, I grabbed a copy of the new ASM the other day to flip through, and I think Bagley's USM art is fmuch better than Romita Jr on ASM. shocked.gifshocked.gif

Chris

Wonder if Marvel would try getting JR Senior to do and issue of Ultimate SM. Maybe one of the anniversary issues?

Hopefully not. I wouldn't like to see John Romita involved with something that is a pale imitation of his earlier work.