• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KILLER HULKs on c-link!

41 posts in this topic

For a book that is supposed to be so scarce in HG, he sure has an awful lot of nice Hulk #1s for sale.

I think there are several factors for that:

1) Prices on VF and better copies have surged in the past two years.

2) For completionist or run collectors, it's the first title to sell, as it is so short (6 issues), it would be the easiest to get back. The other choice to raise money is to sell a Major Key of another title, but then the run isn't complete

For a book that is supposed to be so scarce in HG, he sure has an awful lot of nice Hulk #1s for sale.

2) For completionist or run collectors, it's the first title to sell, as it is so short (6 issues), it would be the easiest to get back. The other choice to raise money is to sell a Major Key of another title, but then the run isn't complete

Not to mention a third factor --

3) Maybe it isn't as scarce as everyone thinks.

Depends on what you mean in HG?

There are 18 copies in VF or better on the census.

There are 19 copies of FF #1 in VF or better on the census.

Other then TTA #27 & #35 (which have 14 copies in VF or better), I can't think of a Major Marvel key with less copies in VF in the census.

Scarce and available for sale are two different things. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Depends on what you mean in HG?

There are 18 copies in VF or better on the census.

There are 19 copies of FF #1 in VF or better on the census.

Other then TTA #27 & #35 (which have 14 copies in VF or better), I can't think of a Major Marvel key with less copies in VF in the census.

Scarce and available for sale are two different things. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The CGC census is not the be-all, end-all of the scarcity debate. You know that. Plus, with turnaround times being what they are, there could be another 40 VF or better copies sitting in CGC's vault waiting to be graded and we'd never know it.

Just like JC once said, there are warehouses full of Mint Hulk #1s out there and it's just a matter of time until someone finds them. insane.gif

The CGC census is not the be-all, end-all of the scarcity debate. You know that. Plus, with turnaround times being what they are, there could be another 40 VF or better copies sitting in CGC's vault waiting to be graded and we'd never know it.

Just like JC once said, there are warehouses full of Mint Hulk #1s out there and it's just a matter of time until someone finds them. insane.gif

You're one of the last people I expected to make a statement like this... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Jim

You're one of the last people I expected to make a statement like this... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Jim

The insane.gif icon tells you what I think about the warehouse comment. On the other hand, I don't doubt for a second that there are quite a few more books out there than are represented in the census.

Just looking through Sotheby's and Christie's catalogs from auctions in the 1990s tells me that Hulk #1 is not as rare in HG (meaning VF or better) as some people make it sound. Granted, a 9.8 may never turn up, but so what. The difference between a 9.4 and a 9.8 on a book like that is nothing more than a forceful jarring of the CGC holder and a resulting bend in the overflash.

You're killing me here witht the shaken slab syndrome. As I matter of fact, I did pick up your TOS #52 CGC 9.4 a couple nights ago, and shook it, just so it wouldn't feel left out when it was added to your collection.

893whatthe.gif

Back to Hulk #1. Of course the census doesn't represent all books, but it probably is a good guage on a comparison level. By that I mean, since FF #1 and Hulk #1 have approximately the same amount graded in CGC 8.0 or better now, I would expect both of these books to have around the same number in the census five more years from now. In other words if ten more FF #1 get graded in CGC 8.0 or better, then we could expect around ten more Hulk #1's.

This comparison works because they have many similarities

1) Very expensive and worth getting graded.

2) Major Marvel keys

3) Issue near the same time period

I don't know if you consider 18 copies in CGC 8.0 or better scarce.

I will say it's a lot more scarce then the Marvel relaunches in 1968 when there are almost over 100 copies of each issue graded 9.4 or higher, already.

Au contraire. mon ami! Why should there be many more Hulks out there in HG more than any other Marvel key from the same period? If aanything, the Hulk movie last year would be an argument that MORE Hulks have already come out to CGC than other Marvel titles... So if its census trails the other titles now, it should ALWAYS trail other titles' numbers as ALL the OTHER Marvels above VF make their way into the census.

I believe the small #s at the top for Hulk can be relied upon to remain comparably low compared to other titles.

and while Im at it, the #2 thru #6 are smoking!!!

Just for clarity: the book has been slabbed 18 times in VF or better, but there are certainly fewer than 18 encapsulated copies at that grade. Indeed, I suspect that most high grade copies of Marvel keys have been slabbed at least twice, and an unknown fraction are not being reported to the census as having been re-graded.

Ergo, less common than you'd think.

And, man, but those Northland copies of 2 and 3 are outrageous.

There you go! Hulk #1 is only "scarce" in 9.0 and above. As with all Marvels, it's plentiful in lower grades.

You're killing me here witht the shaken slab syndrome. As I matter of fact, I did pick up your TOS #52 CGC 9.4 a couple nights ago, and shook it, just so it wouldn't feel left out when it was added to your collection.

893whatthe.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for clarity: the book has been slabbed 18 times in VF or better, but there are certainly fewer than 18 encapsulated copies at that grade. Indeed, I suspect that most high grade copies of Marvel keys have been slabbed at least twice, and an unknown fraction are not being reported to the census as having been re-graded.

And, man, but those Northland copies of 2 and 3 are outrageous

You could be correct.

But just assume there are actually 18 CGC copies in 8.0. Is that a lot? Not to me.

Yes, the price is way out of the reach of most collectors, but it's not like there's no demand for the book. There's over 300 hundred copies of Hulk #102 in CGC 8.0. It's not like they are all available for sale (as in everyone can't wait to get rid of them).

Also, and this is just my opinion, but I think the demand for most Marvel's is around 10 times as much as DC's. So while I will completely acknowledge that DC's are much harder to find in high grade, they also have a lot less demand. And MANY of the Silver-Age DC's Keys are only NEW VERSIONS of an old character. Great, first SA Hawkman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, etc. And of course the big three (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman), don't have SA first appearances.

Not trying to debate what's better DC or Marvel, just saying that 18 issues of a Major Silver-Age Marvel Key in HG (8.0 or better) is not an oversupply of that book.

Quote:

And, man, but those Northland copies of 2 and 3 are outrageous

You could be correct.

But just assume there are actually 18 CGC copies in 8.0. Is that a lot? Not to me.

Yes, the price is way out of the reach of most collectors, but it's not like there's no demand for the book. There's over 300 hundred copies of Hulk #102 in CGC 8.0. It's not like they are all available for sale (as in everyone can't wait to get rid of them).

Also, and this is just my opinion, but I think the demand for most Marvel's is around 10 times as much as DC's. So while I will completely acknowledge that DC's are much harder to find in high grade, they also have a lot less demand. And MANY of the Silver-Age DC's Keys are only NEW VERSIONS of an old character. Great, first SA Hawkman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, etc. And of course the big three (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman), don't have SA first appearances.

Not trying to debate what's better DC or Marvel, just saying that 18 issues of a Major Silver-Age Marvel Key in HG (8.0 or better) is not an oversupply of that book.

wholeheartedly agree on the point of only 18 copies graded at 8.0+ of a Marvel Key, being pretty scarce!!!!!!!!!!

just yesterday i was looking at X-men and Avengers stats and found that there are 67 copies of avengers #4 graded at 9.0+ (a very common Key in HG, but one with incredible demand).