• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics out performing Stocks since 2008!!!

65 posts in this topic

If I could use the last 8 years of hindsight and cherry-pick my stock buys in the way that was done to select investment-worthy comics for the linked piece, then I could crush the stock market, too. Just saying.

Heck if I just had two weeks hindsight I'd have been buying Nintendo stock.

I recommended it in 2014!

6th post down!

You also recommend that all muslims are evil and should be ousted from America. What's your point?

If I could use the last 8 years of hindsight and cherry-pick my stock buys in the way that was done to select investment-worthy comics for the linked piece, then I could crush the stock market, too. Just saying.

I didnt read the article but a non-cherry picked portfolio of top comics from eight years ago would still have done pretty good. I'm not talking about Walking Dead, that few could have predicted. Nor $100,000 books that few could afford.

GS X-Men 1, Hulk 181, Avengers 1 and 4, Brave and Bold 28, Spider-Man 14, books an average guy could afford to salt away.

But my point has been...

If you were looking to "invest" in the 90's you wouldn't have been buying those books. You would have been buying up foil covers, Image #1's, etc. And while some of those have been appreciating you wouldn't have had returns that outdid the stock market.

Glad I didn't "Invest" in those 90's books back in the 90's. I was buying low grade Hulk 181, Crow 1, FF 48 and a few others I could barley afford. Sure I bought Spawn 1 but not to "invest" The comic store owner would put aside every #1 that came out and was gonna give them to his 5 year old at the time for when he gets older, fast forward 20-25 years...I can see it now "Here you go, I saved 300 pounds of printed paper for you to resell"

+1

Lines up exactly and so appropriate with another post which I had written in another thread the other night' as follows:

Reminds me of the first time I was down at the SD Con in the very early 90's.

McFarlane was the rage at the time and all of the hucksters had the so-called super rare Platinum edition of Spidey 1 up on their walls at the bargain basement price of only $1,000. :screwy:

One dealer laughed at me when he saw that I had picked up uber HG copies of Captain America 29 & 31 for $1,000 and said that I was throwing my money away as these books would be worthless when the old timers left the hobby. hm

Went on to say that I would be missing the opportunity of a lifetime if I passed on the Spidey 1 for the same $1,000 as I would never ever see it again at that price. Turns out he was 100% dead right on that point as it went straight down to about $100 over time and has probably only moved up at a snail's pace from there. So, not much chance of seeing it at $1,000 again. :tonofbricks:

And in the meantime, it turns out the two Caps will most likely never see $1,000 again as they have moved up quite nicely in guide from that $1K mark to almost $14,000 now with the old geezers leaving the marketplace. :whee:

This current market feels eerily like the early 90s. Speculators running all over town buying up the current hot title to flip for easy money. Unethical comic stores shorting file customers so they can put that new release on the wall at 10 times cover. Ethical comic stores limiting sales to one copy of any hot book and buyers complaining they can't clean stores out of hot books. Variant covers and holographic covers everywhere, most buyers not caring about the story or the art just the next flip.

Add to that the effect of grading companies on prices and movie and TV rumors fueling speculation.

The 90s boom turned out pretty ugly and this boom may very likely turn out as bad.

We could all argue all day long about which has increased more over the last 10 years but comics, especially hot moderns, are a dangerous place to put all our eggs.

Comics are a lot more stable than stocks, with stocks you have to know when to get in and when to get out.

That's exactly what you are not suppose to do with stocks. Try to time them. doh!

point me towards all the billionaire comic book collectors

Thank you for mentioning again the matter of scale. It's why my post in another thread on the same subject mentioned having a hundred thousand dollars to invest. A retirement nest egg isn't going to cut it by investing in Hulk 181, GS X-Men 1 or the like. Investing in stocks has the scale that comic investing lacks in all but a very tiny handful of rare and high grade examples.

A mix of the two has worked for me. I'm sitting on approx 1000 books that will easily auction for over $100 a pop and doubt I'm into them for more than $40 each. I didn't reach my original goal of 100 $1,000 but I didn't miss by all that much. Some of them cost me under $100. Most cost me less than half what I'll get for them.

Right now I'm clearing out my lower value books. I no longer want to dedicate an entire room to my books.

Selling $500-$1000 a month thru auction sites is a part of my retirement portfolio. Liquidity isn't a problem as long as you don't need the money tomorrow. If I need cash ASAP, that's what stocks are for., and my three month emergency stash.

Sounds to me like you are working for your money. I prefer to have my money work for me. (shrug)

No problem. I try too hard, but sometimes I get lucky

:P You can only stretch imagination so far...,

6th post down!

You also recommend that all muslims are evil and should be ousted from America. What's your point?

Muslims are cool in my book and I respect them.

You are a race baiter.

What's your point?

You are not a loyal person.

You forget how many times I stuck up for you when you got strikes.

Put me on ignore.

Don't interact with me on this board anymore.

That's all I ask.

Thank you.

6th post down!

Muslims are cool in my book and I respect them.

You are a race baiter.

What's your point?

You are not a loyal person.

You forget how many times I stuck up for you when you got strikes.

Put me on ignore.

Don't interact with me on this board anymore.

That's all I ask.

Thank you.

You use that phrase like you know what it means. It's a buzzword created by insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, for insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

I don't forget you sticking up for me when I've gotten strikes, the fact is, I don't need you to stick up for me. You also admitted PMing me before knowing I was once a muslim. Then you begged me to prove a point to others about how the muslim culture wants to eradicate the western world.

If you are speaking loyalty in terms that I should stand by you and your belief system, then you are damned rights. To be loyal to someone who could even remotely consider saying someone else is a "race baiter" is abhorrent.

You are simply foul. I can only hope for one day that you take some time and consideration to what you think and feel, and have some way of being subjective to yourself. Then maybe the learning process can begin.

I don't want to interact with you. I just happen to not be someone who is passively going to forget who you are.

This current market feels eerily like the early 90s. Speculators running all over town buying up the current hot title to flip for easy money. Unethical comic stores shorting file customers so they can put that new release on the wall at 10 times cover. Ethical comic stores limiting sales to one copy of any hot book and buyers complaining they can't clean stores out of hot books. Variant covers and holographic covers everywhere, most buyers not caring about the story or the art just the next flip.

Add to that the effect of grading companies on prices and movie and TV rumors fueling speculation.

The 90s boom turned out pretty ugly and this boom may very likely turn out as bad.

We could all argue all day long about which has increased more over the last 10 years but comics, especially hot moderns, are a dangerous place to put all our eggs.

This current market, IMHO, should definitely go the way of the 90s. The product by and large sucks, series are being relaunched seemingly every month so that the suits can cash on yet another #1 with 28 variant covers craze, and speculation has gone insane.

The best thing to come out of the 90s crash was the re-focus on quality over quantity, the first decade of the 2000s produced some of my favorite material, both artistic and writing. Sadly the pendulum has swung to the other extreme once again.

All I can say is most of my collection was purchased for pennies on the dollar. That's doing a helluva lot better than my 401K.

That's just dumb luck though. It wasn't until relatively recently that people have started 'investing' in comics. Before it was just comic geeks wanting cool books.

Not necessarily true.

If you as a collector was spending real money in the pre-internet days to buy vintage quality comic books, it was more foresight and maintaining the proper contacts to ensure that you would get first crack at some of the books as they became available. :gossip:

Sure, anybody spending a thousand dollars or more on a single comic book back in the early 90's and before were geeking out on cool comics, but they sure as heck also didn't want to lose money on them in the end. hm

All I can say is most of my collection was purchased for pennies on the dollar. That's doing a helluva lot better than my 401K.

That's just dumb luck though. It wasn't until relatively recently that people have started 'investing' in comics. Before it was just comic geeks wanting cool books.

Relatively recent meaning when? Investing in comics is well over thirty years old, with the really cool kids doing it forty years ago.

Relatively recent meaning when? Investing in comics is well over thirty years old, with the really cool kids doing it forty years ago.

Exactly! I've been collecting for over 40 years. So Roy is sorta right with his "dumb luck" assessment. I bought a lot years before they were expensive I didn't know they would be worth money then. Hindsight though in keeping them in nice shape.

Agreed drawing a comparison against stocks is one thing. Both require research.

Its quite another to start pulling in IRAs/Mutual Funds into this which buy a ton of stocks to lower your risk.

The key to riding this thing out is the same as it was with the 90s bust - flip the hot moderns and variants fast while prices are high to buy older books. (thumbs u

Exactly! I've been collecting for over 40 years. So Roy is sorta right with his "dumb luck" assessment. I bought a lot years before they were expensive I didn't know they would be worth money then. Hindsight though in keeping them in nice shape.

I always expected the books I bought to go up in the, just didn't think they'd go up like they did.

I paid $115 for my first AF 15 and figured someday it might hit $500. Hoped my GS X-Men would one day crack $100.

The key to riding this thing out is the same as it was with the 90s bust - flip the hot moderns and variants fast while prices are high to buy older books. (thumbs u

+1

Yes, sell off all your CGC highest graded copies of your hot MA books and use the money to buy CGC lowest graded copies of vintage collectible comic books. :olol

Your hot Moderns will probably have nowhere to go but down, while your vintage collectible comic books should turn out to be a safer bet and a winner in the long run. :gossip: