• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its Miller Time

63 posts in this topic

Nice interview, thanks for sharing.

One of the (many) things I noted was Frank's comment on studying the early work of Frank Robbins, an artist who is commonly maligned on these boards.

Why?

Nice interview, thanks for sharing.

One of the (many) things I noted was Frank's comment on studying the early work of Frank Robbins, an artist who is commonly maligned on these boards.

Why?

His '70s work for Marvel was not well received by many fans, and that's often mentioned around here.

Ah ok. I suppose I'm not with the program in saying I think Miller's art isn't all that great either

I don't care for some of Miller's later stuff. His earlier stuff was groundbreaking, in my opinion, especially in terms of storytelling.

I tend to like comic book artists who understand that comic art is about storytelling and is a sequential art form, and is not solely dependent on the ability to draw neat looking pictures.

Ah ok. I suppose I'm not with the program in saying I think Miller's art isn't all that great either

I don't care for some of Miller's later stuff. His earlier stuff was groundbreaking, in my opinion, especially in terms of storytelling.

I tend to like comic book artists who understand that comic art is about storytelling and is a sequential art form, and is not solely dependent on the ability to draw neat looking pictures.

Miller draws very heavily on Eisner. The more mature I get as a collector the more I realize this.

Both are masters at contorting the page to entertain the viewer.

Thirty some years later, these pages are still burned into my brain.

haHkgl.jpg

Did you never ever read his early DD stuff?

How old are you?

I read it as it was coming out and it was considered awesome as it was coming out.

Miller draws very heavily on Eisner. The more mature I get as a collector the more I realize this.

Both are masters at contorting the page to entertain the viewer.

This is Wood not Eisner - but when I first saw this page in the EC Archives I thought of Miller:

63a29f4421b2f860e936f19fddfed693.jpg

How old are you?

I read it as it was coming out and it was considered awesome as it was coming out.

Big ol 39 today.

No I haven't seen much of his early stuff, most of his later stuff, so my opinion is completely not on mark, as Ben has stated.

I never liked DD

Wood is right up there as a master story teller. They are use light / dark contrast for effect in such a successful way. They're like the Caravaggios of the comic book world. :shy:

How old are you?

Big ol 39 today.

No I haven't seen much of his early stuff, most of his later stuff, so my opinion is completely not on mark, as Ben has stated.

I never liked DD

DD was my favorite..., until Miller ruined him. :sorry:

How old are you?

Big ol 39 today.

I never liked DD

His work was so powerful on DD that he revolutionized the character and affected him for decades after. Not only as an artist but later as a story writer.

Sin City was pretty good, I thought.

I'll have to check what stuff of his I've actually read. I'm a 90's collector, just getting into the 80's through X titles. Really liking Claremont and Silvestri so far

Sin City was pretty good, I thought.

I'll have to check what stuff of his I've actually read. I'm a 90's collector, just getting into the 80's through X titles. Really liking Claremont and Silvestri so far

Some people may not like Miller but he was heavily responsible for changing comic book story telling and art in comics in the 1980's. After his early run on Daredevil artists and story tellers spent a lot of effort trying to mimic Miller afterward.

Much of the mid to late 80's art was very much trying to emulate Miller's success.