• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should Comic Link hold sellers accountable for cancelled Exchange sales?

C-Link Exchange: Making the Seller accountable for the sale of a book  

111 members have voted

1. 1. C-Link Exchange: Making the Seller accountable for the sale of a book

41 posts in this topic

Were you bummed out that you had won the book that was canceled?

Would you be depending on the book?

No, I will express my disappointment to Comiclink for the seller breaching the contract if we made the agreement or completed deal via Exchange. I simply asked you if it ever happened to you. It never happened to me. The sellers are free to cancel or pull it out unless the book hasn't sold or purchased.

It has happened to me. The question here is one of interpretation - at what point is a contract entered into? My point is that a contract is entered into when the buyer accepts the seller's offer to sell the book. It's at that point when the buyer becomes liable but not the seller? You can't "cancel" a contract without both contracting parties mutually agreeing to it. Moreover, the buyer is liable after accepting the order but the seller is not.

I'd say the contract is entered upon payment for the book.

I wouldn't hold it against a seller if I made an offer, which was accepted...and then before I had paid, someone else made a better offer.

But once money changes hands, it is a done deal...and if a seller backs out of selling the book, issues a refund, after being paid, then he should be penalized.

Really?

No, I will express my disappointment to Comiclink for the seller breaching the contract if we made the agreement or completed deal via Exchange. I simply asked you if it ever happened to you. It never happened to me. The sellers are free to cancel or pull it out unless the book hasn't sold or purchased.

It has happened to me. The question here is one of interpretation - at what point is a contract entered into? My point is that a contract is entered into when the buyer accepts the seller's offer to sell the book. It's at that point when the buyer becomes liable but not the seller? You can't "cancel" a contract without both contracting parties mutually agreeing to it. Moreover, the buyer is liable after accepting the order but the seller is not.

I wouldn't hold it against a seller if I made an offer, which was accepted...and then before I had paid, someone else made a better offer.

But once money changes hands, it is a done deal...and if a seller backs out of selling the book, issues a refund, after being paid, then he should be penalized.

Really?

I wouldn't be happy about that but yeah, really.

If someone beat my offer, and I was not willing to go higher, I would not fault the seller for getting top dollar.

First. A contract consists of 3 things. An offer, an acceptance, and consideration (usually money). If a person offers a book for sale and a person agrees to buy it at that price then I think it should be a done deal.

Unfortunately, all too often this is not what actually happens. Many of you may have read (in another thread) about my recent experience with this very topic back in Mar of this year when an AC1 was offered for sale and I called and said, "I'll Take It". The seller then decided he wanted to wait and see if one of his "regular customers" wanted it at that same price. Needless to say, I was not able to get the book, even though I agreed to pay the full asking price. (This, however, was not a Comic Link deal).

After reading this thread, I started thinking about a recent transaction I made with a fellow board member. He had a number of books listed on C-Link and we made an agreement for him to sell me the books. I received the books last week and when I went on C-Link a few minutes ago, I can see that they are all still listed there. I am guessing he just forgot to take them off the exchange. Thus if someone hits the buy button on any of those books, they are not going to be able to get them.

Really?

If someone beat my offer, and I was not willing to go higher, I would not fault the seller for getting top dollar.

Go higher? Let's not confuse facts here. In my case as in that of others- it was an outright purchase that was cancelled. There is no higher. My purchase was top dollar on the exchange. Now if the seller is not forthcoming with what s/he is looking to sell the book for and is using the exchange to entice bids- that's not right.

Really?

Is that how you operate as a Seller? Offer a book, accept the price and then breach?

First. A contract consists of 3 things. An offer, an acceptance, and consideration (usually money). If a person offers a book for sale and a person agrees to buy it at that price then I think it should be a done deal.

Unfortunately, all too often this is not what actually happens. Many of you may have read (in another thread) about my recent experience with this very topic back in Mar of this year when an AC1 was offered for sale and I called and said, "I'll Take It". The seller then decided he wanted to wait and see if one of his "regular customers" wanted it at that same price. Needless to say, I was not able to get the book, even though I agreed to pay the full asking price. (This, however, was not a Comic Link deal).

After reading this thread, I started thinking about a recent transaction I made with a fellow board member. He had a number of books listed on C-Link and we made an agreement for him to sell me the books. I received the books last week and when I went on C-Link a few minutes ago, I can see that they are all still listed there. I am guessing he just forgot to take them off the exchange. Thus if someone hits the buy button on any of those books, they are not going to be able to get them.

Sorry to hear about your AC1 experience- must have been really frustrating. I find it frustrating when the book in question is scarce. It's one thing when a seller rescinds on a book that I can get sometime thereafter. Quite another when the book surfaces once every few years. One of these days we are going to read somewhere about a breach of contract action involving a seller rescinding a buyer's accepting the offer to sell a book.

Good point about the "forgotten books" on the exchange. C-Link can also resolve this by having there IT person(s) build a "reminder" notification into the system- simply reminding the seller that the book has been on the exchange for X amount of time and whether it's still available.

Sorry to hear about your AC1 experience- must have been really frustrating. I find it frustrating when the book in question is scarce. It's one thing when a seller rescinds on a book that I can get sometime thereafter. Quite another when the book surfaces once every few years. One of these days we are going to read somewhere about a breach of contract action involving a seller rescinding a buyer's accepting the offer to sell a book.

Good point about the "forgotten books" on the exchange. C-Link can also resolve this by having there IT person(s) build a "reminder" notification into the system- simply reminding the seller that the book has been on the exchange for X amount of time and whether it's still available.

Yes, losing out on the AC1 was more than frustrating. After all, it is not every day that a low grade, complete, unrestored AC1 comes to market. It would have found a nice home and completed my run, but it was not meant to be. I had to accept that and believe there is a reason things turn out the way they do.

As for the "reminder" feature, this is a good idea. Given CLInk does not yet have this feature, however, I should probably contact the board member who just sold me 6 books and remind him that they are all still on CLink, so that some other person does not end up in the same frustrating position as the OP.

As for the Copper Age Kid's thoughts that it would be ok for a seller to accept a higher offer AFTER accepting his offer, that I cannot agree with. I believe that once a deal is stuck, it is unethical to go back on that deal. I believe that a "handshake is a deal". I also know that my word is my bond and my word means far more to me than profit or ANY comic book. I can always make more money or buy another book. My reputation, however, is something that once damaged, can never be truly repaired. You are either a man of your word or you are not. It is that simple. At least it is for me.

Really?

Is that how you operate as a Seller? Offer a book, accept the price and then breach?

Hold the phone, hoss.....no, that is not how I operate as a seller.

I was playing devil's advocate.

If I were a seller, I would honor an accepted offer, regardless of any other offers I may have received.

However, that does not mean that Comic Link would be able to force the sale, if the book was not in their possession.

Yes, losing out on the AC1 was more than frustrating. After all, it is not every day that a low grade, complete, unrestored AC1 comes to market. It would have found a nice home and completed my run, but it was not meant to be. I had to accept that and believe there is a reason things turn out the way they do.

As for the "reminder" feature, this is a good idea. Given CLInk does not yet have this feature, however, I should probably contact the board member who just sold me 6 books and remind him that they are all still on CLink, so that some other person does not end up in the same frustrating position as the OP.

As for the Copper Age Kid's thoughts that it would be ok for a seller to accept a higher offer AFTER accepting his offer, that I cannot agree with. I believe that once a deal is stuck, it is unethical to go back on that deal. I believe that a "handshake is a deal". I also know that my word is my bond and my word means far more to me than profit or ANY comic book. I can always make more money or buy another book. My reputation, however, is something that once damaged, can never be truly repaired. You are either a man of your word or you are not. It is that simple. At least it is for me.

Eh, that's not what I said.I said that I could not hold anything against the seller for renigging on an accepted offer, in favor of a higher figure.

Really?

If I were a seller, I would honor an accepted offer, regardless of any other offers I may have received.

However, that does not mean that Comic Link would be able to force the sale, if the book was not in their possession.

Did you just pretend the incident that happened on ebay didn't happen or are you just playing devil's devil's advocate again.

Did you not auction a Suicide Squad 1 CGC on ebay? Did it not sell below GPA? Did you then cancel the listing and refund the buyers money? Did you then not try and sell it on ebay through the boards at a GPA high to get GPA higher?

Man the mess that you type must be covered in rainbows and sparkles for you to believe it.

Really?

Did you just pretend the incident that happened on ebay didn't happen or are you just playing devil's devil's advocate again.

Did you not auction a Suicide Squad 1 CGC on ebay? Did it not sell below GPA? Did you then cancel the listing and refund the buyers money? Did you then not try and sell it on ebay through the boards at a GPA high to get GPA higher?

Man the mess that you type must be covered in rainbows and sparkles for you to believe it.

Yay, harrassment.

Really?

Yay, harrassment.

Gotcha you can do what you want. Say what you want and deflect when you want. However if someone calls you out on it it is harassment (thumbs u

Really?

I find it funny that someone humped the button on Iceman's last post, I wonder who it was hm

Really?

Yay, harrassment.

Gotcha you can do what you want. Say what you want and deflect when you want. However if someone calls you out on it it is harassment (thumbs u

1)

No.

This has been thoroughly discussed in a 25+ page thread.

2)

I do not care for your tone, which is far from courteous.Your statements are also heavily mired in selective reasoning, clearly depicting myself as not being on the level.

Why would I want to engage myself,and spend time on a topic that has already been discussed?

3)

The moderators closed the forementioned 25+ page thread, as it became unproductive.Yet, after the thread has been closed, you want to start back up on a topic that was thoroughly discussed over 25+ pages, ....what, at least 6 months after the original thread was closed.

--------------------------

Chief, that is the textbook definition of harrassment.

--------------------------

Chief you can't claim one thing and then do the exact opposite.

Selective reasoning? Where?

You aren't on the level. You stated in the thread you didn't want to sell it for below GPA because it was a newstand and deserved above GPA pricing. That is the exact same breach you are PREACHING about upholding here. That is the textbook definition of hypocrite. But I'm sure you'll hump this post too.

Harassment:

Harassment occurs when someone:

makes unwelcome remarks or jokes about your race, religion, sex, age, disability or any other of the 11 grounds of discrimination.

threatens or intimidates you.

makes unwelcome physical contact with you, such as touching, patting, pinching or punching, which can also be considered assault.

race

national or ethnic origin

colour

religion

sex

sexual orientation

marital status

family status

disability

a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended.

Of which none have been touched on, next you will claim I'm bullying you for pointing out how you swing which ever way you think should be swung at the time.

You aren't on the level. You stated in the thread you didn't want to sell it for below GPA because it was a newstand and deserved above GPA pricing. That is the exact same breach you are PREACHING about upholding here. That is the textbook definition of hypocrite. But I'm sure you'll hump this post too.

You summarized the events of the thread to fit your end.

Go back and read over the 25 pages, without the prejudiced intent of slander that you have towards me, and you will see my recollection is correct.Not yours.

Remember that the thread was closed for being unproductive.

Why you think I would want to spend yet more on my time on an issue that has already been closed is beyond me...especially since you broached the issue on distinctly less than friendly terms.

You summarized the events of the thread to fit your end.

Go back and read over the 25 pages, without the prejudiced intent of slander that you have towards me, and you will see my recollection is correct.Not yours.

Remember that the thread was closed for being unproductive.

Why you think I would want to spend yet more on my time on an issue that has already been closed is beyond me...especially since you broached the issue on distinctly less than friendly terms.

Oh I did and you quickly tried to change how you portrayed everything so that you didn't come off like the guy who screwed the buyer out of a book at a less than GPA price after everyone called you out on it