• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman (1989) Revisited

47 posts in this topic

Wow, what a movie, and double Wow, what a music score! For some reason I took the time to rewatch this superhero classic last night and it was pleased how well it stands up to time. For comic book fans, I think we should all be thankful that this was done right and became the success that it did. Whenever a discussion comes up on the board about which movie is the best superhero movie of all time, I typically pick Superman the Movie and with good reason. However, there are times that I want to put the 1989 version of Batman in that spot. I think the magic of both movies is that they honestly convey the traditional look and feel of both characters that we grew up with in the comics, which is no easy feat when wanting to appeal to a bigger audience. If there is any doubt this could have turned out bad for Batman in the 1989 movie, just watch Batman 3 and 4 (and exact same thing can be said for Superman the Movie). Tim Burton was a genius.

Now, on to what worked:

1. Look and feel of Gotham. I still love Burton’s version. Gotham city was gothic. It’s like the early ‘70s version of the comics was recreated on the screen. Just incredible.

2. The Batmobile. This version is still my favorite.

3. Nicholson’s Joker. I know it was considered over the top, but shouldn’t he be? The costume, makeup and mannerisms... just fantastic.

4. Plenty of Batman in costume. Still think the alley fight with the sword guy was best short action sequence. What a cool look.

5. The music score. It’s perfect. I mean, perfect. The music fits the character and the action on the screen, while giving enough variation to not be overly repetitive. (I wish I could say the same for Batman v Superman). My two favorite pieces of score in the movie, other than the Batman Theme, are the scene of Batman taking Vickie Vale to the Batcave through the forest and the final scene.

6. The Batwing flying above the clouds in front of the moon. That’s just pure eye candy for us comic book guys.

7. Billy Dee Williams. Still the smoothest and most suave actor to grace the big screen.

8. Batsuit. Still the best to this day. Classic.

9. There’s so much more, like the armor room in Wayne mansion, Jack Palance, and the Batcave, but I have to stop somewhere.

What did not work:

1. Vickie Vale’s car. What was it? A Citation? Surely they could have put her in just about anything else. For some reason, it didn’t fit the scene outside of Wayne Mansion and still bugs me to this day.

2. Lt. Eckhart. His voice… not sure what they were going for here. In some ways, I thought he fit the feel of a Gotham city guy, but in some ways, it just came across as odd. As an aside, terrible job of dying after being shot by Joker.

3. Joker’s gang. Just doesn’t do anything for me. Almost seemed like they were going for the tv show look of the ‘60s. BTW, this (bad guys associated with the villain) gets much worse in Batman 3. One exception, the big dude that takes Batman on in the Cathedral tower. Dude was a bad mofo.

4. Some of Prince’s music in the movie. However, I liked Macy Gray’s piece.

5. Alfred letting Vicki Vale in to see Bruce in Batcave. Fire Alfred, fire him now.

6. Finally, the big gun that the Joker pulls out to take down the Batwing. C’mon man, seriously?

One final note: I love the Chris Nolan version of Batman as well. Bale pulled it off really well and I probably watch those movies at least once a year. Great stuff. However, for the classic, well done version of the caped crusader, it’s hard to beat the Michael Keaton/Tim Burton version, and… give me the Danny Elfman Batman music any day of the week.

Now, on to what worked:

1. Look and feel of Gotham. I still love Burton’s version. Gotham city was gothic. It’s like the early ‘70s version of the comics was recreated on the screen. Just incredible.

Anton Furst's designs. He deserves the credit here.

Wow, what a movie, and double Wow, what a music score! For some reason I took the time to rewatch this superhero classic last night and it was pleased how well it stands up to time. For comic book fans, I think we should all be thankful that this was done right and became the success that it did. Whenever a discussion comes up on the board about which movie is the best superhero movie of all time, I typically pick Superman the Movie and with good reason. However, there are times that I want to put the 1989 version of Batman in that spot. I think the magic of both movies is that they honestly convey the traditional look and feel of both characters that we grew up with in the comics, which is no easy feat when wanting to appeal to a bigger audience. If there is any doubt this could have turned out bad for Batman in the 1989 movie, just watch Batman 3 and 4 (and exact same thing can be said for Superman the Movie). Tim Burton was a genius.

:applause:

There was a thread a while back I think from CC where he noted how big this movie was for the hobby.

As far as why Batman 3 & 4 turned out bad, blame the audience. The feedback from parents about Batman 2 was that it was not 'comic booky enough' and needed to be simplified so anyone could enjoy it.

Joel Schumacher Talks 'Batman Forever' Legacy In Exclusive Interview

There's another article that covers the parent feedback that landed at Warner Bros. executive desks concerning Batman Returns McDonald's toys, and how they felt it was inappropriate to encourage kids to watch this film until the content was more simple.

But it is Joel Schumacher who blames himself for taking it too far.

Who Joel Schumacher Blames For Batman & Robin Sucking

"I just hope whenever I see a list of the worst movies ever made, we’re not on it. I didn’t do a good job. George did. Chris [O’Donnell] did. Uma [Thurman] is brilliant in it. Arnold is Arnold."

Now, on to what worked:

1. Look and feel of Gotham. I still love Burtons version. Gotham city was gothic. Its like the early 70s version of the comics was recreated on the screen. Just incredible.

3. Nicholsons Joker. I know it was considered over the top, but shouldnt he be? The costume, makeup and mannerisms... just fantastic.

4. Plenty of Batman in costume. Still think the alley fight with the sword guy was best short action sequence. What a cool look.

5. The music score. Its perfect. I mean, perfect. The music fits the character and the action on the screen, while giving enough variation to not be overly repetitive. (I wish I could say the same for Batman v Superman). My two favorite pieces of score in the movie, other than the Batman Theme, are the scene of Batman taking Vickie Vale to the Batcave through the forest and the final scene.

6. The Batwing flying above the clouds in front of the moon. Thats just pure eye candy for us comic book guys.

7. Billy Dee Williams. Still the smoothest and most suave actor to grace the big screen.

9. Theres so much more, like the armor room in Wayne mansion, Jack Palance, and the Batcave, but I have to stop somewhere.

What did not work:

1. Vickie Vales car. What was it? A Citation? Surely they could have put her in just about anything else. For some reason, it didnt fit the scene outside of Wayne Mansion and still bugs me to this day.

2. Lt. Eckhart. His voice not sure what they were going for here. In some ways, I thought he fit the feel of a Gotham city guy, but in some ways, it just came across as odd. As an aside, terrible job of dying after being shot by Joker.

3. Jokers gang. Just doesnt do anything for me. Almost seemed like they were going for the tv show look of the 60s. BTW, this (bad guys associated with the villain) gets much worse in Batman 3. One exception, the big dude that takes Batman on in the Cathedral tower. Dude was a bad mofo.

4. Some of Princes music in the movie. However, I liked Macy Grays piece.

5. Alfred letting Vicki Vale in to see Bruce in Batcave. Fire Alfred, fire him now.

6. Finally, the big gun that the Joker pulls out to take down the Batwing. Cmon man, seriously?

One final note: I love the Chris Nolan version of Batman as well. Bale pulled it off really well and I probably watch those movies at least once a year. Great stuff. However, for the classic, well done version of the caped crusader, its hard to beat the Michael Keaton/Tim Burton version, and give me the Danny Elfman Batman music any day of the week.

Still the best super hero movie of all time.

Now, on to what worked:

1. Look and feel of Gotham. I still love Burtons version. Gotham city was gothic. Its like the early 70s version of the comics was recreated on the screen. Just incredible.

3. Nicholsons Joker. I know it was considered over the top, but shouldnt he be? The costume, makeup and mannerisms... just fantastic.

5. The music score. Its perfect. I mean, perfect. The music fits the character and the action on the screen, while giving enough variation to not be overly repetitive. (I wish I could say the same for Batman v Superman). My two favorite pieces of score in the movie, other than the Batman Theme, are the scene of Batman taking Vickie Vale to the Batcave through the forest and the final scene.

6. The Batwing flying above the clouds in front of the moon. Thats just pure eye candy for us comic book guys.

9. Theres so much more, like the armor room in Wayne mansion, Jack Palance, and the Batcave, but I have to stop somewhere.

What did not work:

1. Vickie Vales car. What was it? A Citation? Surely they could have put her in just about anything else. For some reason, it didnt fit the scene outside of Wayne Mansion and still bugs me to this day.

2. Lt. Eckhart. His voice not sure what they were going for here. In some ways, I thought he fit the feel of a Gotham city guy, but in some ways, it just came across as odd. As an aside, terrible job of dying after being shot by Joker.

3. Jokers gang. Just doesnt do anything for me. Almost seemed like they were going for the tv show look of the 60s. BTW, this (bad guys associated with the villain) gets much worse in Batman 3. One exception, the big dude that takes Batman on in the Cathedral tower. Dude was a bad mofo.

4. Some of Princes music in the movie. However, I liked Macy Grays piece.

6. Finally, the big gun that the Joker pulls out to take down the Batwing. Cmon man, seriously?

One final note: I love the Chris Nolan version of Batman as well. Bale pulled it off really well and I probably watch those movies at least once a year. Great stuff. However, for the classic, well done version of the caped crusader, its hard to beat the Michael Keaton/Tim Burton version, and give me the Danny Elfman Batman music any day of the week.

Still the best super hero movie of all time.

If not the best, it's up there at the top for sure

Now, on to what worked:

Anton Furst's designs. He deserves the credit here.

You are correct. I saw a documentary about the making of Batman that mentioned him. He was genius with the set designs for the movie.

This is one of the annoying moments for me. Superheroes, as a rule, keep their secret identities a tightly guarded secret but Alfred just blows the lid off of it.

It was a great movie when it came out. It's fun and it definitely hits the "nostalgia" button, but I wouldn't put it in the "greatest" conversation. The Nolan movies are far superior, IMO.

The Burton movie is a bit cheesy. It's very "Burton" though, and he was probably the best choice at that time to do a superhero movie.

I know a lot of people loved Keaton as Batman/Bruce, but he never worked for me. Bale looks like he can kick some arse, Keaton doesn't.

Nicholson was great and was the highlight of the movie. He was a more sinister version of the Romero TV version. I thought he worked, especially in the type of film the 89 movie was.

Alfred letting Vale into the cave bothered me as well. I didn't particularly like Basinger in the movie at all.

I enjoyed it when it was released but was still somewhat disappointed when I left the cinema. I wanted a serious Batman movie and this just still felt too much like the TV show. I much prefer the sequel, Batman Returns - the Gothic feel is really turned up a notch in that movie.

I liked it better than the others, but it did have some of the TV Show camp in it. Darker than the show, obviously, but still campy. What else would Burton have done though?

I enjoyed it when it was released but was still somewhat disappointed when I left the cinema. I wanted a serious Batman movie and this just still felt too much like the TV show. I much prefer the sequel, Batman Returns - the Gothic feel is really turned up a notch in that movie.

It was good, but I didn't exactly leave the cinema feeling blown away by a comics masterpiece.

Burton's work can seem formulaic now, looking back; repetitive gothic atmosphere and circus sideshow freak villains and henchmen, the latter especially noticeable in Batman Returns.

I was also disappointed when I left the cinema, for the same reason. It was entertaining and I can see why people like the movie, it's just not what I wanted in a Batman movie. However, I do prefer it to Batman Returns.

I was also disappointed when I left the cinema, for the same reason. It was entertaining and I can see why people like the movie, it's just not what I wanted in a Batman movie. However, I do prefer it to Batman Returns.

I would say, at the time, it didn't impact me the same way that Capt. America 3 did a few months ago, but with some time it has struck me as a very solid superhero movie and one of the best. it put the Batman and Gotham City that I was most familiar and put it faithfully on the screen.

Alfred letting Vale into the cave bothered me as well. I didn't particularly like Basinger in the movie at all.
What if Sean Young didn't do a humpty Dumpty off her horse and she got to still play her after she was originally cast. :eek:

I like Basinger in it. Like us (the audience,) she is being introduced to this freakish world (as she last minute fills in for Young.) This really comes across well on-screen.

Robert Wuhl's role doesn't hold up very well. My 2c

Setting personal tastes aside, just from a design perspective, it's tough to see the Keaton Batsuit as "Best" or "Classic". imho.

It's basically a Rubber Muscle Suit with a cool cape. (the cape being the best feature)

It was stiff on camera. Keaton couldn't turn his head at the neck. The Batman fights looked extremely limited, stand-up straight kicks and punches.

It was head-to-toe Black, with visual contrast coming from the chest symbol and belt.

The Keaton Batsuit wasn't a disaster, not saying that, but there is MUCH better out there. The fanfilm Batman: Dead End comes immediately to mind. Very "comic book", visually.

030724badbat.jpg

b1_1.jpg

It was cartoony and fun. As a fan of Betelguse as well, it definitely is iconic. Batman Returns however, was not good. Even though Michelle Pfifer was in it (She is damned sexy, and if you don't think so, go watch Scarface again)

It was cartoony and fun. As a fan of Betelguse as well, it definitely is iconic. Batman Returns however, was not good. Even though Michelle Pfifer was in it (She is damned sexy, and if you don't think so, go watch Scarface again)
Annette Bening would have rocked it too and if you don't think so, go watch The Grifters again. ;)

Annette Bening would have rocked it too and if you don't think so, go watch The Grifters again. ;)

I could agree to that. Both are better than Kim Basinger