• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman (1989) Revisited

47 posts in this topic

I'm just curious, how many boardies here saw the Keaton/Nicholson Batman as their first Batman movie on the big screen? How many boardies saw any of the Nolan movies as their first Batman movie on the big screen? I'd love to read those different types of opinions on the movies. lol(thumbs u

As a teenager I thought the 1989 Batman was awesome. It was great to see the villain play such a huge role in such a movie too. One hero, one villain. :applause:

"You look fine."

"I didn't ask." :sumo:

I'm just curious, how many boardies here saw the Keaton/Nicholson Batman as their first Batman movie on the big screen? How many boardies saw any of the Nolan movies as their first Batman movie on the big screen? I'd love to read those different types of opinions on the movies. lol(thumbs u

As a teenager I thought the 1989 Batman was awesome. It was great to see the villain play such a huge role in such a movie too. One hero, one villain. :applause:

"You look fine."

"I didn't ask." :sumo:

Saw the Keaton Movie on the big screen. I think I was 14 at the time. I was always a big fan of superheroes but for some reason this movie inspired me to become a serious comic collector, although I went on to primarily collect Marvels. But suffice to say this movie made a huge impression on me and was the driving force behind pursuing this hobby. This movie stands the test of time. It was gritty, had great sets and colors, Nicholson was a great choice for the Joker but the big surprise was how well Keaton nailed the role.

I saw the Keaton movie on the big screen. I was 10 years old and it made quite the impression on me. My parents bought the VHS for me when it came out and I watched it often. I saw Batman Returns on the big screen too.

After seeing the trainwrecks that were Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, my buddies had to force me to the theaters to see Batman Begins. I was afraid of being let down again.

I love the Nolan trilogy but the 1989 Batman film holds a special place for me.

The difference between Batman and all the other superhero based movies and TV shows until then was, first and foremost, the press coverage:

This was also the first movie that came out and received a wide press coverage discussing current trending events in comicdom.

Watch how thoroughly the press went after Frank Miller's the Dark Knight when discussing this film:

(FWD to 4:00 into the video)

This was pretty much the writing on the wall for comic book fans: comic books are now mature, sophisticated, cool. And this movie will be the messenger of this statement.

Warner Bros. re-released the Batman DVD a few years back, which included three specials which were posted in the 'wonderful featurettes' thread.

Those wonderful featurettes from our beloved comic book productions

Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight #1 (with Stan Lee).

THE ROAD TO GOTHAM!

Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight #2 (with Tim Burton, Sam Hamm, Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Sean Young).

THE GATHERING STORM!

Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight #3 (with Tim Burton, Sam Hamm, Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Kim Basinger, Jenette Kahn, and Bob Kane).

THE LEGEND REBORN!

Shares how the Batman (1989) movie was massively advertised, the impact that came from the movie, and how theaters were being mobbed prior to opening people were so excited to see it.

Enjoy!

Warner Bros. re-released the Batman DVD a few years back, which included three specials which were posted in the 'wonderful featurettes' thread.

Enjoy!

I think I will. Thanks for providing these.