• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much would you pay per comic?

7 posts in this topic

This is the crazy guy from Alaska again. I am posting on the Silver Age comics because I want to know what would be a good offer on a collection.

I taught school out in Nulato, Alaska for five years. While I was there there was another white guy who ran the town. His youngest daughter got into high school and he moved in to Fairbanks as well.

He is a card and autograph nut. But here is the rub. He used to collect Silver Age from 1968-1974 Marvel, DC and EC. He was mainly into different super heros.(Spidey, Ff, Avengers, Xmen and Conan) He left his collection in boxes and has the stood up on a shelf in Cleveland Ohio where they have been for 30 + years. He says he has most of the runs of marvel but has checked overstreet and has told me that he read the comics so he believes that most are VG+/FN. He knows card conditions extremely well so I believe him. He probably has 300-500 comics that he bought off the stand and they have been taken care off. Some keys have been cherrypicked(ASM129) for instance. I am wondering should I ask him for a sample of 20 issues of worst, middle and best and see if I can give him an offer of maybe 5 dollars per book. Or should I pay him per grade. He believes that it might be good to get rid of them. He knows values and grades enough that I won't get them all for $100 or something.

I would find out if he has a price in mind for them. Then you can negotiate from that point.

Otherwise you would have to view the books before giving any sort of estimate. Grade is a huge factor in price. I wouldn't even make an offer until you have seen the books.

This is the crazy guy from Alaska again. I am posting on the Silver Age comics because I want to know what would be a good offer on a collection.

I taught school out in Nulato, Alaska for five years. While I was there there was another white guy who ran the town. His youngest daughter got into high school and he moved in to Fairbanks as well.

He is a card and autograph nut. But here is the rub. He used to collect Silver Age from 1968-1974 Marvel, DC and EC. He was mainly into different super heros.(Spidey, Ff, Avengers, Xmen and Conan) He left his collection in boxes and has the stood up on a shelf in Cleveland Ohio where they have been for 30 + years. He says he has most of the runs of marvel but has checked overstreet and has told me that he read the comics so he believes that most are VG+/FN. He knows card conditions extremely well so I believe him. He probably has 300-500 comics that he bought off the stand and they have been taken care off. Some keys have been cherrypicked(ASM129) for instance. I am wondering should I ask him for a sample of 20 issues of worst, middle and best and see if I can give him an offer of maybe 5 dollars per book. Or should I pay him per grade. He believes that it might be good to get rid of them. He knows values and grades enough that I won't get them all for $100 or something.

present us some accurate/real info. first... wink.gif

Nulato is a Koyukon Athabaskan town. Every other person in the town including the rest of the teachers were from the town were Athabaskan. He and I were the only outsiders. He grew up in Cleveland Ohio and was a missionary there after college.

He found out that I had a collection of Bronze Age Conans and Daredevils and would constantly try to get me to get into cards. He would ask me if I needed specific bronze age conans because he knew I liked BWS.

After we had both moved from the town- We started talking about comics and he told me more about this collection. I guess he would check on it about every five years. It is in a dry cool room stacked on a shelf. They aren't bagged but are held with with cedar wood blocks. He has told me that there is no water damage and that they occupy about 8 feet of shelving. He said that his brother took out a couple of the ASM but the rest of the comics are from when he left in 1974.

I moved from Nulato because my son grew to be in the 4th grade and needed the social imprinting to allow him to live in urban as well as bush Alaskan environments. Imagine not leaving the same town for 11 months of the year and no stores, movie theaters, comic stores, or anything else. Kids that socialize in villages at that age get sort of imprinted to life in the bush and go native. There are teacher's kids found throughout rural Alaska who don't even leave for college( live as second class citizens) while their parents have moved to other places. I am not bitter. I loved the people and the place. I am a realist and I can tell you that if you believe that you could live there forever you would be greeted by the local people who called you a gisak even if you lived with them for 30 years as my friend did.

I am about 1/4 quarter Sioux Indian but I am definitely considered white by the people of Nulato. The other guy left when his youngest daughter(he married into the village) reached the 9th grade. We both have strong ties to the village and have been asked to dress for those how have passed in their traditional stickdance. A ceremony that calls the spirits of the departed to take the spirits of those who have recently died.

I think I will take the advice of getting maybe twenty of the books and seeing what quality they are.

Thanks for the education. Spent a few months in the Anchorage area

in the late '50's as a kid while my dad did his Air Force TOD at a

dinky radar installation called Murphy's Dome.

Ran into similar situations off the air force base. Out in the

aboriginal settlements, a fat faced little white boy was just

a tad out of his element.

Best of luck with the deal.