• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine storyline recommendations?

32 posts in this topic

Thanks again guys, will certainly check these out. Was Origin any good? Also, any suggestions on reading order? By publication date or chronologically by when in Logan's life the stories take place? Or does it matter?

The Best of Wolverine volume 1 is a good hardcover. It's iut of print but only like 30 bucks. I think it has Hulk 181, Captain America Annual 8, Weapon X storyline from MCP, X-Men 205 and the Wolverine miniseries from 1982.

+1

An excellent collection of material with some really nice remastered artwork.

For sure the best bang for the buck.

Reading order

Hulk 180/181

GSX 1

X-men 133

X-men 141/142

Wolverine mini 1-4

Kitty Pryde & Wolverine 1-6

X-men 205

Wolverine 10

Hulk 340

Spiderman/wolverine

Weapon x - marvel co,ics presents 72-84

Wolverine 75

Wolverine 119-122

IMHO

BTW, the Wolverine Mini Series directly leads into Uncanny X-Men #172-173 (two of my all-time favorite UXM issues) and really should, no, make that MUST, be read together. And, with #173 ending on a bit of a cliffhanger, you really should read #174-176 as well to get the full resolution of the Wolverine in Japan storyline (even though that's not the main focus of those issues; there are a few pages across those issues which resolve the Japan storyline, though).

Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men Volume No. 9 reprints the entire Wolvie mini-series plus UXM #172-175 (among other issues). You'll have to get #176 separately to get the resolution of the Mariko storyline, though.

I'd pretty much recommend the entire 1988 series, but here's some favorites of mine:

48-50 (a Weapon X retrospective)

51-53 (Crunch Conundrum)

60-64 (more Weapon X that ties into 48-50)

145-148 (Apocalypse: The 12, this spans multiple titles though)

150-153 (Wolverine vs. Japan)

181-186 (Wolverine enters an uneasy alliance with the mob)

Best Wolverine books IMHO ever written were Wolverine 1-4 (80's mini by Miller) and the Old Man Logan storyline (Wolverine volume 3 ,#66-72).

I'd read Miller's mini first, than the Old Man Logan run.

You should be able to get TPB's of both runs for less than $40, together.

I enjoyed Jim Lee's run on X-Men in 1991 (issues #1-12) while not strictly a Wolverine story issues 4-6 with Omega Red were great (from what I recall from being a kid). As was the fatal attractions storyline (culminating in the loss of his adamantium in X-Men 25).

I'd pretty much recommend the entire 1988 series, but here's some favorites of mine:

I got the TPB that covers these issues, Blood Debt, started it and never even finished. I found it to be terrible.

Best Wolverine books IMHO ever written were Wolverine 1-4 (80's mini by Miller) and the Old Man Logan storyline (Wolverine volume 3 ,#66-72).

I'd read Miller's mini first, than the Old Man Logan run.

You should be able to get TPB's of both runs for less than $40, together.

Correction:

Chris Claremont wrote the Wolverine Mini and Miller drew it.

I got the TPB that covers these issues, Blood Debt, started it and never even finished. I found it to be terrible.

I'm telling Steve Skroce! :devil: