• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clink Featured Auction Summer 2016

26 posts in this topic

There you go.

The Cdn books they recently CGC'd have the same problem.

CGC entered one copy with the date 1900 (ie date unknown) and one copy with date say 1942, end result, two databases.

Phegh.

I'm not sure the census means much with those Canadian books; I suspect that the vast majority of them are still raw because they weren't on collectors' radar until fairly recently. I have my doubts about which of them are actually rare (although some might be).

The print runs are so low, and had such limited distribution, all the true Canadian whites (WECA books) will be rare relative to the majority of the corresponding time period for American printed books. Higher dollar sales will certainly shake some of these books loose from collections. Time will tell for certain, but I am very confident there are not many out there. I have been searching for them long enough to appreciate the scarcity of these books in almost any condition. I get excited even if I find one beat up copy of one out in the wild because they are so uncommon to locate.

Of course the census means nothing. A given. And of course they are rare -- another given. I live in Canada and I saw a grand total of two pre Internet. It just stands to reason. 10% of the population and worse distribution - with that in mind why would you doubt it? Just curious as it seems a little US centric offhand.. but then maybe you think I'm being Canadian centric. I just know I've collected comics on and off practically my whole life, in Canada, and it was many years before I even knew they existed.

Or, take Doug Sulipa. He has stated publicly that he's handled millions of US comics since the 1970s but a grand total of 200-300 whites over those 40 years despite being based in Canada and despite specializing in off the beaten path stuff.

Naturally some are rarer than others, but that's hardly surprising.

Of course the census means nothing. A given. And of course they are rare -- another given. I live in Canada and I never saw a grand total of two pre Internet. It just stands to reason. 10% of the population and worse distribution - with that in mind why would you doubt it? Just curious as it seems a little US centric offhand.. but then maybe you think I'm being Canadian centric. I just know I've collected comics on and off practically my whole life, in Canada, and it was many years before I even knew they existed.

Or, take Doug Sulipa. He has stated publicly that he's handled millions of US comics since the 1970s but a grand total of 200-300 whites over those 40 years despite being based in Canada and despite specializing in off the beaten path stuff.

What he said..... Canadian Golden Age Whites are INCREDIBLY RARE... it took over a decade and much luck and skill to accumulate my collection. To suggest they are not rare is an absolute fallacy (tsk)

Of course the census means nothing. A given. And of course they are rare -- another given. I live in Canada and I never saw a grand total of two pre Internet. It just stands to reason. 10% of the population and worse distribution - with that in mind why would you doubt it? Just curious as it seems a little US centric offhand.. but then maybe you think I'm being Canadian centric. I just know I've collected comics on and off practically my whole life, in Canada, and it was many years before I even knew they existed.

What he said..... Canadian Golden Age Whites are INCREDIBLY RARE... it took over a decade and much luck and skill to accumulate my collection. To suggest they are not rare is an absolute fallacy (tsk)

I love Canadian issues of Batman :luhv: , well that and the Wisard of Oz :insane:

I love Canadian issues of Batman :luhv:

well, and that I think is the confusion. Canadian editions of US comics aren't especially rare. Probably 15x rarer than the US edition, but still, for a big title like batman, not rare.

Proper Cdn whites have no correlating US edition and are rare, IMO, in a way that makes most everything else look common.

Good rule of thumb is that if its a Cdn comic from world war 2, its going to be very, very rare. Later books, (Cdn editions of US comics), not so much. That's somewhat oversimplifying, but still, that's pretty much it.

I agree with Bronty and Stephen 100% here. I have only been collecting GA for around four years. I have 12 WECA books in my collection and this is only because I have been actively searching for them and have had some help from a few boardies. I try to buy them whenever I find a lead (though this does not always pan out). Despite my small collection, some of my WECA comics have less than 10 known copies. For the most part, these comics have continued to be affordable, but I have seen prices double or even triple in the past year or so compared to when I started searching for them. For our small brethren of whites collectors, this Clink auction is extremely important as a gauge for the market and because it may lead to unknown collections coming out of the woodwork (even though prices will be higher than before).

On the other hand, I see FECA books (late 40s CDN reprints) on a regular basis. So often that I generally only purchase hero and horror books, comics published by Superior or Bell Features, or unusual hybrids. There are many FECA titles that aren't that interesting (particularly Dells, westerns and humour stuff) that seem to languish away in comic shops. I love the DC and Timely hero reprints, but (for the most part) they are not hard to track down. I have as many DC reprints as I do actual whites and assume that most collectors of CDN books are in the same boat. The DC reprints aren't that rare compared to other FECA titles, but they are still worth buying if you find them.

Eventually, FECA books might garner more attention because what's on the cover is not always what's inside (especially for Bell Features comics) and the colour schemes are often quite different than the US originals. I suspect that some of the FECA books are as rare as WECA titles (I have a few that no one else seems to have). Interesting FECA books are incredibly undervalued IMO. Either way, I don't think we will see large caches of these books on any of the major auction sites in the foreseeable future. In the here and now

I am very impressed with the quality of comics (Canadian and American) in the Summer Clink auction. I'll be watching it closely.