• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dear God - did I just buy a modern foil cover book?? 1990s lessons not learned!

65 posts in this topic

i still enjoy looking at my lady death foil cover.....

I really wanted all three variants, but there was no way I could afford it. Nice catch :)

i still enjoy looking at my lady death foil cover.....

I really wanted all three variants, but there was no way I could afford it. Nice catch :)

They are all going for good money now, but like most comics, will they be worth anywhere close to that in a year or 2. They are the same comics as on the newsstands, only difference is the cover, great marketing on DC's part.

I guess maybe 1 possible comparable might be: Are there any 90's comics gimmick cover issues (foil/holofoil/metal ink/ #0, etc) for which the print run was less than 2500 (i.e. manufactured rarity) like the 1:300 variants we have today? If so, what do those go for today?

IIRC, the reason those gimmicks didn't do so well was because everyone was able to order multiples of them pushing the print run into the millions or at least hundreds of thousands.

Examples?

I guess maybe 1 possible comparable might be: Are there any 90's comics gimmick cover issues (foil/holofoil/metal ink/ #0, etc) for which the print run was less than 2500 (i.e. manufactured rarity) like the 1:300 variants we have today? If so, what do those go for today?

IIRC, the reason those gimmicks didn't do so well was because everyone was able to order multiples of them pushing the print run into the millions or at least hundreds of thousands.

Examples?

I don't remember anyone limiting print runs on purpose back in the 90s. Why would you when the books are selling like hot cakes - which of course backs up your theory. Maybe the relative scarcity of the new books will keep prices from tanking.