• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I being too picky?

25 posts in this topic

Question for the OP: all of the photos show the Newton Rings effect when the books are viewed at a sharp angle. What do they look like viewed head on?

The reason I ask is that these distortions of the plastic are often only observable when the slabs are held at a sharp angle, but aren't visible in the more common way to view a slab. I agree with others who've noticed the distortions from angled viewing of older slabs as well that it's been a longstanding issue.

Good question. In my experience, you can only see them at angles. They seem to disappear when viewed head on. They also seem to disappear in scans, which is a very, very good thing.

Question for the OP: all of the photos show the Newton Rings effect when the books are viewed at a sharp angle. What do they look like viewed head on?

The reason I ask is that these distortions of the plastic are often only observable when the slabs are held at a sharp angle, but aren't visible in the more common way to view a slab. I agree with others who've noticed the distortions from angled viewing of older slabs as well that it's been a longstanding issue.

Good question. In my experience, you can only see them at angles. They seem to disappear when viewed head on. They also seem to disappear in scans, which is a very, very good thing.

As I mentioned earlier, he also stands by the window and allows the sunlight to hit the plastic to make the rings more visible.

As I mentioned earlier, he also stands by the window and allows the sunlight to hit the plastic to make the rings more visible.

For the camera to pick it up, yes. In person its visible at any angle.

They were sent back to be re-holdered. Trying one more time then it is what it is :wishluck:

I received the 4 books back and most of them look better. Still much more newton effect than previous gen holders had but I'll live with it.

I did notice the new well shifts more often in the new holder. 5 of the 20 books I've gotten lately have been crooked. They can be shifted by tapping the case, though I'm sure that's not good for the book long haul. Anyone else notice this?