• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone else had issue with ComicLink lack of quality control?

64 posts in this topic

Many times those auctions are created well in advance. In that time frame it is feasible that other books are submitted to capture the top spot.

In other instances I have noticed that many books have descriptions that are 'stock' in nature. CLink and Comic Connect have both done this. I have seen current listings for books describing interest being at an all time high due to an upcoming movie that has already been released in the theaters and Blu Ray.

Shouldn't I as the bidder/buyer expect something listed as single highest grade be exactly that? They are getting more and higher bids because of how they are listing the item. More are going to bid & the final bid price is probably going to be higher than if the item were listed as 1 of 8 @ 9.8

The case of Zap Comix #2 CGC 9.2 listed as single highest and actually being 3rd shouldn't be blown off. There were 9 others graded higher. I find it hard to believe that nine other were graded higher after the auction was set up. I am finding they are doing this in every auction. All they would have to do is have a quality control person double check for this kind of thing before the auction goes live and there wouldn't be any problem.

Shouldn't you as the buyer do your own research before blowing your money? If not I have some nice land to sell you.

Why should it all be on the bidder/buyer? They (ComicLink) are representing the product on their site with a description to attract bids. Why should the bidder assume the company selling the product doesn't fact check their claims they represent? If a seller did the same practice selling on ebay everybody here would be ripping the seller. Why are so many taking Comiclink's side on this?

Many times those auctions are created well in advance. In that time frame it is feasible that other books are submitted to capture the top spot.

In other instances I have noticed that many books have descriptions that are 'stock' in nature. CLink and Comic Connect have both done this. I have seen current listings for books describing interest being at an all time high due to an upcoming movie that has already been released in the theaters and Blu Ray.

Shouldn't I as the bidder/buyer expect something listed as single highest grade be exactly that? They are getting more and higher bids because of how they are listing the item. More are going to bid & the final bid price is probably going to be higher than if the item were listed as 1 of 8 @ 9.8

The case of Zap Comix #2 CGC 9.2 listed as single highest and actually being 3rd shouldn't be blown off. There were 9 others graded higher. I find it hard to believe that nine other were graded higher after the auction was set up. I am finding they are doing this in every auction. All they would have to do is have a quality control person double check for this kind of thing before the auction goes live and there wouldn't be any problem.

Shouldn't you as the buyer do your own research before blowing your money? If not I have some nice land to sell you.

Why should it all be on the bidder/buyer? They (ComicLink) are representing the product on their site with a description to attract bids. Why should the bidder assume the company selling the product doesn't fact check their claims they represent? If a seller did the same practice selling on ebay everybody here would be ripping the seller. Why are so many taking Comiclink's side on this?

Because it's your money. There is no one on the entire planet who is more qualified to manage your money than you. The responsibility rests with you, the consumer, especially when the information you seek is at your fingertips.

The CGC census is free for anyone to use. All it takes is a couple of clicks to confirm what CLink says.

Should CLink's listings be accurate? Absolutely. No doubt. But, in the grand scheme of comic collecting, is it that egregious a problem? And if they're too lazy to correct the information after it's been pointed out to them, maybe the answer is to find another, more responsible venue? *I* don't always update that information on my eBay listings, and I readily admit that...and no one's ripping me.

Maybe the real question you ought to be asking yourself is why something being "highest graded, only copy" is such an important designation to you that it bothers you when it's not true....

I rarely buy CGC graded books and I never buy CGC graded books from someone that won't offer refunds just because a book happens to be CGC graded. Pretty easy math to figure out how many CGC graded books I've bought from Clink.

Like others have said, ultimately it's on you to check. It's gotten to the point for me where I rarely buy books on-line unless I know the person/business very well. I offer a no questions asked refund policy on books I sell and only buy from others who do the same.

Because we're probably old people that still believe in personal responsibility, and because the buyer has all of the access/ability to check independently....and b/c keeping this information up to date is an IMPOSSIBLE task.

I'll however say that if I were ComicLink and other sellers I'd offer a convenient link to CGC's census....and get out of the "puffing" about the book altogether.

Because we're probably old people that still believe in personal responsibility, and because the buyer has all of the access/ability to check independently....and b/c keeping this information up to date is an IMPOSSIBLE task.

I'll however say that if I were ComicLink and other sellers I'd offer a convenient link to CGC's census....and get out of the "puffing" about the book altogether.

So I, the customer, don't get what I pay for due to the seller false advertising a product on their supposedly reputable site, and it's my fault? Plus IT ISN'T AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK. I do it on a regular basis on ebay when I sell items.

I, the buyer, am supposed to assume that ComicLink is either completely negligent or flat out lying about their items that they advertise? Again, people on this site rip sellers on ebay and attempt to have them blocked for doing the same exact thing. Is there a double standard where ComicLink gets a free pass & if that same thing is done by a seller on ebay, they are vilified? That seems to be the answer based on the responses I have seen here.

So I, the customer, don't get what I pay for due to the seller false advertising a product on their supposedly reputable site, and it's my fault? Plus IT ISN'T AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK. I do it on a regular basis on ebay when I sell items.

I, the buyer, am supposed to assume that ComicLink is either completely negligent or flat out lying about their items that they advertise? Again, people on this site rip sellers on ebay and attempt to have them blocked for doing the same exact thing. Is there a double standard where ComicLink gets a free pass & if that same thing is done by a seller on ebay, they are vilified? That seems to be the answer based on the responses I have seen here.

We are technically still in July. It is still too early in the year to be this angry. Try to be nice and civil to one another... Watch from my example. I enjoy some of the music that you and your children make. Try to say something positive and the positive vibes will pass from one person to another.

Sounds like you're having purchase regret.

Perhaps you could call CGC and request all owners burn their copies and submit their singed labels back so you can roost on your perch. Better yet, call up Josh and demand a refund AND keep the book. I think that's fair. :insane:

BTW, I've gone and bought a book (after looking and confirming it was highest graded) and shortly after I get the book realized it's no longer top tog. It happens. Sounds like you're not cut out for the top graded market. Settle for a nice 9.4.

And btw, none of us here can do anything but solicit our opinion, which you requested. If you want resolution, I've never (and I will repeat) never had a problem with ComicLink making it right. However in this particular case I feel the responsibility (a dirty word in this day of victimhood) was squarely on you. I don't get the impression you know how the census works, and that it changes. And that even while a book is being sold/auctioned, it may in fact change. ComicLink is giving it's best effort to represent the book correctly, but does not own the data of CGC"s census. Which is why any "puffing" of a book is absolutely verified by a buyer if he/she cares about that.

I'm repeating myself expecting different results, and Einstein knows what that is. So I'll leave it there.

Since you asked, because it is kind of a ridiculous way to buy books. Who cares what the census is? If it is book you want at the grade you want and at the price you want - what difference does it make? The census could go up by 5, 10 or 50 in the time it takes to ship to you if they had the census correctly listed.

Comiclink has had their problems - missing books, incorrect page quality listed, poor return policy. However, setting aside the return policy, the other issues represent a very, very small percentage of their total transactions. They lost a book that I had won in an auction. I was pretty pissed but I also have had 40+ transactions over the last 10 years or so that went fine.

Since you asked, because it is kind of a ridiculous way to buy books. Who cares what the census is? If it is book you want at the grade you want and at the price you want - what difference does it make? The census could go up by 5, 10 or 50 in the time it takes to ship to you if they had the census correctly listed.

Comiclink has had their problems - missing books, incorrect page quality listed, poor return policy. However, setting aside the return policy, the other issues represent a very, very small percentage of their total transactions. They lost a book that I had won in an auction. I was pretty pissed but I also have had 40+ transactions over the last 10 years or so that went fine.

My customers care what the census is. It isn't ridiculous. As I stated before their (comiclink) item description can and will determine final bid price. Just look at the final bid price for single highest grade as opposed to just highest graded in the current auction. It's not even close. So obviously a lot of people care, even if you don't.

Shouldn't a buyer have a reasonable expectation that when they buy a product, that they actually get that product? The census will in all probability not go up by 50, as you claim. That's pretty ridiculous.

If I did what Comiclink is doing on a consistent basis as a seller on ebay, I would've gotten so much negative feedback I would be banned for it. There shouldn't be a double standard like there seems to be on these forums.

I'm glad your customers care about the census. So should you. And not depend on third party knowledge from dealers when they don't control the data. I've given you a nod that in my opinion no dealer should make ANY statement about a book's top census. That way, everyone will need to get off their lazy and check the census, like all good consumers. And that's the Kozmic Trooth.

zap2-1stb.jpg

I'm glad your customers care about the census. So should you. And not depend on third party knowledge from dealers when they don't control the data. I've given you a nod that in my opinion no dealer should make ANY statement about a book's top census. That way, everyone will need to get off their lazy and check the census, like all good consumers.

zap2-1stb.jpg

No.We should all expect someone to make our decisions for us :sumo:

^ I've got a graveyard of CGC labels from CRACKED slabs waiting to wreck havoc on the world.

Pitboss: I know right? Do I get my Walking Dead raw issues graded now, or are there 4 more good seasons left to rake in the money.....someone make the decision!!!! Long time no see!

Lately I've been much more disappointed by Comiclink's failure to provide tracking numbers for my shipments. I don't enjoy coming home to find a few hundred bucks worth of comics sitting on my porch with no prior notice. They used to be very good at sending emails with tracking numbers, but for several months not so much.

My customers care what the census is. It isn't ridiculous. As I stated before their (comiclink) item description can and will determine final bid price. Just look at the final bid price for single highest grade as opposed to just highest graded in the current auction. It's not even close. So obviously a lot of people care, even if you don't.

Shouldn't a buyer have a reasonable expectation that when they buy a product, that they actually get that product? The census will in all probability not go up by 50, as you claim. That's pretty ridiculous.

If I did what Comiclink is doing on a consistent basis as a seller on ebay, I would've gotten so much negative feedback I would be banned for it. There shouldn't be a double standard like there seems to be on these forums.

You asked and you got the answer why people are "taking Comiclink's side." Most people are not agreeing with you whether it is my take or another take. It does not mean they are taking "Comiclink's side, " it is just people do not agree with your logic.

You state "the census will in all probability not go up by 50, as you claim. That's pretty ridiculous." 50 was mostly hyperbole (you conveniently left out the 5 or 10 I wrote) and is not so ridiculous if you do some basic math. How long has CGC been in existence - 16 years. How many Amazing Spiderman 300's have been graded? 11964. That is 62 a month. That is how many Hulk 181's have been graded? 8851. That is about 46 a month. 50 is not so ridiculous. The last Comiclink auction stated there was only 11962 ASM 300' s graded, you should write them. Yes I know all of them will not be highest graded but again, hyperbole.

You are a seller. You use the census as a marketing tool, I get that. You are accurate in census and Comiclink is not always. You are holding them to same standards you hold yourself. Fair enough. In your own auctions you keyword spam by using "not CGC." I personally ignore auctions with "not CGC," CGC ready etc and generally do not buy from those sellers. Maybe you should do the same with Comiclink.

Lately I've been much more disappointed by Comiclink's failure to provide tracking numbers for my shipments. I don't enjoy coming home to find a few hundred bucks worth of comics sitting on my porch with no prior notice. They used to be very good at sending emails with tracking numbers, but for several months not so much.

I would talk to Fed Ex - CLink ships most everything out in that manner and anything of that value usually needs to be signed for.

Gawd I hate hate hate Fed Ex... The last time they delivered my package to someone else and left it on their porch... Oh but Buzzetta, didn't you say that packages of a certain value must be signed for.

Why yes. Yes I did.

The driver signed for it himself.

It's been ages since I've had something shipped from them, but I thought it was an automatic e-mail notify. I'm pretty sure they don't store that in the website for customers, correct? If so, they should've when they "revamped" the site.

You asked and you got the answer why people are "taking Comiclink's side." Most people are not agreeing with you whether it is my take or another take. It does not mean they are taking "Comiclink's side, " it is just people do not agree with your logic.

:foryou:

It appears to me that there are many people/buyers out there on the web that have learned how to get a discount on items they have won at auction or BIN. Clearly knowing that nothing is perfect, no description can ever be 100% accurate and include every detail good and bad. Everyone has a completely different interpretation of words like mint, in great shape, like new, etc. So these buyers comb the listings words for loophole errors and exploit them for a later discount. This is just fresh in my brain cause I just got some for not mentioning every single scratch and the dis colored item in the photos. Yup shook me down for $60 refund. I gave it up and moved on, but sure it could be legit but I know people are doing it. The OP gives me the same vibe. Like they are looking for a discount due to an error in the listing. Stick to eBay, you can work your game there.

It appears to me that there are many people/buyers out there on the web that have learned how to get a discount on items they have won at auction or BIN. Clearly knowing that nothing is perfect, no description can ever be 100% accurate and include every detail good and bad. Everyone has a completely different interpretation of words like mint, in great shape, like new, etc. So these buyers comb the listings words for loophole errors and exploit them for a later discount. This is just fresh in my brain cause I just got some for not mentioning every single scratch and the dis colored item in the photos. Yup shook me down for $60 refund. I gave it up and moved on, but sure it could be legit but I know people are doing it. The OP gives me the same vibe. Like they are looking for a discount due to an error in the listing. Stick to eBay, you can work your game there.

My response has always been to people like that.

No partial refund, I will happily take everything back. Someone just tried that on a handbag they bought on the other account. (I listed the measurements and apparently I was off by half an inch on the strap drop. After looking up their name I saw that they were a problem buyer with Zappos. Took the bag bag and blocked them. They asked me yesterday as to why they were blocked (I guess they tried to buy something else). I offered no response.

But what do you do? You cannot vet all potential buyers.

My response has always been to people like that.

No partial refund, I will happily take everything back. Someone just tried that on a handbag they bought on the other account. (I listed the measurements and apparently I was off by half an inch on the strap drop. After looking up their name I saw that they were a problem buyer with Zappos. Took the bag bag and blocked them. They asked me yesterday as to why they were blocked (I guess they tried to buy something else). I offered no response.

But what do you do? You cannot vet all potential buyers.

Its just getting so routine. Ive been probed for a discount because of an undisclosed scuff on a slab in the past. Can of worms topic, but its the book I was selling I thought.