• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone else had issue with ComicLink lack of quality control?

64 posts in this topic

My mistake. I kinda glazed over the red text.

Those seem fine. What I do find misleading is a statement from a seller that, say, a 9.6 is "Second highest graded," when there are 100 or more 9.8s on the census. Presumably they mean "This book received the second highest grade on the census," when the plain meaning (to me, at any rate) of "second highest graded" is that this book is the second highest graded book on the census.

CLink actually handles this issue well and avoids the misleading wording, unlike many eBay sellers ... and board sellers. I raised this issue in the "General discussion" thread in the selling section but most of those who replied thought it was just a semantic distinction. Seems more like conscious deception attempting to snare the unwary.

Why should it all be on the bidder/buyer? They (ComicLink) are representing the product on their site with a description to attract bids. Why should the bidder assume the company selling the product doesn't fact check their claims they represent? If a seller did the same practice selling on ebay everybody here would be ripping the seller. Why are so many taking Comiclink's side on this?

Since you asked, because it is kind of a ridiculous way to buy books. Who cares what the census is? If it is book you want at the grade you want and at the price you want - what difference does it make? The census could go up by 5, 10 or 50 in the time it takes to ship to you if they had the census correctly listed.

Comiclink has had their problems - missing books, incorrect page quality listed, poor return policy. However, setting aside the return policy, the other issues represent a very, very small percentage of their total transactions. They lost a book that I had won in an auction. I was pretty pissed but I also have had 40+ transactions over the last 10 years or so that went fine.

My customers care what the census is.

There's nothing wrong with caring about the census, but with great power comes great responsibility...that is, recognizing that people send in comics to be graded all the time and that paying a premium for "Top Census, Pop 1" is a colossal risk. There is no guarantee...none...that any book, no matter how rare, will remain "Top Census, Pop 1" (or whatever), and your customers need to learn how to recognize that, as do you.

It isn't ridiculous.

It is ridiculous. The census is a moving target; always has been, always will be. What is true this week may not be true next week, when the census is updated.

As I stated before their (comiclink) item description can and will determine final bid price. Just look at the final bid price for single highest grade as opposed to just highest graded in the current auction. It's not even close. So obviously a lot of people care, even if you don't.

That's because those people are foolish. They are foolishly paying a premium for something that is essentially an artificial construct. They have the right to do so, but that doesn't make it wise.

Again: the census is freely available to anyone. It only takes creating a member account with CGC. If someone is willing to pay a premium for "single highest grade", they can certainly take the literally 20 seconds it takes to check the census (if you're already signed in) and confirm. I just checked Batman #102. Highest graded is a 9.2, pop 1. It's just that easy.

Shouldn't a buyer have a reasonable expectation that when they buy a product, that they actually get that product?

They ARE getting that product. You're asking for a guarantee that is impossible to make. You're sturming and dranging over something that shouldn't be an issue.

The census will in all probability not go up by 50, as you claim. That's pretty ridiculous.

As he said, he was using hyperbole to make his point, and you conveniently left out the 5 and 10.

If I did what Comiclink is doing on a consistent basis as a seller on ebay, I would've gotten so much negative feedback I would be banned for it. There shouldn't be a double standard like there seems to be on these forums.

No, you wouldn't have. It's just not the issue...nor should it be...that you think it is.

Spoiler- all your spoilers are either incorrect or just opinion.

So you say. And yet, you won't explain why or how they are incorrect or just opinion, as I have explained my points.

I have been selling CGC graded comics since it's inception in 2000. I have never had one issue in these past 16 years where I had to change an item description due to another copy being graded higher than the one I advertised. But you and a few others say it is just "impossible" to keep up with the census. I must be amazing then.

I didn't say it was impossible to keep up with the census. I said it was impossible to guarantee that, as you say,"(s)houldn't a buyer have a reasonable expectation that when they buy a product, that they actually get that product?" with regards to an advertised census population.

Yes, it's reasonable to expect that they actually get that product...but that product does not come with a specific census population guarantee, because it cannot. It is impossible to guarantee a specific census population; the census changes weekly. Therefore, saying they didn't get what was advertised is silly, whether the information about the census is accurate or not at the time of the purchase.

The census could change in between the time the listing ENDS and the buyer receives the book. Have they "not gotten what they were promised"? Of course not, because, as I said, it is impossible to guarantee a specific census population, and it's unreasonable to expect such a guarantee to be attached to the purchase of a slabbed comic (or coin, or card, or...etc.)

If a buyer doesn't understand that, that buyer is foolish, and doesn't understand what the census is or how it works.

My mistake. I kinda glazed over the red text.

Those seem fine. What I do find misleading is a statement from a seller that, say, a 9.6 is "Second highest graded," when there are 100 or more 9.8s on the census. Presumably they mean "This book received the second highest grade on the census," when the plain meaning (to me, at any rate) of "second highest graded" is that this book is the second highest graded book on the census.

CLink actually handles this issue well and avoids the misleading wording, unlike many eBay sellers ... and board sellers. I raised this issue in the "General discussion" thread in the selling section but most of those who replied thought it was just a semantic distinction. Seems more like conscious deception attempting to snare the unwary.

That's what irks the OP I believe. That Josh is knowingly misleading buyers with his "outdated" descriptions.

It's manipulation masquerading as laziness. (tsk)