• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So long, eBay.... Hello again, eBay...

97 posts in this topic

Sorry to start yet another eBay thread, but I have reached my limit and I'm out.

Today, I had over 50 auctions end. When I checked my email later in the day, I found that I had involuntarily volunteered, unknowingly and against my will, for the Global Shipping Program, or GSP™ as they like to refer to it.

I received a message from a repeat Canadian customer who told me that he has encountered numerous problems with this and would not complete the order with me unless we worked around it due to the overinflated charges that he would have to pay if his order shipped this way. I had read similar stories in the past, so had never signed up for it. I am sure that this involuntary membership had a negative effect on my auctions since they received fewer bids than I expected.

After figuring out how to "opt out" of their program, I could not send invoices since they were all still attached to the GSP. When I called eBay, the customer service rep told me that I would have to prepare the invoices manually and they would not correct this.

As a result of this I decided to force eBay to opt into my program of closing my store and no longer selling on their site, which I am calling "Frequently Underselling Comics Knowingly, Yet Overpaying Unilaterally". I won't bother telling them how I am abbreviating that.

Anyway, thought someone might find this of interest.

They never even sent me a message or email when they did this. No notice whatsoever...

This is basically the straw that broke the camel's back due to the other changes that they have made and keep making. Removing feedback on buyers, taking a cut of shipping charges, temporarily forcing sellers to classify comics as "new" or "used"... It just goes on and on.

eBay pretty much sucks but where are you going to go? It still has the widest reach when it comes to customers

I am going to keep selling here and explore other horizons. It is not working out selling there with the climate declining at such a rapid pace. My hope is that a new CEO will take over one day and initiate some changes. Without that, it looks like their primary motivation is to run smaller sellers out of business and only focus on the larger ones.

I had it on at one point... turned if off...

Now I am going to the post office tomorrow morning to drop off an order of Lego to Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates.

However... I have BIN offerings so whoever gets it... gets it.

Sorry to start yet another eBay thread, but I have reached my limit and I'm out.

Today, I had over 50 auctions end. When I checked my email later in the day, I found that I had involuntarily volunteered, unknowingly and against my will, for the Global Shipping Program, or GSP™ as they like to refer to it.

I received a message from a repeat Canadian customer who told me that he has encountered numerous problems with this and would not complete the order with me unless we worked around it due to the overinflated charges that he would have to pay if his order shipped this way. I had read similar stories in the past, so had never signed up for it. I am sure that this involuntary membership had a negative effect on my auctions since they received fewer bids than I expected.

After figuring out how to "opt out" of their program, I could not send invoices since they were all still attached to the GSP. When I called eBay, the customer service rep told me that I would have to prepare the invoices manually and they would not correct this.

As a result of this I decided to force eBay to opt into my program of closing my store and no longer selling on their site, which I am calling "Frequently Underselling Comics Knowingly, Yet Overpaying Unilaterally". I won't bother telling them how I am abbreviating that.

So you drive down the street, your car dies, get out and tear up your driver's license and telling yourself, you are no longer driving ever again...lmao! This is basically what you did with ebay.

So you drive down the street, your car dies, get out and tear up your driver's license and telling yourself, you are no longer driving ever again...lmao! This is basically what you did with ebay.

If this were the only thing that happened to drive me to this decision, then you would be correct. However, eBay has been killing me (and other sellers) by degrees over a number of years with a multitude of bad policies that they just keep on implementing. Each one of these has contributed to driving sellers (and buyers) away. Quite a few have already left, and I stuck on for as long as I could.

If the DMV stalked me, and shot out my tires, ran me off the road, and threw a Molotov cocktail into my car each time I drove somewhere, then that would be a closer analogy to selling on eBay now.

If this were the only thing that happened to drive me to this decision, then you would be correct. However, eBay has been killing me (and other sellers) by degrees over a number of years with a multitude of bad policies that they just keep on implementing. Each one of these has contributed to driving sellers (and buyers) away. Quite a few have already left, and I stuck on for as long as I could.

If the DMV stalked me, and shot out my tires, ran me off the road, and threw a Molotov cocktail into my car each time I drove somewhere, then that would be a closer analogy to selling on eBay now.

eBay changes all the time for sellers, so does Amazon, so does Google's search algorithm. You have to learn how to adapt and a lot of people can't learn to adapt with constant changes and as a result they give up.

This exact thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I hadn't officially opted out of the program, but I was doing it manually in each listing. I had a listing that had the manual opt-out checked, and I saved it as a template. I wrongly assumed that the saved template would remember the choice to not use the GSP. But eBay automatically re-included the GSP even though every other toggled checkbox (or field) was saved in the template. They must have put in some sort of override to saved templates.

I didn't realize until it was too late, and I had a Canadian customer who wasn't happy with the shipping. There was no way to re-invoice him -- another instance of eBay trying to force the GSP on its users. I called customer service and was told the same thing: No can do, you're SOL, sorry.

They recommended that I cancel this listing and arrange with the buyer to do a BIN at the previous price. I followed the customer service rep's advice and made the arrangement with the buyer, posting the BIN at the agreed upon time. Some other buyer came in and hit the BIN. I had to explain to the guy what was going on with the GSP and try to get him to agree to cancel the order. The new buyer was irate and left me a nasty feedback, even though I was polite with him and explained the situation in detail. I reposted the BIN and yet another buyer came along and hit it before my Canadian buyer did. I explained the situation to him and this guy was nice about it, thankfully. Finally, I reposted again and the Canadian buyer made the purchase. (Since I had never been in this situation before, I didn't realize that I should have posted a BIN with a Best Offer, placing the BIN at a very high amount and then waiting for the buyer to make an offer at the agreed-upon price.)

After that headache, I figured out the hoops that had to be jumped through the cancel the GSP. I had to click through numerous screens to figure it out, and it seems like eBay deliberately buried it as yet another part of an orchestrated effort to force it on users.

I am feeling your pain with the GSP this month as well.

In one of my other hobbies, I frequently mail items to China and Japan and buyers have been really pushy with regards to marking down customs forms values or trying to haggle me down to a service without tracking.

A while back I started using GSP and until this month I haven't had an issue.

July 11 sold an item for around $1500. I get an email from paypal saying it was paid for, an email from eBay to ship now, item mailed on July 13.

The night of July 13 I log into my paypal account and notice the amount is pending.

Curious, I've never seen this happen before, and I call and ask about it and was told for "some items" they keep the amount in pending until the buyer receives the items and 3 business days after they will release the amount to me provided the buyer doesn't change their mind or complain about the item.

Essentially, they're holding the money to make sure the buyer is happy.

Item arrives at the global shipping center on the 16th (which is weird because usually my priority boxes arrive within 2 days to the midwest), and leaves for it's destination on the 19th.

So where am I now in all of this? The box still hasn't been delivered.

Apparently, after more phone calls and one rep telling me it's "my fault" because I listed it this way, I now have to wait until it's marked delivered by the third rate shipping company in China. If it hasn't been marked as delivered by August 4 I can open a claim as the shipping window was July 27 - August 3.

The kicker is the buyer paid $55 to ship it. I could have mailed it Express on July 13 and it would have been there by now.

To say I'm frustrated doesn't begin to cover it. I sell a couple of things a month, I'd be irate if I sold 50 at a time.

Not trying to hijack your thread btw...just posting as a warning to others. :)

Am I the only person that likes the GSP?

Saves me the headache of filling out forms, waiting in line at the PO, calculating shipping overseas...all positive experiences so far.

You're doing it the hard way if you opt out of GSP.

Get an accurate shipping scale and print off the form through ebay. Attach to the package and drop the pre paid package off at the P.O. - No waiting in lines.

Am I the only person that likes the GSP?

Saves me the headache of filling out forms, waiting in line at the PO, calculating shipping overseas...all positive experiences so far.

:hi:

I love it for the same reasons.

If you set up your listings to only sell within the US you could still sell on eBay and not deal with any of the issues that surround shipping to a foreign country. You can even exclude the US Territories if you want to in your listings.

Interesting analogy but incorrect.

If we are to use a car analogy here is what happened:

He uses a car to drive around that uses a fuel called gasoline, there is a switch in the car to convert to diesel at anytime you want, but the driver chooses to stay with gasoline and he drives the car for many years using gasoline as a fuel. One day the driver needs more fuel and goes and fills up his gas tank with gasoline. As he drives out of the service station parking lot the car stops working and the driver discovers that the fuel switch was switched by the manufacturer of the vehicle remotely and now requires diesel. Angered, the driver just walks away from the car with his license intact and begins looking for another car from a different manufacturer.

:foryou:

My experience is sellers like the GSP and buyers consider it a rip-off (way too expensive and customs and tax charges applied that shouldn't be). What I find really concerning is that according to some information posted in some other threads is that the GSP opens and re-packages your items before shipping them out. Of course you can figure out for yourself how this can open up all kinds of potential problems to your sales from damage to mix-ups to outright theft. The GSP is supposed to take care of any problems but.............

Hard to blame eBay. It was an option you had. It's how the ever changing world works. Get over it. Simply send the buyer a cancel agreement. He gets no strike, you get you fees back. Realist it, but this time choose the proper shipping that's best for you.