• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So long, eBay.... Hello again, eBay...

97 posts in this topic

The pool of comics available to us as Canadians from the USA have dwindled tremendously on eBay due to the GSP.

Think it's time I created a ship-to address in Sault, Michigan for easy pick-up whenever I travel to Sault Canada.

Am I the only person that likes the GSP?

Saves me the headache of filling out forms, waiting in line at the PO, calculating shipping overseas...all positive experiences so far.

I like it as well.

Okay, that side is understandable.

But do you realize that, for someone abroad starting to collect, it makes buying almost impossible?

On average, what they charge for all the handling is arbitrary and based on calculations that are not adherent to what you actually pay in customs. In general, at least 2-3 times, but more often up to 8-10 times what you’d spend (that is already a decent amount).

The program involves a third party, so presumably that money goes in a good part to them, but again the fact that the merchandise needs to be checked, i.e. opened and re-packaged, results more than often in badly remade packages or damaged goods.

I have used the program in a pair of UK purchases, and when I received the opened and re-arranged packaging I thought it had been a miracle the material did not become damaged.

I understand all the pleasing aspects on some sellers' part, but this brings a huge cost, both in terms of effort and money, on the foreign buyer. I would never do that to a foreign buyer, but hey, maybe it’s just me. :shrug:

Sorry to start yet another eBay thread, but I have reached my limit and I'm out.

Today, I had over 50 auctions end. When I checked my email later in the day, I found that I had involuntarily volunteered, unknowingly and against my will, for the Global Shipping Program, or GSP™ as they like to refer to it.

I received a message from a repeat Canadian customer who told me that he has encountered numerous problems with this and would not complete the order with me unless we worked around it due to the overinflated charges that he would have to pay if his order shipped this way. I had read similar stories in the past, so had never signed up for it. I am sure that this involuntary membership had a negative effect on my auctions since they received fewer bids than I expected.

After figuring out how to "opt out" of their program, I could not send invoices since they were all still attached to the GSP. When I called eBay, the customer service rep told me that I would have to prepare the invoices manually and they would not correct this.

As a result of this I decided to force eBay to opt into my program of closing my store and no longer selling on their site, which I am calling "Frequently Underselling Comics Knowingly, Yet Overpaying Unilaterally". I won't bother telling them how I am abbreviating that.

Anyway, thought someone might find this of interest.

I like how you worded that – aside from bitterness, that’s just fair.

Now, since I haven’t been selling on eBay for ages, I wonder how the platforms would behave in case I decide to sell either on eBay.it or on eBay.com… hm

Sorry to start yet another eBay thread, but I have reached my limit and I'm out.

Today, I had over 50 auctions end. When I checked my email later in the day, I found that I had involuntarily volunteered, unknowingly and against my will, for the Global Shipping Program, or GSP™ as they like to refer to it.

I received a message from a repeat Canadian customer who told me that he has encountered numerous problems with this and would not complete the order with me unless we worked around it due to the overinflated charges that he would have to pay if his order shipped this way. I had read similar stories in the past, so had never signed up for it. I am sure that this involuntary membership had a negative effect on my auctions since they received fewer bids than I expected.

After figuring out how to "opt out" of their program, I could not send invoices since they were all still attached to the GSP. When I called eBay, the customer service rep told me that I would have to prepare the invoices manually and they would not correct this.

As a result of this I decided to force eBay to opt into my program of closing my store and no longer selling on their site, which I am calling "Frequently Underselling Comics Knowingly, Yet Overpaying Unilaterally". I won't bother telling them how I am abbreviating that.

Anyway, thought someone might find this of interest.

So you drive down the street, your car dies, get out and tear up your driver's license and telling yourself, you are no longer driving ever again...lmao! This is basically what you did with ebay.

If this were the only thing that happened to drive me to this decision, then you would be correct. However, eBay has been killing me (and other sellers) by degrees over a number of years with a multitude of bad policies that they just keep on implementing. Each one of these has contributed to driving sellers (and buyers) away. Quite a few have already left, and I stuck on for as long as I could.

If the DMV stalked me, and shot out my tires, ran me off the road, and threw a Molotov cocktail into my car each time I drove somewhere, then that would be a closer analogy to selling on eBay now.

eBay changes all the time for sellers, so does Amazon, so does Google's search algorithm. You have to learn how to adapt and a lot of people can't learn to adapt with constant changes and as a result they give up.

That’s a hollow argumentation. Try to buy comics from abroad and we'll see how you "adapt".

Saves me the headache of filling out forms, waiting in line at the PO, calculating shipping overseas...all positive experiences so far.

You're doing it the hard way if you opt out of GSP.

Get an accurate shipping scale and print off the form through ebay. Attach to the package and drop the pre paid package off at the P.O. - No waiting in lines.

Still requires more work than just sending it to Kentucky. That's about as easy as it gets. If someone outside the US doesn't want to pay extra for the GSP, they can avoid my listings.

Have things changed? I have not shipped abroad in a while (probably because i have limited countires and insist on flat rate international priority, which is too expensive most of the time), but it used to be that I could just print out my shipping lable via paypal and stick it on my envelope/box? you answer the customs questions, etc. it takes an extra minute or so. then i would drop the packages off in a mailbox on the street or hand it to my carrier (the guy is in front of my office from 4:45 - 5:00 p.m. every day, so it's easy).

You're doing it the hard way if you opt out of GSP.

Get an accurate shipping scale and print off the form through ebay. Attach to the package and drop the pre paid package off at the P.O. - No waiting in lines.

Still requires more work than just sending it to Kentucky. That's about as easy as it gets. If someone outside the US doesn't want to pay extra for the GSP, they can avoid my listings.

Have things changed? I have not shipped abroad in a while (probably because i have limited countires and insist on flat rate international priority, which is too expensive most of the time), but it used to be that I could just print out my shipping lable via paypal and stick it on my envelope/box? you answer the customs questions, etc. it takes an extra minute or so. then i would drop the packages off in a mailbox on the street or hand it to my carrier (the guy is in front of my office from 4:45 - 5:00 p.m. every day, so it's easy).

Aside from this, Andy's reply is very superficial – it’s not just a matter of "paying extra" but rather of being fair (see my replies above).

That "extra" amount is pure nonsense, and as I said the package is opened, and then re-made, without any warranty of safeness. That’s what they did when I purchased twice from the UK (from the UK!). :P

Well, as much as I hate to have to say this, it looks like I am going to have to resume selling on eBay. Although some other options have proven to be even more successful than I expected, it looks like I have no choice.

About a week and a half ago, I had a severe tooth fracture. After living with it for over a week, I had to get it extracted and have sinus surgery, which set me back about $640. Add the pre-op down time and recovery time to the cost, and I have one hell of a setback.

I have a lot of inventory that I need to move, and it is only going to sell by using eBay. As much as we all hate it, the fact that they have a large customer base allows them to dictate whatever inept policies they thrust on sellers and we just have to take it. They own the raw online comic market and seem to enjoy the opportunity to force sellers to continually jump through bizarre obstacles to sell there.

Therefore, I am going to make one adjustment to bypass their global shipping extortion program. No more international sales. Sorry Canadian customers...

Well, as much as I hate to have to say this, it looks like I am going to have to resume selling on eBay. Although some other options have proven to be even more successful than I expected, it looks like I have no choice.

About a week and a half ago, I had a severe tooth fracture. After living with it for over a week, I had to get it extracted and have sinus surgery, which set me back about $640. Add the pre-op down time and recovery time to the cost, and I have one hell of a setback.

I have a lot of inventory that I need to move, and it is only going to sell by using eBay. As much as we all hate it, the fact that they have a large customer base allows them to dictate whatever inept policies they thrust on sellers and we just have to take it. They own the raw online comic market and seem to enjoy the opportunity to force sellers to continually jump through bizarre obstacles to sell there.

Therefore, I am going to make one adjustment to bypass their global shipping extortion program. No more international sales. Sorry Canadian customers...

Just out of curiosity, why not use the GSP? Yes of course its rough on the international buyers, but why not give them the option if they want to use it and pay the fees if they want your items? I don't think its any more hassle or cost to you as the seller.

Or is it the principle of it?

Just out of curiosity, why not use the GSP? Yes of course its rough on the international buyers, but why not give them the option if they want to use it and pay the fees if they want your items? I don't think its any more hassle or cost to you as the seller.

For me, the underlying problem with the GSP is that it's part of eBay's attempt to morph into Amazon, which isn't conducive to selling collectibles.

My understanding is that when I ship a package through GSP it goes to a mail center where it's opened to verify the contents. The problem I have is that the mail clerk probably isn't going to use the same care and diligence that I would in packing a collectible. To the mail clerk, it's just another eBay widget.

So if the item gets damaged in transit due to poor packaging, who's going to take the negative feedback hit for that? Not eBay, GSP or PB.

And that negative affects my ability to sell, so using the program does potentially cost me something in the long-term.

Just opt out and ship it yourself. Lower cost raw books can get shipped via First Class fairly cheaply and I've never had a package damaged or go missing (which I can't say for to the US). Slabs and high priced books go via Priority which does take a bit more paper work but not really too much more. It all is a moot point since International buyers have virtually dried up after the dollar took off (not that I blame them if books cost 50% more then it did a bit ago).

For me, the underlying problem with the GSP is that it's part of eBay's attempt to morph into Amazon, which isn't conducive to selling collectibles.

My understanding is that when I ship a package through GSP it goes to a mail center where it's opened to verify the contents. The problem I have is that the mail clerk probably isn't going to use the same care and diligence that I would in packing a collectible. To the mail clerk, it's just another eBay widget.

So if the item gets damaged in transit due to poor packaging, who's going to take the negative feedback hit for that? Not eBay, GSP or PB.

And that negative affects my ability to sell, so using the program does potentially cost me something in the long-term.

Once ebay has received your item at the Kentucky shipping center location, you as the seller are completely off the hook no matter what happens:

Any negative or neutral feedback that can be attributed to the Global Shipping Program from item handling during international transit will be removed. See details.

You aren't responsible for item loss or damage that occurs after the item is forwarded by the US shipping center. Once an item has been forwarded by the US shipping center, you won't be responsible for refunding the buyer if an eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection case is filed against you for one of the following reasons:

A buyer claims an item isn't received or

A package is damaged in transit

Just opt out and ship it yourself. Lower cost raw books can get shipped via First Class fairly cheaply and I've never had a package damaged or go missing (which I can't say for to the US). Slabs and high priced books go via Priority which does take a bit more paper work but not really too much more. It all is a moot point since International buyers have virtually dried up after the dollar took off (not that I blame them if books cost 50% more then it did a bit ago).

The problem is that you can't opt out - eBay keeps opting you back in! I've seen others state that they opted out and found to their surprise that they were opted back in with no notice. Seems the only way to avoid it is to only ship to the U.S.

Also, I agree with the other post about the repackaging problem. If you send an order to the shipping center and it is poorly repackaged, then the SELLER is blamed and held responsible. Also, the rate is inflated so that eBay can extort money out of the buyer, then they sic the buyer on the seller to complain. Best to avoid this by only selling domestically.

The problem is that you can't opt out - eBay keeps opting you back in! I've seen others state that they opted out and found to their surprise that they were opted back in with no notice. Seems the only way to avoid it is to only ship to the U.S.

Also, I agree with the other post about the repackaging problem. If you send an order to the shipping center and it is poorly repackaged, then the SELLER is blamed and held responsible. Also, the rate is inflated so that eBay can extort money out of the buyer, then they sic the buyer on the seller to complain. Best to avoid this by only selling domestically.

"Inflated" is an understatement. Also, the repackaging thing is one of the worst ideas they ever had. And they don’t even earn from it, as it’s done by third parties.

I understand your choice of opting out the GSP, but if it is possible, I would just allow foreign users to contact you via the messages. This way, at least, you could allow some people to bid upon request or give them an opportunity to buy.

What are you guys talking about? I opted out ages ago when they instituted the program. I’ve never been put back into the program against my will or had to reset my preferences. And what’s all the paperwork or trouble shipping internationally yourself? It takes maybe one extra mouse click or keystroke if you’re generating your labels through ebay or PayPal.

Once ebay has received your item at the Kentucky shipping center location, you as the seller are completely off the hook no matter what happens:

Any negative or neutral feedback that can be attributed to the Global Shipping Program from item handling during international transit will be removed. See details.

You aren't responsible for item loss or damage that occurs after the item is forwarded by the US shipping center. Once an item has been forwarded by the US shipping center, you won't be responsible for refunding the buyer if an eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection case is filed against you for one of the following reasons:

Even if you can't be blamed through feedback, the buyer can still think you are responsible and won't buy from you again. Or they won't want to take the risk with the GSP even if they know you weren't responsible.

I had a long-time Canadian customer that wanted to cancel all his bids once he saw that I had "joined" the GSP due to his previous experiences with it. He thought that I chose to do this, but I had no idea until half of my auctions ending that day were over.

What are you guys talking about? I opted out ages ago when they instituted the program. I’ve never been put back into the program against my will or had to reset my preferences. And what’s all the paperwork or trouble shipping internationally yourself? It takes maybe one extra mouse click or keystroke if you’re generating your labels through ebay or PayPal.

I love you, Dick! :luhv:

I always shipped internationally myself and never had any problem. Apparently, you are one of the lucky ones because I have seen several instances where others claimed that they were re-enrolled in the program without their consent. I can't afford to take the chance and have a problem like the last one to deal with again.

"Inflated" is an understatement. Also, the repackaging thing is one of the worst ideas they ever had. And they don’t even earn from it, as it’s done by third parties.

I understand your choice of opting out the GSP, but if it is possible, I would just allow foreign users to contact you via the messages. This way, at least, you could allow some people to bid upon request or give them an opportunity to buy.

On ebay I stick to US only for an assortment of reasons- but you make a good point.

A decade ago I used to sell Int'l and I liked shipping the occasional boxes to Italy, France and the UK (and a large box to Greece once).

Last month or so on a board sale I shipped a pair of nice ASM to a boardie in the UK - postage was "only" $28 (fortunately I'd accumulated a stack of those 'Gemini mailers' from buying on the board and the buyer was willing to forego the protection of a box and risk just the mailer and secure tape).

If hypothetically you asked to bid and I agreed, does ebay block you from bidding automatically since I'm set up as US only? Must I specifically allow non-US bidders (or a single non-US bidder)?

[i'd love to ship to Canadians but last month it cost nearly $40 just to ship a handful of Epic Ill. magazines so forget that, just seems too costly to justify modifying my K.I.S.S. policies simply to end up looking like a gouger.]

Even if you can't be blamed through feedback, the buyer can still think you are responsible and won't buy from you again. Or they won't want to take the risk with the GSP even if they know you weren't responsible.

I had a long-time Canadian customer that wanted to cancel all his bids once he saw that I had "joined" the GSP due to his previous experiences with it. He thought that I chose to do this, but I had no idea until half of my auctions ending that day were over.

Bingo.

It's not just about the negative comment, it's about the negative experience.

That's a potential good repeat customer I loose. And what if he tells his friends about his bad experience? Posts it on a message board or Facebook? All for something I had know control over.

And while eBay may remove the negative feedback comment, the reason I use eBay is because of the exposure. Even if they remove it the same day, how many eyeballs see that comment and are turned away before it's removed?

In terms of real time, have you checked your ebay settings here:

My eBay > Account > Site Preferences

Scroll down a little to "Shipping Preferences"

Here you can edit and opt out 100% of GSP. The tricky part is I suspect someone like you has a ton of listings and probably just relists. Whatever option is chosen in said listings might just automatically populate.

The one way for 100% certainty to opt out is actually revise or go into the listing itself and you can change it in the shipping section of the listings so that you control which countries it goes to and which shipping services.

What you should do is this. Go to the Site preferences section above and edit the GSP line. Than log out and log back in. And list a few auctions and see what happened.