• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic storage boxes

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have been changing my comic collection to mylars and bought some boxes from Gerber. I noticed that these boxes are supposed to be acid free.

1) Does having acid free boxes make a difference? Can the acid go from the box through the mylars to the comics?

2) The only boxes they had were gold/silver size boxes. So when I put modern books in the boxes, they often become skewed and not lined up and I'm afraid long term they will become bent.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? What kind of boxes do you use? Thanks.

I don't even know of a single comic box that is not acid free these days. it's 2016 not 1973.

It is likely that none of your comic boxes are acid free unless you bought those specific ones from Gerber.

It is 2016 and the VAST majority of comic boxes are plain ole kraft cardboard with a pretty white outer sheet. None of these are acid free

Acid free comic boxes are definitely available, I've got these two linked below. Will the acid free properties truly make a difference? Nobody has any data to answer that with certainty. However I decided to get them because they should last me forever - no more worn out ripped boxes! They should also be able to better protect my collection against curious rodents and water damage.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5410-comic-storage-box.aspx

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-4027-comic-storage-box.aspx

I forgot about the plastic ones.

While those may be acid free, I would be somewhat surprised if all the manufacturers of these were actually using Coroplast or other similar archival material, instead of the cheap stuff used for yard signs. Regardless, I do like the idea of them much better than regular cardboard boxes.

I still doubt all the corrugated plastic boxes + the buffered cardboard ones from Gerber combined make up more than 3% of the volume of comic box sales.