• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee signature - worth the ink?

62 posts in this topic

He's basically done at this point. This is his last trip. His signature has gotten much worse (it's lossened and seems less sure) his eyesight is also really bad so his sig location isn't good. I wouldn't have him sign a book you want to come back in the same grade you bought it in. I've got a bunch of sig series books but I plan on seeing him one last time at nycc to sign my marvel 75th anniversary Tascan book.

Let's get back on topic. Yes or no to Stan's signature and why.

No.

He literally had nothing to do with that particular book 2c

+1 on this.

I have a bunch of Stan Lee SS books - all of them are books he was directly involved with.

seems like you are fishing for opinions on whether adding a Stan Lee autograph (SS) to a big dollar book would be a good investment. so here's mine... for what it is worth.

With a book like ASM 129 - it stands up well fine on its own and his signature would have little increase of the value-- even after he passes. It might even make it less desirable as not everyone likes signed books.

His signature (slabbed SS) might be valuable to a collector at some point in the future on many books that don't have to be keys. That seems like a better route to follow--- especially if you can find a nice copy of some of his early work that perhaps isn't a huge key but something noteworthy and that he worked on significantly. That book would be much less expensive and a far less investment risk if that is your intention.

For me-- a picture with him would be more valuable as a keepsake. But I am not much into signatures in general.

No. Stan Lee SS books are outrageously common. I would not buy one and a lot of others would not. That shrinks your buying pool.

It seems to be the thing to do with low grade silver keys. I would not touch any of them and will pay more for a non SS if I must.

Hi boardies

Just wondering if it worth getting keys signed by Stan Lee. I know he he has signed so much that his signatures put together side by side can circle the globe. So with that said is it worth getting Stan to sign my ASM 129 (should grade 9.4-9.6) or not? Would there be any additional value after death? I wish him no ill but he is 93. Appreciate anyone insight and feedback

Thanks

Don't do it...

...Don't be amongt the foolish who get Stan Lee to sign irrelevant books he had nearly nothing to do with.

Sure, he created (or co-created) Spider-Man and served as Editor in Chief at Marvel for #129, but that's it.

What you want to have him autograph is a book / issue he actually wrote the story for/of.

Pick a comic with a white cover so the autograph signature pops with a clear background.

Condition doesn't matter so much, so if you got a key book in bad condition, that raises the book more so than a high grade book which there will be lots of naysayers telling you that you ruined a pedigree grade book with a signature.

He is to Super Hero folklore, what Walt Disney is to Animated characters, a true founding father, legend, icon and will forever be remembered and idolized.

You'll regret not getting his autograph to that degree

It's a great investment.

Despite those naysayers who say he signs too much and there's a lot out there, it's the law of supply and demand. There will be a huge demand after he passes away and from future generations as well.

For those who think they're so smart and cunning having Stan Lee sign irrelevant books like DC comics or Star Wars titles, feeling they're cornering the market on population and exclusivity with that unique possession... to me it's like having Michael Jordan sign an NFL Football instead of an NBA Basketball... sure you may be the only one with it, but you're probably the only one who wants it.

Hi boardies

Just wondering if it worth getting keys signed by Stan Lee. I know he he has signed so much that his signatures put together side by side can circle the globe. So with that said is it worth getting Stan to sign my ASM 129 (should grade 9.4-9.6) or not? Would there be any additional value after death? I wish him no ill but he is 93. Appreciate anyone insight and feedback

Thanks

Love Stan Lee, he's what got me back into collecting as an adult and I have at least a dozen Stan Lee SS books.

From the very beginning my criteria for what books to get signed by him (and any other artist/writer) were this.

1. He should have creatively worked directly on that particular book (writer in Stan's case).

2. No grails (e.g. no SS on an AF15 IMO), but the book should have SOME uniqueness to it (doesn't have to be a major key like ASM129) but the book alone should have something else interesting about it. This is more true for moderns.

3. If it's a major key, it should not be high grade - just my personal preference to leave HG BA/SA/GA major keys in original condition. Find a mid/low-grade copy for a signature on major BA/SA/GA keys.

So to your question, NO.

Stan had no direct creative hand in anything about that book and especially since it could grade out as HG, leave it as is.

SOME people might pay extra for it, but I think MORE people would pay extra for a Stan Lee SS on a major or minor key book he actually wrote which makes for higher demand and hence quicker sale at higher ROI.

One last thing... have you SEEN recent books signed by Stan in the past year or two?

Do you REALLY want your HG ASM129 to risk get a big sharpie scribble obliterating the Punisher's face?

Don't let this happen to you!

Xmen%20Coll%201a_zpswtrgm2dx.jpg

nyx%203%20bad_zps4sbxtgp9.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

One last thing... have you SEEN recent books signed by Stan in the past year or two?

Do you REALLY want your HG ASM129 to risk get a big sharpie scribble obliterating the Punisher's face?

Don't let this happen to you!

Xmen%20Coll%201a_zpswtrgm2dx.jpg

nyx%203%20bad_zps4sbxtgp9.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Dam. Never thought of that. I would lose it if my book came back like that. Does Stan have no common sense on the placement of his signature

I want to thank everyone for all their comments. Some have said to get something significant signed that he has worked on. I have an ASM#1 which I think could use a press and would get a grade improvement be scared less to open that case

I have five issues with Stan Signatures... The Silver books are undercopies to my "set" copies. I have chased books that he has worked on or if I do have a modern book, it is one which is significant to Stan such as the Young book. Apologies for the JJ Abrams Lens Flare... I can't figure out how to properly use my scanner.

ASM043cgc80ssa.jpgASM043cgc70ssa.jpgASM097cgc85ssa.jpgASM009cgc98ssva.jpgASM700cgc98ssa.jpg

I think it depends on what you are trying to get his signature on. As someone stated your #129 stands fine on its own merit.

I have met him twice, and have had him sign both a poster, and a 12x12 print. They turned out nice and have made my little $10 items probably worth more than $10.

Is his signature going to make your $1000 item worth more than $1000, or more appealing to a buyer. I don't know. What if he botches the signature? I would be out $10 on a poster or print, but a key book in nice grade.....hmmm, you can't erase that sharpie.

I had this Marvel value Stamp booklet signed by Stan in September 2015 at the Edmonton Expo when he was there.

MDS00158_zpsb1ilqevz.jpg

Worth the ink? To me it is, as I have Stan's signature on an item that is part of my personal collection and is also a part of my childhood: MVS are from 1974-1975 era when I started buying comics with my own money attained via my paper route when I was 9 years old.

It didn't matter where he signed it to me, but I am happy with how it turned out regardless.

Would I have him sign my high grade ASM 129? No, but that is just my opinion, the ASM 129 is a sellable asset to me and has little meaning to me, and I wouldn't have it signed to maintain maximum appeal to all potential buyers.

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on the Hulk 2 signed by Stan in the heritage auction this afternoon but this thread and seeing that I already had five books signed caused me to drop out.

Patiently waiting on the artwork though...