• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoring A Restored Book Back To A Blue Label?

46 posts in this topic

Tear seals, splits, slight pro ct, glue removal ( depends on quantity applied ), spine reinforcement

For the most part SP work only although to some extent SA can be worked on too. More advanced resto (MP or MA) and risk damage to the book.

Colour touches can't that I'm aware of.

I've never been able to figure out how much colour touch is allowed on a blue label though. I'm assuming not much.

So a conserved book should be a piece of cake returning to normal?

I was thinking any book with colour touch even if the rest of the resto. is light would be a deal breaker at ever getting a blue label though?

Colour touches can't that I'm aware of.

There are several cases of pro ct removed that brought book to blue, sometimes even retaining grade.

Really? Do you know to what degree and who performs these services?

Sorry. I'm one of the people who avoided restored books usually (except really minor stuff) so I'm curious about what can be done to get it back to "normal".

Do you know to what degree and who performs these services?

Most pro restoration people can do the job. CCS, Susan, Hero Restoration, Tracey Heft etc.

There are several factors that will determine a successful resto reversal. You can read up on each of their sites.

Any archivally applied material can be removed, up to and including all leaf-casting. In that regard some comics labelled as extensively restored could possibly be returned to blue label status, though the potential grade drop would be extensive. I had a Daring 2 graded 7.0 moderate with archival spine reinforcement (rice paper) on the interior and pro color touch on the exterior. When removed it was a very ugly universal 1.8. After reapplying restoration the grade was moderate 8.0. If I had forgone the color touch it would have been a moderate conserved somewhere around a 4.0 but it would have been an eye-sore.

Any archivally applied material can be removed, up to and including all leaf-casting. In that regard some comics labelled as extensively restored could possibly be returned to blue label status, though the potential grade drop would be extensive. I had a Daring 2 graded 7.0 moderate with archival spine reinforcement (rice paper) on the interior and pro color touch on the exterior. When removed it was a very ugly universal 1.8. After reapplying restoration the grade was moderate 8.0. If I had forgone the color touch it would have been a moderate conserved somewhere around a 4.0 but it would have been an eye-sore.

Thing with Mod or Ext books is just that, damage and/or end result might not be worth it. Better to leave as is with the eye appeal.

At which one of these 4 various condition grade levels would the book be worth the most money in today's marketplace? hm

I was thinking any book with colour touch even if the rest of the resto. is light would be a deal breaker at ever getting a blue label though?

If the color touch is done with acrylics or others that stay on the surface and don't bleed into the fibers of the paper they can be removed with relatively little to no paper loss. These applications are usually categorized as professional by CGC. If the color is applied with materials that bleed into the fibers of the paper (colored pens, water colors etc.) then paper would have to be removed to remove the color and the grade drop would be significant. These are categorized as amateur by CGC.

If the color is applied with materials that bleed into the fibers of the paper (colored pens, water colors etc.) then paper would have to be removed to remove the color and the grade drop would be significant. These are categorized as amateur by CGC.

I've seen SA ct ( depends where applied and how much ) removed with a 0.5/1.0 grade drop

If the color is applied with materials that bleed into the fibers of the paper (colored pens, water colors etc.) then paper would have to be removed to remove the color and the grade drop would be significant. These are categorized as amateur by CGC.

I've seen SA ct ( depends where applied and how much ) removed with a 0.5/1.0 grade drop

I try to visualize the area that potentially would be gone if the color and underlying paper were removed and then grade the book as if that were the defect. With Slight Amateur color touch in areas like bindery chips or corner points the resulting damage can be fairly minimal so the grade drop is small.

I try to visualize the area that potentially would be gone if the color and underlying paper were removed and then grade the book as if that were the defect. With Slight Amateur color touch in areas like bindery chips or corner points the resulting damage can be fairly minimal so the grade drop is small.

(thumbs u

Un-restoring is restoration,

There. I said it

I cannot understand for the life of me why someone would Have color touch scraped away so a comic looks like a cat played with it.

I will not buy a mutilated unrestored book if I can ascertain that restoration was removed. :sumo:

I can see very minor being removed as noted but its still a restored and "un-restored" - restored book.

Even some reglossing can be removed if it's water soluble. So basically everything except a cleaning can technically be removed.

One of the major books in my collection had amatuer resto removed which included tape, CT, and reglossing. It was then professionally restored with all work by Matt and Kenny. The final result was wonderful!