• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will OA prices ever surpass comic book prices ?

171 posts in this topic

its interesting to me that in terms of Highest priced originals by comic book artists, you go through Trimpe, Macfarlane, Miller, Adams, Byrne, Kane, Guardanier, Romita Sr., Robinson, and Wrightson before you get to Kirby.

its interesting to me that in terms of Highest priced originals by comic book artists, you go through Trimpe, Macfarlane, Miller, Adams, Byrne, Kane, Guardanier, Romita Sr., Robinson, and Wrightson before you get to Kirby.

Yes, I have noticed that too

The database is forming in a very eclectic manner

Unfair.

You can't compare an entire comic book to a page or a cover.

The value the published comic must be compared with every single page of OA.

If you want to compare a single page or cover then the published version has to be the same single sheet of paper.

I stopped looking before i got to Ditko, but obviously Macspidey is far more than Ditko Spidey
And that's just messed up. doh!

I KNOW!!!!!

It totally makes no sense - TODAY. Unless we are just in the early innings. In 20 years I think it will make more sense.

Romita, Ditko and Kirby are relegated to hack status right now.

Trimpe and mcfarlane are kings !

And comic books beat OA

I gotta believe its a market in flux right now.

I suspect this has to do with the material that's been publicly available.

If the early covers (if they even exist) to FF or ASM, or if the best Kirby FF or Ditko ASM art were publicly offered, then this list would change.

I stopped looking before i got to Ditko, but obviously Macspidey is far more than Ditko Spidey
And that's just messed up. doh!

Is it really as messed up as you think? Spidey has been the focus of my collection for over 30 years. First as a collector of comics, and more recently in OA. I grew up reading Stern/Romita Jr ASM, then enjoyed some Frenz artwork, but when I Saw ASM 298, I knew it was special and I bought multiple copies of McASM thereafter. His art was unique and injected a breathe of fresh air to the title.

I collected Ditko ASM back issues and respected his artwork and contributions to the heroes and villains he created, but honestly, I would get far greater enjoyment owning the McSpidey 1 cover over Ditko (and Kirbys) cover to ASM 1.

If both were equal in value and I had the cash, the McSpidey 1 cover would be hanging on my wall.

If both were equal in value and I had the cash, the McSpidey 1 cover would be hanging on my wall.

That type of sickness requires a psychological evaluation

If you cannot recognize a Mona Lisa that is ASM 1 when you see it, then I cannot help you

doh!

If you cannot recognize a Mona Lisa that is ASM 1 when you see it, then I cannot help you

doh!

meh! I think the Kirby inks ruined the cover.

doh!

meh! I think the Kirby inks ruined the cover.

blasphemy :o

OA are one of kind pieces and if the best pieces were ever on the market I'm sure they would easily set records that comic books have not seen. Who could put a price tag on the cover of an AF#15 or say the FF#1.

Perhaps, but the funny thing about us folks on this board is that we love to speculate on the price a really cool piece of art will bring to market, and more times than not, the speculate estimate exceeds the realized price.

The fact that Herb Trimpe (Herb :censored: ing Trimpe!) is sitting there at the top of the mountain is the biggest indictment of comic OA collecting there is.

The fact that Herb Trimpe (Herb :censored: ing Trimpe!) is sitting there at the top of the mountain is the biggest indictment of comic OA collecting there is.

The panel with the first appearance of Wolverine could have been drawn by Christy Brown, and it would have brought the same money.

Sometimes the subject matter sets the price beyond aesthetics.