• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will OA prices ever surpass comic book prices ?

171 posts in this topic

The cover art to ASM 1 would be priceless to me and I assure you if it exists and anybody reading this thread wants to privately offer me the cover, I will gladly pay 1 million, confident in the knowledge that I just made a bargain of a life time. It is Amazing Spider-man # 1 !

You have that kind of spare cash at your disposal? Wow, I'm impressed, you must have an amazing collection already.

I wouldn't exactly call 1 million dollars "spare cash" (your sarcasm noted) but I could somewhat "easily" scratch up the money if the opportunity arose. Not bragging. Just stating. I don't think it's an ungodly sum.

I knew it!!!

I've always wanted to ask you this....

Do you still get any royalties from your time with Genesis?

Peter Gabriel! Now I'm impressed!!!

The cover art to ASM 1 would be priceless to me and I assure you if it exists and anybody reading this thread wants to privately offer me the cover, I will gladly pay 1 million, confident in the knowledge that I just made a bargain of a life time. It is Amazing Spider-man # 1 !

You have that kind of spare cash at your disposal? Wow, I'm impressed, you must have an amazing collection already.

I wouldn't exactly call 1 million dollars "spare cash" (your sarcasm noted) but I could somewhat "easily" scratch up the money if the opportunity arose. Not bragging. Just stating. I don't think it's an ungodly sum.

I knew it!!!

I've always wanted to ask you this....

Do you still get any royalties from your time with Genesis?

Peter Gabriel! Now I'm impressed!!!

lol

So far in this thread we have one person preferring the McFarlane Spiderman 1 OA to the Kirby Amazing Spiderman 1 cover OA

We have another thread where a poll shows majority of respondents value killing joke 1 oa cover between 600k and 700k

And then we have a plethora of posters here claiming that hulk 1 and amazing Spiderman 1 cover art probably wouldn't sell at 1 million dollars if auctioned today

I don't get any of this

It's like I'm living in bizzaro world

Or maybe 1989-1990 time period

Beam me up Scotty :screwy:

So far in this thread we have one person preferring the McFarlane Spiderman 1 OA to the Kirby Amazing Spiderman 1 cover OA

I always considered the ASM # 1 cover to be the work of Ditko, not Kirby?

The AF # 15 cover is credited to Kirby.

Yuh I think ur right terry

Even better :)

Ditko beats Kirby on Spiderman in my mind

My larger point was that this obsession with dark knight and killing joke and 80s driven nostalgia to the exclusion of the proper historical relevance and hierarchy is so miscalculated in my opinion

Reminds me of comic books valuing whiz 1 as comparable to action 1 In the 1980s

Time will sort all this out I believe

Just think some of the opinions here on the boards as regards value is mistaken

I could be wrong but I think the ASM #1 cover was Kirby pencils and Ditko inks

Looks like Ditko to me, but you could be right.

I think this makes sense. You can see both men's style on the cover.

My larger point was that this obsession with dark knight and killing joke and 80s driven nostalgia to the exclusion of the proper historical relevance and hierarchy is so miscalculated in my opinion

Older generation who picked up their Silver Age Marvels, DC's etc at the corner newsstands are slowing their purchases, selling off some or most of their collections or petering out altogether.

Next big wave of collectors, those who are in their late 30's - early 50's, are driving the current marketplace on the stuff they grew up.

Older generation who picked up their Silver Age Marvels, DC's etc at the corner newsstands are slowing their purchases, selling off some or most of their collections or petering out altogether.

Next big wave of collectors, those who are in their late 30's - early 50's, are driving the current marketplace on the stuff they grew up.

No doubt you are right. That said, nostalgia is a poor investment strategy. I get that the heart wants what the heart wants but we are all grown ups here . . . No ? lol. Just kidding, I know that's not the case.

My point was that a historical broader context is needed to appreciate the significance of a piece of comic OA as determined by future generations. Minus the nostalgia which distorts perception.