• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 5

108 posts in this topic

I saw the water along the lower spine of the Spidey, but didn't think CGC would hammer it the way it did. Oh well...

Yep.

That's what pushed it down for me, looked like very faint water stain running along the bc top and the bc soiling spot at the lower left edge.

lol I knew it

I had been under grading like crazy and went the other way doh!

Likewise. It's interesting...I graded both of these books a full point plus because I had been undergrading...thought the BAT was an 8.5 and gave it a 9.0...I swing the other way...bullseye :cloud9:

Thought the ASM 104 was a 6.0...rounded up to 7.0...round down one even integer...bullseye...

Dang :frustrated:

I did too those grades shocked me

I saw the water along the lower spine of the Spidey, but didn't think CGC would hammer it the way it did. Oh well...

Yep.

That's what pushed it down for me, looked like very faint water stain running along the bc top and the bc soiling spot at the lower left edge.

My eyes are failing me I didn't see that.

I tried to compensate for my tendency to be harsh and undergrade. I know CGC can be tough on cover staining, so I initially dropped the ASM grade to 6.0 and then hacked another 1.0 off for the numerous colour-breaking creases.

Then, 'No, that's what they'll be expecting me to do' syndrome kicked in, I relented, and graded it back up to a 6.0 .

I figured that CGC would kill the book because of the back cover stain AND the very rusty bottom staple. I still didn't go low enough. The combination of the stain and the staple in a line is going to scream moisture damage and CGC will kill it.

From personal experience, a slightly rusted staple (a speck or two) will drop a book two grades. A heavily rusted staple where the rust stains the surrounding paper is an absolute grade killer.

The upside is that you get a tremendously attractive, well presenting book for the grade.