• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HIGH GRADE FF's, Mad About Millie, Spectre, MORE .99 cents! No Res!!

21 posts in this topic

Dropping a line about my first big auction of the spring. A lot of stuff is spring clean-up time (a bunch of lots and runs at .99 each), but you guys will be more interested in the little run of high grade silver in there too!

Fantastic Four 85, 87, 89

The Spectre 7

Mad About Milllie (Giant-Size) 2

Green Lantern 31

Tales of Asgard 1

Check It Out!

Also, listing a bunch of misc. hardcover books (non-fiction, poetry, fiction novels, etc...)

Thanks for looking! headbang.gif

Looks like you may have missed a long crease on the LRC of the FF#87. frown.gif Some nice books there though. The 85 looks nice.

Yep... frown.gif

87 is a tough one.

I thought I had a unread, NM+ keeper a few years back only to find upon opening it up to make sure everything was there that the top staple was never properly attached the cover. A production problem no doubt since the book was stress free.

frustrated.gif

Looks like you may have missed a long crease on the LRC of the FF#87. frown.gif Some nice books there though. The 85 looks nice.

Apparantly you didnt read his description or I need glasses 27_laughing.gif

Davidking623

I think he was refering to the grade.

I'm pretty sure a NM 9.4 book can't have a crease like that. gossip.gif

Davidking623

I didn't read it. I saw the "NM" grade and looked at the photo. No way is it anywhere near a NM 9.4.

You should look those books over again. The FFs, Avengers 64 and the Spectre have some pretty long color breaking creases (as FFB pointed out). No offense intended, but maybe you should tighten up your grading a bit. Just my 2 cents. flowerred.gif

At .99 cents, No Res, Not much to complain about though right? I'm pretty sure I listed all the defects in my description, I'll check again.

The FF's (85 & 87 are the best two) present incredibly well, they truly look brand new. The quality of the inks and colors on both is really beautiful. That one crease is the only defect. And as I said, it is a very faint color break.

...Hey! Just checked my auction...No where do I say the FF's are 9.4's. confused-smiley-013.gif All I said is that they are NM. Which I still feel they are. The auction states that the #87 would be a 9.6 if it weren't for the crease.

What grade would you give it?

And what about the others? Grading is pretty tight, right?

1. Mad About Millie #2 NM

2. Spectre #7 9.2 NM

3. Asgard #1 9.2/9.4 NM

4. Avengers #64 VF/NM

5. FF 89 VF/NM

Any disputes with these grades?

Oh..and by the way bumpit.gifA bunch of .99 lots are ending today. Some high grade 80's stuff in there among the bargins! Enjoy!

When someone misrepresents the grade of a comic book, there is always cause to complain. The auction STARTS at .99 with no reserve. It will not END there and your misrepresentation of the grades will help make sure that the books go for a higher price.

There is no way that FF 87 with the crease is a NM or a 9.4 or a 94 under the old Overstreet scale. Your argument that you "didn't say it was a 9.4" is weak and completely lame. NM = 9.4. So, you DID actually call the book a 9.4.

With that crease, even if the rest of the book is perfect, I still would not grade the FF#87 higher than a 6.5 to 7.0. As for the other books, there appears to be wear on some of them that is inconsistent with the grades given. But the scans are too small to see everything, so if you want people to grade your books for you, put up big scans of the front and back covers in the grading threads and you'll have a dozen opinions before lunchtime.

However, it is ultimately not our job to grade your books for you. Get a grading guide and learn how to do it for yourself.

At .99 cents, No Res, Not much to complain about though right? I'm pretty sure I listed all the defects in my description, I'll check again.

The FF's (85 & 87 are the best two) present incredibly well, they truly look brand new. The quality of the inks and colors on both is really beautiful. That one crease is the only defect. And as I said, it is a very faint color break.

...Hey! Just checked my auction...No where do I say the FF's are 9.4's. confused-smiley-013.gif All I said is that they are NM. Which I still feel they are. The auction states that the #87 would be a 9.6 if it weren't for the crease.

2. Spectre #7 9.2 NM

3. Asgard #1 9.2/9.4 NM

4. Avengers #64 VF/NM

5. FF 89 VF/NM

Oh..and by the way bumpit.gifA bunch of .99 lots are ending today. Some high grade 80's stuff in there among the bargins! Enjoy!

I just don't agree with that grade of 6.5/7.0 for this book. My opinion. I provide extra large scans at any email request. I am not purposely misrepresenting any book. I am giving my non-professional opinion. I am offering these books at no reseve. If they sell for .99 cents so be it. If they sell for $100, even better. Either way, I think the grading is subjective, but fair. I offer large scans, and a detailed description of any defects. I clearly state that there is a crease. It's not like the listing states, this book is perfect, no flaws at all. I say "Here are the flaws" confused-smiley-013.gif

Your argument that you "didn't say it was a 9.4" is weak and completely lame. NM = 9.4. So, you DID actually call the book a 9.4.

It has been my experience that on ebay, that sellers assign anything from a 9.0 (Vf/NM) to a 9.8 (NM/MT) a generic "NM" grade since it is the catch all grade that they know people are looking for. I think it is the personal bias that keeps them from calling a book that is otherwise in perfect 9.6 condition but marred with a long color breaking crease the true 6.5/7.0 (FN+/fnvf) it deserves. I've also seen people take CGC's lead in this and just call the book a "Qualified" 9.4 (NM) - since if it wasn't for the one long arse ugly crease, the book would have graded a 9.4 foreheadslap.gif

For the starting price, I think it is fair, but the problem is what the price of this will eventually end at, since we have NM whores out there that will bid these books sky high on the tenuous assumption that it is a "true" NM or will get anywhere near a CGC 9.4 if it grades out.

as for the other books, I don't want to pick apart a forum member's offerings in the marketplace. I do want to ask a question about the MAd about millie 2 -

Is there foxing (brown spots) going on under the price box in the upper left corner area of the front cover?

Yeah, it's a marking from the staple. The staple does not "poke through" but has left a mark. My CAP #109 had the exact same type of marking and it graded at 9.4, so confused-smiley-013.gif. If you want any additional scans just PM me!

That was a very good post Darth. You clarified some of the points I was trying to make.

2. Spectre #7 9.2 NM

3. Asgard #1 9.2/9.4 NM

4. Avengers #64 VF/NM

5. FF 89 VF/NM

This isn't the grading forum so I'm not ripping on anyone's grades here.

The Marketplace is the most delicate of all the forums to debate grading when a book is being sold at auction.

Some fool may be trashing a book he wants just to scare off other would be bidders.

If you don't agree with the grade given just don't bid, as I always say.

Well I don't always say that but it makes sense anyhow.

popcorn.gif

The Marketplace is the most delicate of all the forums to debate grading when a book is being sold at auction.

Some fool may be trashing a book he wants just to scare off other would be bidders.

popcorn.gif

Thanks, good post. Everybody - good posts.

Davidking623

I didn't read it. I saw the "NM" grade and looked at the photo. No way is it anywhere near a NM 9.4.

Defintely not a NM copy but at least it is a detailed scan and he describes the flaw in his descriptiion.Much better than some of the small scans describing a NM copy without letting you know.

Davidking623

popcorn.gif

I think the general idea, trying to be polite about it is that a

big honkin' scan, or even a very large camera picture is

massively preferable to the teensy weensy ebay pic.

I don't list comics that much any more, mostly buy to

fill want lists, but when I do sell, it's with tons of photos.

A current auction.

popcorn.gif

I think the general idea, trying to be polite about it is that a

big honkin' scan, or even a very large camera picture is

massively preferable to the teensy weensy ebay pic.

I don't list comics that much any more, mostly buy to

fill want lists, but when I do sell, it's with tons of photos.

A current auction.

Wow and I do mean lots of pics! Nice new avatar whos it of?

Davidking623