• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ART DAY! Hammer Films 1966 Movie Poster painting

47 posts in this topic

Just an example of the sort of dumb reason it would likely be, IMO. Not saying it was that reason in particular necessarily.

If it's any consolation, it horrifies me to think that (for whatever reason) such practices happened! ;)

Agree. I just edited in a similar comment while you were posting that.

Here's a photo of Tom Chantrell's wife, Shirley, surrounded by framed originals of her husband's works.

Chantrell%201_2.jpg

Most of these works (with the exceptions of the Elvis Presley and Dracula poster originals at left, mostly out of shot) appear to be promotional pieces. In addition to providing finished artwork for the Hammer quad movie posters, Chantrell was also called upon to provide concept artworks for (then) proposed new movie projects as part of an effort to secure financial backing.

The Food of the Gods painting is a prototype piece of art. A finished painting was subsequently produced, pretty much retaining all of the design.

The (mostly out of shot) original finished painting for the Dracula Has Risen From the Grave quad movie poster (1968) was later donated to a London museum. Here's the full poster:

Chantrell%202_2.jpg

All images in this thread courtesy of chantrellposter.com.

Great stuff! Thanks for posting, Terry. Really enjoyed getting caught up in this thread (I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks).

I was lucky enough to get the poster art to one of my all-time favorite movies, and it's every bit as meaningful to me as my favorite OA. I'm also surprised at how relatively "cheap" movie poster art is (at least what I've seen) next to OA.

This sale of the ROBOCOP poster art was considered high when it it sold for $48K in 2014...but it sure seems like a decent deal when B-level Bronze Age art is going for the same (or more!):

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/action/robocop-orion-1987-original-mike-bryan-poster-artwork-3325-x-5125-total-2-items-/a/7094-83131.s

Thanks, Felix. The Aliens poster art is terrific; it's great when you can have the winning combination of great poster art that ties-in to a standout movie.

There are about half-a-dozen Reynold Browns dotted around CAF; one of the all-time greats in movie poster artwork.

I was going to stop at one further example for my collection, but have now extended this by a further two. Purchase is scheduled within the next few weeks, so I'll update as and when.

I noticed that sale and piece also.

here's a googled photo of it in life (don't know who is standing beside it).

There was a prelim or something that sold a year later as well.

trey.jpg

I noticed that sale and piece also.

here's a googled photo of it in life (don't know who is standing beside it).

There was a prelim or something that sold a year later as well.

trey.jpg

Given that its robocop I have to bust out the old line:

d6c137af05f23efdf3819e5222190ec330f47f8db52d3e1807d0bbf6d5dce612.jpg