• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Susan Ciccioni's The Restoration Lab's Website Back Online!

40 posts in this topic

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Now we have a pressing thread in the grading forum.

Life is just full of these gifts that keep on giving.

Just like genital warts, kidney stones, and staff infections.

popcorn.gif

Not saying I agree with her decision to stop NDP pressing, but that is why I believe she's doing it.

Man that's cool because it is her business and I respect how she wants to run it, but I can do without the "denouncing" press releases - is she really making a comment on her fellow restorers and how they choose to conduct their business?

I agree with you 100%.

In fairness, I'm not sure that Mark's headline that Sue "denounced" pressing was really accurate when you look at what she was saying. If anything, she was denouncing non-disclosure. I doubt she thinks there's anything inherently wrong with pressing in and of itself.

Happy Happy Joy Joy

popcorn.gif

You have an infected staff? That must be painful when you pee. Is it infected with staph? poke2.gif

alright alright...

"Staph Infection"

I was just trying to be funny.

You know this is going to go on for forty more pages.

And about page 12 the smilies in quotes will take over.

27_laughing.gif

Not saying I agree with her decision to stop NDP pressing, but that is why I believe she's doing it.

Man that's cool because it is her business and I respect how she wants to run it, but I can do without the "denouncing" press releases - is she really making a comment on her fellow restorers and how they choose to conduct their business?

I agree with you 100%.

In fairness, I'm not sure that Mark's headline that Sue "denounced" pressing was really accurate when you look at what she was saying. If anything, she was denouncing non-disclosure. I doubt she thinks there's anything inherently wrong with pressing in and of itself.

Exactly right. She denounced non-disclosure, and amateur pressing.

And I'm a living example of what Darth is talking about. I had my America's Best #7 pressed not for resale, but because a few non-color-breaking creases really annoyed me.

I agree with you 100%.

Exactly right. She denounced non-disclosure, and amateur pressing.

And I'm a living example of what Darth is talking about. I had my America's Best #7 pressed not for resale, but because a few non-color-breaking creases really annoyed me.

Just make sure you wrinkle it back up before you sell it or Mark Zaid will come for you. poke2.gif

Susan Ciccioni of The Restoration Lab unveiled her new website today.

Susan Ciccioni's The Restoration Lab

www.therestorationlab.com

I especially encourage everyone to view her Photo section which features some amazing graphics of before and after pictures of her work.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been tryin to check her site out for a long time!.......... thumbsup2.gif

But if for ANY reason down the road.. you were to sell your books.

Susan seems to not want to be part of something she views as restoration, to enhace the possible resale of your books for more money.

(Unless of course you disclosed the books were pressed?)

Just to be clear...for my own sales I'm all about full disclosure. I'm not a dishonest . 2nd, I only sell my price variants if I have upgraded or have a lead on a better copy - so with a set of 9.8s, I'm guessing I won't be upgrading anytime soon. But for what you said above, Susan would also have to predict the future as well as be a human lie-detector before she can do business with anyone. tongue.gif

I think for the most part.. she has made it clear she does not like (as I called it earlier.. greed motivated) people taking books..

That just cut out almost everyone in this business except for the pure collector who doesn't trade or sell his books and will take it to his grave or pass it on to his offspring. 27_laughing.gif What about dealers or flippers who profit off their sales? Couldn't greed be a motivation for them as well?

Two quick points:

1) I'm sure Matt and Tracey are crying that Susan won't do NDP.

2) She probably would get very little business doing NDP at the rates she charges.

This still goes back to the issue of CGC or a related company of CGC going into the business of pressing (whenever that is) comics. If they do I think it will be a blow to their credibility and their public image. So far we have only heard weak arguements to support their position and frankly I find them insulting.

I don't care what conversation Steve B. might have had with Susan the bottom line is that pressing is restoration and I appreciate Mark efforts in having the guts to bring this issue to the forefront. I think the overwhelming reaction to this proposed venture was negative and I hope the decision makers at CGC reconsider.

All, listen, if you have questions regarding Susan's policy, you should obviously (ahem, Darth) direct them towards Susan, not me.

I only noted that her website was revised and now live. I am not her spokesman, representative, agent or attorney. Her e-mail address is clearly listed on her website and if you write to her, perhaps she will respond, perhaps not. I can't say which. Either way, please don't hold it against me! flowerred.gif

If you write me, I'll respond. Well, maybe not to Darth. poke2.gif

You are no fun Mark sumo.gif I'm gonna have to write FFB now and ask about tracey Heft's opinions...

Besides, I'm betting there is no way in hell that Susan would even look at my high grade BRONZE variants much less consider them true candidates for her miraculous restorative capabilites confused-smiley-013.gif

I've got SCS on some that need pressing out...maybe you could put a good word in for me 27_laughing.gif

You are no fun Mark sumo.gif I'm gonna have to write FFB now and ask about tracey Heft's opinions...

I'm a lot of fun. Look at me bounce. yay.gif

Actually, I am still waiting to see Tracey's opinions as well. He was going to send them to me, then put them through Scoop, but there is something else in the works that I am waiting to hear more about. Matt Nelson also said he would respond but I haven't heard back since.

I've got SCS on some that need pressing out...maybe you could put a good word in for me 27_laughing.gif

If you get Borok to buy me Johnnie Walker Blue at the Phily Forum dinner, I'll consider it! headbang.gif

100128_big.jpg

At ~$325 per 750ml bottle, I'm guessing Borocks down with $75 shots for his boys tongue.gif

It's just $150 per bottle at the duty free shops at int'l airports and $120 per bottle on Caribbean cruise ships. Steve B. is a jet setter so this should be no prob! hail.gif

Besides, I'm betting there is no way in hell that Susan would even look at my high grade BRONZE variants much less consider them true candidates for her miraculous restorative capabilites confused-smiley-013.gif

The funny thing about Susan is, you send her an email asking for free information about pressing, trimming, what have you, and you get paragraph after paragraph of great insight and useful information.

But if you email her with a clear scan of a comic and ask for a ballpark estimate on a tape removal job, you get back a terse, one-line response that says "send me the book, I can't give you a ballpark cost estimate based on this photo."

Sorry, but I'm not sending my book to Boston just so that you can tell me a ballpark of how much it'll cost to remove tape. confused-smiley-013.gif Nor should I have to.

27_laughing.gif.. then why did she bother putting this line in her pricing information section..

Scans are always welcomed to give a "ballpark" figure.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Would lead one to believe sending her a scan could get you a rough idea of what it might take to restore a book.........a ballpark figure if you will.

Ze-

Happy Happy Joy Joy

popcorn.gif

You have an infected staff? That must be painful when you pee. Is it infected with staph? poke2.gif

I have pretty good skills with a bow-staff. insane.gif

Seriously though, the site is allright. I wish there was a little more detail about the services, like "How long does it take to turn the average g?VG into a VF"?. Should also list the types of work that can be performed on the services page.

Pics looks good, although there could be more. I like the before/after drag effect. Too bad no pics of the Picasso drawings (other than the background of the site).