• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future of Comic Book Collecting & Investing

170 posts in this topic

Llet's see...an average print run may be 100,000 copies today (I think in the 90's is was quite a bit higher)....

A whole hundred thousand or more issues, eh? My how times have changed. Take a look at the alleged readership of this book from the late '40's;

58909-943-91904-1-crime-does-not-pay.jpg

It's the culture that has changed. When this book came out, TV was in it's infancy in most of the country, and other than the movies, comics & magazines were the only other medium of entertainment.

Now you've got the internet and all kinds of wireless mediums, video games, etc, so comics aren't as important, nor as prominent, as they were then.

How this translates to what the comic book market will be in the future is anyone's guess, but I would speculate that there will always be a small, hardcore collecting community, interested in seeing covers and reading stories about WW2 superheros, 1920's gangsters, 1950's science fiction and horror, etc, not to mention some of the more recent genre's since then. And since there is only a finite number of these oldies, I would expect that they will always hold some value. I can't believe what PCH is going for now, as compared to just 15 - 20 years ago.

I also wanted to remind you that back in the 50s, this was the definition of Moderns heating up:

comic_book_burning_19481.png

For prices to increase from here -- which is what you need, of course, if you are thinking of comics as investments -- requires future developments that will lead to a similar increase in demand. It's difficult to imagine what such developments might be.

Again, I do remember these similar arguments on a similar thread 10 years ago (or thereabouts) on the forum. Who knew back then that characters in comics would be so mainstream today in movies and television. Many of the naysayers back then also felt there would be nothing in the future to help this hobby survive. I'm thinking like I did back then, something will happen. I don't know what...but it's something we won't expect.

Also, it wasn't only the movies that helped the hobby, the beginnings of CGC gave us a pretty good kick start as well. Then Superman died. Certainly it could be something huge or a series of smaller events or a combination of both. What if they stopped printing comics en masse and your only source was back issues. Sure it's easy to suspect that could be the beginning of the end, but if your only source was back issues, maybe it could have the opposite effect. The bottom line is like many times in the past, you won't know what it will be until after it happens.

China does not have a tradition of a native production of comics, so I doubt the chinese in general will develop an interest in a short time span, be it in american or other countries' comics.

Jam a stick in it, frenchie

9780385005418-us.jpg

Llet's see...an average print run may be 100,000 copies today (I think in the 90's is was quite a bit higher)....

A whole hundred thousand or more issues, eh? My how times have changed. Take a look at the alleged readership of this book from the late '40's;

58909-943-91904-1-crime-does-not-pay.jpg

It's the culture that has changed. When this book came out, TV was in it's infancy in most of the country, and other than the movies, comics & magazines were the only other medium of entertainment.

Now you've got the internet and all kinds of wireless mediums, video games, etc, so comics aren't as important, nor as prominent, as they were then.

How this translates to what the comic book market will be in the future is anyone's guess, but I would speculate that there will always be a small, hardcore collecting community, interested in seeing covers and reading stories about WW2 superheros, 1920's gangsters, 1950's science fiction and horror, etc, not to mention some of the more recent genre's since then. And since there is only a finite number of these oldies, I would expect that they will always hold some value. I can't believe what PCH is going for now, as compared to just 15 - 20 years ago.

I also wanted to remind you that back in the 50s, this was the definition of Moderns heating up:

comic_book_burning_19481.png

Yup, I remember the "Awful comics" paranoia. There was a reason for a Senate Subcommittee to investigate such, as PTA groups and others wrote their congressmen demanding action.

Notice in your picture that most of the participants are of the female gender; those books weren't meant for them, and wouldn't you just love to see the look on the face of the gal holding the Weird Science and TFTC in the front, if she were told what those awful ten cent comic books would fetch today from collectors (remember, that was back in '53 or '54, when the books would have been in the NM-VF range)? :wink:

Good Lord man!! And those are for completed final hammer auctions??? oh well, to each their own I guess (shrug)

POKEMON is the hottest collectible in America now.

An example of Rule of 25 at it`s best.

Start stocking up on Power Rangers and Harry Potter stuff.

;)

Here's my Question:

In about 20-30 years from now, will Comic Book Collecting still be hot?

In other words, as current collectors who average in age 50 and up start to die off (sorry for the morbidity), assuming their heirs liquidate their collections; will there still be a strong demand for comic books whereby their values will still remain strong?

Some possibilities:

1. No: Values will Fall: As collectors start to die, their heirs (the majority of which have no appreciation for these books) will quickly sell and there will be a "flood" (OK maybe not quite a flood; but certainly more supply) thereby driving prices down.

2. Yes: Values will remain/retain overall as there is a current strong interest among a younger age group that will continue. Evidenced by seeing many many young kids at Cons. As they mature and their interest continues, they will want to know about the "Origins" and genesis of their favorite characters.

3. It depends on the Book: Golden Age Books might actually take a hit. The reasoning being that as a population matures, each generation harkens back to what they emotionally identify with as children. So if you buy into this argument, then in years to come future adults will be more interested in modern age books and the Golden & Silver Age will loose value (maybe not all of their value but certainly a decent percentage).

I would love to hear your thoughts. Please let's try to keep this "logical/analytical".

Upcoming game changers.

Print on Demand comic books.

Print on Demand Certified comic books.

Keep an eye on Amazon,as they now own the digital comic book powerhouse Comixology and they are always looking to expand their markets.