• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any really good comic shops in LOndon, UK?

22 posts in this topic

The problem for us over here is the relative lack of space and consequential high retail rentals.

Our shop in Leeds is only 600 square feet, and the rent is £20K a year.

We don't have the space available to display back issues. Imagine how much it would cost in London.

I visited Brian Peets' A-1 store a few years ago - a whole bank full of stuff.

I'd love to do something like that, but it's just too expensive over here.

Check out 30th Century Comics by Putney Bridge, they have a reasonable selection of stuff there.

30th Century Comics are pretty good.

Orbital Comics is ok

Forbidden Planet is huge but should be avoided at all costs

There is a monthly comic mart held near Russell Square which is pretty decent

London Comic Mart

You could always contact Nick (Flaming_Telepath) who runs Comicana Direct from Kings Langley. He doesn't gave a store as such but occasionally allows customers to visit his office to look at his stock. It's only a short train journey out of London.

When I went to Orbital Comics, last August, they had a back issue section and some original art but, for central London shops, it's all quite minimal compared to what you could get back in the 80s in particular, at very cheap prices. That opportunity's long gone for the city, and I rarely bother looking anymore.

Just been in Orbital and they seem to have a folder of Dark Knight original art. As people have said 30th century have a lot, although a lot are pence variants. Mega City Comics also seem to have a fair selection in Camden.

When nigh you be in London?

I like Gosh Comics... There's a small-ish back issue selection (maybe 20 boxes) in the basement, but the main level is chock full of quirky stuff that you just won't find in North American shops.

Of the 3 main comic stores in London, Orbital would be my pick for the 'best' one. Decent back issue section and some OA as well. They also have an exhibition space which occasionally has some interesting stuff. Probably the best all-round comic store in the capital. It's long been my place to pick up the latest comics.

Gosh aren't so great for back issues but they do have some really fun, quirky stuff that you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else. They also have some nice OA available too.

Forbidden Planet is as corporate as they come and, as said above, should be avoided.

30th Century Comics is further out from the centre but not too far out. Tons of back issues but quite a lot of pence copies and grading is not brilliant. Good place to pick up non-keys in average grades though.

US based comic collectors (and indeed any collectors from outside the UK) are probably best advised to come over here when the London Super Comic Con is on. It's the only con we have which comes closest to what you have in the States. Dealers such as Bob Storms and Harley Yee are regulars as are Metropolis. Usually a good range of guests too although it hasn't been too strong on Silver and Bronze Age creators in the past couple of years IMO. Plenty of accommodation nearby and although the surrounding area isn't great, you can get into the centre of town easily and fairly quickly.

Edited by StarkEnterprises

Orbital is absolutely astronomical in terms of price - well for silver age stuff.

I was in there about 2 or 3 months ago and they we wanting £300 for a copy of FF41...

I'd recommend Nick also.

Forbidden Planet is huge but should be avoided at all costs

Forbidden Planet is new material and many, many shelves of trade paperbacks and hardcovers at full retail price : as far as comics are concerned, that's basically it. Very different to the great shop that it was when it started back in the 70s.

London Comic Mart

Is this hike-able from which Tube station? I will be in London, UK the week of Sept 18/16. Do most collectors pay the 5 Pounds to enter at 11 a.m. rather than wait for free general admission at noon? With 130 tables, will there be some original comic art for sale? :foryou:

I may be heading to London

any recommendations for shops with a good selection of back issues and OA?

Forget about the comics and have a boardie night out in London - much more enjoyable.

London Comic Mart

Is this hike-able from which Tube station? I will be in London, UK the week of Sept 18/16. Do most collectors pay the 5 Pounds to enter at 11 a.m. rather than wait for free general admission at noon? With 130 tables, will there be some original comic art for sale? :foryou:

......130 tables! more like 13.

London Comic Mart

From Russel Square tube it is a short wall down the side of the park to the hotel. Usually 3 fairly big stands, Incognito being one of them, with a bunch of satellite ones selling similar, and then the usual array of . I've never paid the £5, but have arrived dead on 12pm to see a fair few people inside. I've never seen any OA there.

London Comic Mart

With 130 tables, will there be some original comic art for sale? :foryou:

Does this mean 13 tables of back issue comics, and the rest are overstocked newer graphic novels, Pop toys, tattoos, swords, Pokemon cards, used DVDs, vinyl records? :preach: First time in London, UK.

London Comic Mart

Does this mean 13 tables of back issue comics, and the rest are overstocked newer graphic novels, Pop toys, tattoos, swords, Pokemon cards, used DVDs, vinyl records? :preach: First time in London, UK.

.....about 1/2 dozen tables with decent back issues, although there doesn't seem to be much new stock and the con seems to have stagnated over the last year or so. I still go and am hoping it improves. London is well worth a visit at any time of the year!

London Comic Mart

.....about 1/2 dozen tables with decent back issues, although there doesn't seem to be much new stock and the con seems to have stagnated over the last year or so. I still go and am hoping it improves. London is well worth a visit at any time of the year!

I only go once or twice per year so always manage to pick up a few books. I tend to hold my cash for an annual binge at LSCC