• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Rate Structure - Simple Explanation Request

10 posts in this topic

I'm still a bit mystified by the CGC submission form.

So, my questions are:

1) Is the definition of "Modern" from 1975 to present or from 1980 to present?

2) If the rate for a "Modern" book is $18 by their rate card, what is the rate for a non-Modern book? Such as Silver Age and/or Golden Age? Regardless of value, is there just 2 classifications one which is Pre-Modern (before the Modern date range) and then simply Modern? I know that if you submit a batch of Silver Age and a batch of Modern books, they grade them but charge separate shipping, dividing the parcels, right?

3) If I wanted to submit let's say 100 books for grading, all Modern, but not of the same title, just various books from my personal collection, is there a bulk submission rate (i.e. quantity discount)?

4) What's the general opinion of Green Label grades, getting pre-signed (uncertified autographs) books graded? I acquired a lot of books legitimately with creator autographs through the years and was thinking of getting some graded, especially by deceased creators like Michael Turner. From a resale standpoint, is "Green" a color most avoid like the plague?

5) How much does it cost extra to submit a modern book through the "signature series" with a CGC witness on hand at a convention?

6) What is the rate (price) to grade a Silver Age book? I have a lot of pretty trashed "reader condition" books I wanted to get graded for my personal collection, as I like they way they look slabbed, so it's essentially a picture frame for me. With that, and less regard for if it's worthwhile to get a book graded, but how much the grading costs, I'm unclear on that rate.

7) How does the value premium rates work? I thought I heard CGC charges a grading fee based on the value of a book. Is there a bottom floor and then a benchmark where when a book of let's say a $500 or greater value is submitted, it then triggers a % premium? Who and how is valuation evaluated and assessed?

Thanks for anyone's help to clarify the process for me...

So, my questions are:

2) If the rate for a "Modern" book is $18 by their rate card, what is the rate for a non-Modern book? Such as Silver Age and/or Golden Age? Regardless of value, is there just 2 classifications one which is Pre-Modern (before the Modern date range) and then simply Modern? I know that if you submit a batch of Silver Age and a batch of Modern books, they grade them but charge separate shipping, dividing the parcels, right?

3) If I wanted to submit let's say 100 books for grading, all Modern, but not of the same title, just various books from my personal collection, is there a bulk submission rate (i.e. quantity discount)?

4) What's the general opinion of Green Label grades, getting pre-signed (uncertified autographs) books graded? I acquired a lot of books legitimately with creator autographs through the years and was thinking of getting some graded, especially by deceased creators like Michael Turner. From a resale standpoint, is "Green" a color most avoid like the plague?

5) How much does it cost extra to submit a modern book through the "signature series" with a CGC witness on hand at a convention?

6) What is the rate (price) to grade a Silver Age book? I have a lot of pretty trashed "reader condition" books I wanted to get graded for my personal collection, as I like they way they look slabbed, so it's essentially a picture frame for me. With that, and less regard for if it's worthwhile to get a book graded, but how much the grading costs, I'm unclear on that rate.

7) How does the value premium rates work? I thought I heard CGC charges a grading fee based on the value of a book. Is there a bottom floor and then a benchmark where when a book of let's say a $500 or greater value is submitted, it then triggers a % premium? Who and how is valuation evaluated and assessed?

1) 1975 to present.

2) There's no one rate for a non-modern book - any book can be submitted under either the Economy, Value (you need a minimum amount of submissions for this tier, though), Standard, Express or Walk-through tier. Post-1975 books can be submitted under these tiers too - the Modern tier is only for post-1975 books with a value of $200 or less.

3) No

4) Across the board, qualified label books with unverified sigs are far less desirable than either blue or yellow label books. There are a handful of exceptions, but Turner books aren't one of them.

5) $28 (so an extra $10 on top of the Modern rate)

6) Cheapest tier for SA books is the Value tier - it's $25/book, but you need to submit a minimum of 15 books. Second cheapest is the Economy tier at $35/book with no minimum required.

7) That's the walk-through tier - for books with a value of more than $3,000. You get charged 3% of the fair market value of the book, with a minimum charge of $150 and a maximum charge of $3,000.

6) Cheapest tier for SA books is the Value tier - it's $25/book, but you need to submit a minimum of 15 books. Second cheapest is the Economy tier at $35/book with no minimum required.

M Schmidt - - THANK YOU very much for clarifying it all for me, I truly appreciate your assistance.

So, to get myself clear on this.

The $18 rate that CGC has is the lowest rate available and it's for modern comics valued at $200 or less only?

Then if I had any book published before 1975, it would be at cheapest, $25 to grade, so no silver age book could be graded for $18?

The different methods determine the turn-around time and are:

CGC Economy

CGC Value

CGC Standard

CGC Express

CGC Walk Through

I'm looking to get books graded for my collection, and nothing urgent, so it sounds like "Economy" is my best option, at $18 per book.

If I had a book that sells for over $200, however, what happens then? Does that become a higher fee based on the value?

I'm looking to get books graded for my collection, and nothing urgent, so it sounds like "Economy" is my best option, at $18 per book.

Please reread your own quote from Mschmidt = Economy tier is $35/book .

The $18 rate that CGC has is the lowest rate available and it's for modern comics valued at $200 or less only?

Yep!

Then if I had any book published before 1975, it would be at cheapest, $25 to grade, so no silver age book could be graded for $18?

That's correct as well.

The different methods determine the turn-around time and are:

CGC Economy

CGC Value

CGC Standard

CGC Express

CGC Walk Through

The Economy tier is $35/book (it's the Modern tier that's $18/book) - if you really don't care that it's going to take 4-5 months for the books to come back, the cheapest option for pre-1975 books is the Value tier at $25/book.

If I had a book that sells for over $200, however, what happens then? Does that become a higher fee based on the value?

Each tier has its own value limit - for the Modern & Value tiers it's $200, for the Economy tier it's $400, Standard tier is $1,000, Express is $3,000 and walk-through has no limit.

The tier value limits are really for the benefit of the submitter - they tell you the maximum amount the book will be insured for while it's in CGC's possession and while it's being shipped back to you. Eg. for the Modern tier no matter what the real value of the book is, you can't put a value higher than $200 on the form.

In reality, CGC is pretty lax about comparing the real value of a book to the value listed on the form, though. A New Mutants #98 in 9.8 is a $700 book currently yet people happily submit it under the Modern tier with an insured value of $200 and it sails right through. And I see books that I know are worth $600, $700, $800, $1k being submitted under the Economy tier with an insured value of $400 all the time.

One of the few exceptions are Walking Dead #1s where CGC usually tells people they need to submit them under the Standard tier because, no matter the grade, they really aren't $200 books anymore ...

So, my questions are:

1) 1975 to present.

2) There's no one rate for a non-modern book - any book can be submitted under either the Economy, Value (you need a minimum amount of submissions for this tier, though), Standard, Express or Walk-through tier. Post-1975 books can be submitted under these tiers too - the Modern tier is only for post-1975 books with a value of $200 or less.

3) No

4) Across the board, qualified label books with unverified sigs are far less desirable than either blue or yellow label books. There are a handful of exceptions, but Turner books aren't one of them.

7) That's the walk-through tier - for books with a value of more than $3,000. You get charged 3% of the fair market value of the book, with a minimum charge of $150 and a maximum charge of $3,000.

Well, yes and no. CGC has three membership tiers. The lowest ($39) gives you a basic 10% discount. The middle ($149) gives you the same 10% discount and a $150 credit on grading. The highest ($299) gives you a 15% discount and a $150 credit on grading. So if you have enough volume that the extra 5% discount is worth more than the extra $150 cost then you do get something of a volume discount.

So, my questions are:

1) 1975 to present.

3) No

Well, yes and no. CGC has three membership tiers. The lowest ($39) gives you a basic 10% discount. The middle ($149) gives you the same 10% discount and a $150 credit on grading. The highest ($299) gives you a 15% discount and a $150 credit on grading. So if you have enough volume that the extra 5% discount is worth more than the extra $150 cost then you do get something of a volume discount.

That's not a volume discount, it's a membership discount :baiting: