• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Don't Lurkers Become Active Board Members?

153 posts in this topic

Everytime I check out a certain thread, there are more lurkers viewing it than active board members. What's the reason for not signing up and joining one of the groups on these boards. I challenge all the lurkers out there to sign up and tell us the real reason. Also, for the people that have recently joined after being long time lurkers, let us know what your thoughts are. Here's a list of 10 reasons that you can choose from, or make up your own:

1.) Too busy with other things in life to spend time posting on these boards.

2.) Afraid that your comic book knowledge may be slightly inferior to people that have been doing this for 20 years, and seem to know ins and outs of the business.

3.) Not sure whether your collection is up to the same standards as someone who's got multiple HG SA and GA books.

4.) Afraid of being ridiculed by board members for being different, asking repetitive questions, or being refered to as a shill.

5.) Not knowing people on these boards. It's almost like walking in on a group of 20 strangers, and saying "hey guys, these are my thoughts and ideas, so listen to me".

6.) You're not a huge comic collector, but just like to see some interesting covers, or like some of the soap opera-like drame we have here.

7.) You don't want to join because you think that talking about comic books is childish (especially when we're posting graemlins), and that we're just overgrown kids wasting our lives on these boards.

8.) You're too shy about your writing skills, and are afraid that someone like Norrin would catch you on your spelling mistakes.

9.) You feel that knowledge comes from listening or reading other people's thoughts. You already know everything about yourself and don't feel the need to express your ideas on these boards.

10.) You don't feel like or it, don't have much to say, or are a private person.

I was a lurker for several months before joining these boards, and my reason was number 5. Therefore, I started posting in some less active threads first (in the SA and MA forums) before joining the General forum area. During the first couple of months, all I talked about was my Ebay experience.

I wanted to add number 11.

11.) You've been banned as a shill, and have no choice but to lurk on these boards.

However, I figured no one would admit this in fear of being banned again. laugh.gif

I don't post much because I can only read the boards at work. A 'work-lurker'.

I would like to post more, but it may be a day or two before I could respond to any correspondence, which can be frustrating to the person on the other end of the conversation.

I was a lurker for several months as well, and finally decided to join not too long ago. I still don't post all that much, but I really enjoy reading boards more than anything!

My reasons for lurking (in the past) instead of registering are a combination of the two below:

2.) Afraid that your comic book knowledge may be slightly inferior to people that have been doing this for 20 years, and seem to know ins and outs of the business.

3.) Not sure whether your collection is up to the same standards as someone who's got multiple HG SA and GA books.

I think #2 could be a major reason. I occasionally post on a BMW board, but I am not very mechanical. It can be intimidating at times, when the big boys start talking about adjustments made to their cars. And you want to post a question about which torque wrench to buy.

Bingo! Not enough time in the day. Anyone have any secrets? People must live here 24/7 judging by post totals.

Yet since you registered on December 23rd 2004 you made 11 posts between then and March 21 yet in past two days you have made 6 posts.

Obviously you have pleanty of time now to tell us you dont have time to post

Bingo! Not enough time in the day. Anyone have any secrets? People must live here 24/7 judging by post totals.

Im on here a lot, but if you look at my post count and the date i signed up, it probably averages out to like 3 posts a day. Not much if you consider some are graemlins and 1 word posts. I also post mainly in about 3 sections, watercooler, comics general, and Grading/Resto. Im in the marketplace a lot, just dont post there too often.

In response to #2 (i think) about not knowing enough, the only way you will ever learn is to jump in and ask. Got a question, post it, most members will give you a legit answer, some wont, but thats life in general.

the people here, of nothing else, care about the hobby and usually welcome newbies, esp. if they act like they have sense and behave themselves at first. Then they can turn into people like Greggy and graemlin all they want, after we learn who you are.

Zombie...

You can ponder comics all day if ya want. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

While driving, eating lunch, even while you work..

If you had the notion to post something you could. Easily

It only takes a few minutes to post something that might interest you, or others.

Pop back in every now and then to see what kind of reaction it got.

But to say you do not make any posts because you dont have the time is ludicrous. I am quite sure everyone here wastes an hour or so one way or another each day. Some of us prefer to banter here.. others might read, watch T.V. play sports.. whatever.... I work at home. This is my water cooler.. a place to hang out and talk about things that are of interest to me.

But for you to take a poke at people here who as you said....have no lives.. well that serves no purpose other then being non constructive. We are all here for similar reasons.. but some choose to take it to levels others might not. To each his own. I can understand why some might choose to not jump in the deep end with us loonies..they choose to not participate on that level.. that is cool.

So Zombie, go back to lurking if we are such a waste of your time. But for you to come on and say such a thing is well.. a waste of MY time.

Ze-

I was a lurker for several months as well, and finally decided to join not too long ago. I still don't post all that much, but I really enjoy reading boards more than anything!

My reasons for lurking (in the past) instead of registering are a combination of the two below:

EvilAsh, these are two reasons that I could only hope would NOT be reasons to NOT join the forum. Whether you are a newbie to comic books with no experience or knowledge and have only a few Modern books to your name or a veteran with a collection worth a couple hundred grand, we are all equals here, nobody is better or more worthy. Some may have more to teach than others, but everyone's opinion and interests are equal. Don't feel inferior to the veterans when regarding your collection or knowledge here. Sometimes I think it is great to hear from the fresh comic minds of newbies rather than the sometimes jaded old timers of the hobby.

" there are more lurkers viewing it than active board members."

The Who's Online function may be deceptive in that active board members can opt to be in "hidden" mode while on the boards.

Actually if a person has not logged in then they will be as an anonymous user. If they log in and are "invisible" they will appear not show up on the Who's Online, but they are added into the number of users online.

" there are more lurkers viewing it than active board members."

The Who's Online function may be deceptive in that active board members can opt to be in "hidden" mode while on the boards.

Actually if a person has not logged in then they will be as an anonymous user. If they log in and are "invisible" they will appear not show up on the Who's Online, but they are added into the number of users online.

Interesting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.

I've logged off in the past....only to forget my password. crazy.gif So from now on, I stay logged in.

Yet since you registered on December 23rd 2004 you made 11 posts between then and March 21 yet in past two days you have made 6 posts.

Obviously you have pleanty of time now to tell us you dont have time to post

Would you like me to lie? You're right, time is a commodity I have plenty of. I'm yanking your chain. Three posts a day for two days is tearing up these boards. Is there a proper way and time for new people posting here? How many posts is OK with you? confused-smiley-013.gif

EvilAsh, these are two reasons that I could only hope would NOT be reasons to NOT join the forum. Whether you are a newbie to comic books with no experience or knowledge and have only a few Modern books to your name or a veteran with a collection worth a couple hundred grand, we are all equals here, nobody is better or more worthy. Some may have more to teach than others, but everyone's opinion and interests are equal. Don't feel inferior to the veterans when regarding your collection or knowledge here. Sometimes I think it is great to hear from the fresh comic minds of newbies rather than the sometimes jaded old timers of the hobby.

Yeah, I know it was pretty silly to not join becasue of these reasons, that's why I finally decided to register thumbsup2.gif

I apprecaite the kind words and welcoming attitude!

Yeah, I know it was pretty silly to not join becasue of these reasons, that's why I finally decided to register thumbsup2.gif

I apprecaite the kind words and welcoming attitude!

Your Welcome ASH

Loved that movie!

Going to have to rent it again

Good points 'GMAN. Plus, when we sell off our collections to finance our retirement, the teenage collectors of today will snatch up all the HG vintage books as their careers take off.