• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
22 22

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,274 posts in this topic

yeah the #12..... :cloud9:

Definitely eerie #1

I was thinking about beware #10 as well, but wasn't sure if it was demand tough, or scarce. I guess either way, its a tough book to find.

Menace - Good Call! Even #1 was hard for me, I looked for years and was never able to get one.

i guess I can add that to my list of pch I regret selling. What an amazing cover, maneely's best IMHO, and the Matt Fox inside is a sweet bonus! You have a killer copy of that!

One of the few Big Apple books that don't suffer from brown/brittle pages like my BA Tormented # 1 copy has! :sorry:

Sometimes, you get lucky: Menace 5 = Aurora copy; Mystery Tales 8 = River City copy; Mystery Tales 19 = origin unknown.

MEN005-AU.jpg

MYTA008-RC.jpg

MYTA019.jpg

Beautiful books! Want...er...love that #19! :cloud9:

Beautiful books! Want...er...love that #19! :cloud9:

I agree. Seeing a large scan of # 19 is just ... wow ... that's a sweet cover! :applause:

I purchased the #12 and a #19 from Metro a couple of years back, both BA copies.

The books were on consignment and when I received them I only had and was charged for the #12.

I contacted Metro and was told the owner sold the #19 at a show and forgot to inform Metro to update their website! :pullhair:

The #19 looked as nice as my #12! :frustrated:

speaking of which , should we try to get a list together of 10 toughest pch's to find?

I had a nice little list written a few years back, but the books are so hard I can't even find that paper now! :insane:

Some of my choices:

TMIH # 3

Worlds of Fear # 2

Fantastic Fears # 5

Voodoo Annual

Beware # 10 (Frazetta)

A handfull of random Atlas like:

Amazing Detective # 13

Just to name a few.

I couldn't venture a HTF list of my own as I haven't looked for enough different PCH books over the years, but here are a couple of observations regarding the lists posted.

I was able to find low grade copies of both Amazing Detective #13 and Beware #11 (Fass self-porterait cover) pretty quickly on ebay when I decided to look for them, and I was outbid on a copy of each before winning one at less than low guide - so I'm not sure if they are all that scarce - at least if grade is not a criteria.

I was fortunate enough to find a G/VG copy of Amazing Mysteries #32 in a dealer catalog for guide a decade ago within months of putting it on my want list - but that may have been dumb luck.

I see the Voodoo Annual on ebay every once in a while - but it never goes cheap.

I've probably only acttively looked for a few dozen PCH books over the last 15 years (mostly classic cover stuff), and generally am not too picky about condition, and the reason I still have "holes" in my collection is due more to price than availability. Pre-internet some books seemed very hard to locate, but I can't think of a single PCH book I've wanted that I haven't had at least an opportunity to bid on or buy in the last few years, and I go for months at a time not actively searching. If one's minimal condition is at least 6.0 - then I imagine the list of HTF books increases dramatically.

it's all relative. A lot of the tougher books are books that don't have people searching for them I think. WHat I am interested in is the scale, you have Thing#16 on one end, this mag #3 on the other and most of the comics in the middle. I am curious about the tougher ones in relation to the others. There are several books that are generally never on dealer lists , and rarely on ebay. JUst wondering about everyone's experiences, including yours, so thanks!

I couldn't venture a HTF list of my own as I haven't looked for enough different PCH books over the years, but here are a couple of observations regarding the lists posted.

I was able to find low grade copies of both Amazing Detective #13 and Beware #11 (Fass self-porterait cover) pretty quickly on ebay when I decided to look for them, and I was outbid on a copy of each before winning one at less than low guide - so I'm not sure if they are all that scarce - at least if grade is not a criteria.

I was fortunate enough to find a G/VG copy of Amazing Mysteries #32 in a dealer catalog for guide a decade ago within months of putting it on my want list - but that may have been dumb luck.

I see the Voodoo Annual on ebay every once in a while - but it never goes cheap.

I've probably only acttively looked for a few dozen PCH books over the last 15 years (mostly classic cover stuff), and generally am not too picky about condition, and the reason I still have "holes" in my collection is due more to price than availability. Pre-internet some books seemed very hard to locate, but I can't think of a single PCH book I've wanted that I haven't had at least an opportunity to bid on or buy in the last few years, and I go for months at a time not actively searching. If one's minimal condition is at least 6.0 - then I imagine the list of HTF books increases dramatically.

I'm curious to know the answer also: when your refer to a book as HTF, are you talking about HTF in any grade or HTF in 6.0 and above?

Angelo

You know, I almost added some type of disclaimer to my post stating that, while I firmly believe that these books come around less seldom than others, that it does not mean that I think they are IMPOSSIBLE to find with the advent of the internet. Patience is the key. Like most anything else, you can have a complete pre-code horror collection with: time and money. In fact, even though I list them among the toughest, I own a copy each of WoF # 2 and Beware # 10. I've seen all the others for sale at one time or another, as well. Still, I am of the opinion that they are up less than other PCH for whatever reason. Good observations, I might ad RJPB.

BTW- Yet another copy of TORMENTED # 1 on eBay right now. Being hyped as the "rarest pre-code," while being the third one for sale in a couple weeks. hm

you have Thing#16 on one end, this mag #3 on the other and most of the comics in the middle.

With Thing #16 on one end, the rest of the PCH books (except probably most Harveys) would be alot closer to the TMIH #3 end of the spectrum I'm willing to bet.

What is the toughest of the OSPG "classic cover" PCH books?

Weird Mysteries #5 doesn't seem to show up that frequently.

Edited by rjpb

How about the only graded and highest graded copy on the census of a OPG noted classic cover? Suspense 14 for you.

Scott

yes......i wanted another reason to post it again. :cloud9:

It IS a nice looking book, but that one pops up fairly routine. There is one in an eBay store right now, and another which failed to sell at auction not too long ago. :foryou: