• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Just added to my spiderweb covers! :acclaim:

Witchcraft3a.jpg

Sweet! I've never seen that one before.

Memories. I bought mine back in the 90's at a Heroes Con that my cousin and I flew down to. The Con pretty much sucked for pch, but Michael Carbanaro had this on his wall. It was over priced, but he really pushed a hard sell, and it was one of only a couple pch books at the entire show, so I bought it. It was my first experience with MC, and something about him really kinda creeped me out. :eek:

One of the best AIT covers, IMO.... 2c

I love this cover alot too Keith. I am constantly scouring the various "big dealer" sites for a nice copy. No luck as of yet. Simply a great Atlas horror cover. Great minds think alike. :shy:

Great timing on that Out Of Shadows #8!

I just picked mine up off ebay a couple months back. It's seen better days and the cover is detached, but aside from that the cover holds a nice gloss with color and the pages are great. Best part is I only paid $46 for it.

This is a classic cover and the first book I had pointed out to me by a dealer many years ago as an example of "non-EC" Pre-Code horror. I remember saying, "You mean there were other horror comics other than EC?" I looked at the copy and asked him how much it was. He was told me it was around $300.

It definitely planted the seed because I've been having a blast discovering these other Pre-Code publishers!

83396.jpg.c048965a7c70891bee12ca470c9a7de6.jpg

Uncanny Tales #27

Picked this up a few weeks back on the boards. Really nice reader copy for a nice price!

Creepy PreCode houses..... :cloud9:

The story featuring the haunted house inside is very well done. The highlight of the book!

83652.jpg.c8e8e0722f2c8ef712a3ed2e26453479.jpg

Phantom Witchdoctor

I picked this up for a good price on ebay and got another low grade reader thrown in.

This is my second Avon One-Shot PreCode book and they are both great! The Kinstler art is top notch! Who would of thought he would end up going on to become one of the most in demand portrait painters in the USA? He has even painted a few presidents. Of course these early works have an energy all their own that doesn't exist in his formal work! For those who do not know, Kinstler apprenticed under James Montgomary Flagg, the illustrator of the "I Want You! " poster for the US Army. Kinstler's pen and ink style took direct inspiration from Flagg who drew inspiration from Charles Dana Gibson.

83653.jpg.a109c3bf7330cb5ffc82c7278d1940d2.jpg

Tomb Of Terror #7

This book has been to the bottom Hades and back again. A definite beater, I still consider this a great copy because I got a great deal on it. For these average, nothing too spectacular covers, I don't mind beaters. I actually think that the cover dettachment and the small tears and chips give it character. I can still read the original stories and have some money left over to put into another book.

This copy even served itself up as a meal to some bugs or maybe a rat at one time. Check out the top right corner...... :sick::cloud9:

83654.jpg.078643f59db5aeaebba83f556ff58ba6.jpg

Edited by Darth Corgi

Beware #7

I'm catching up on some of these books and getting near the end of my PreCode starter collection. This one is special as it was a Father's Day gift from my wife, and 2 year old twins!!

A big ugly monster on the cover is what they knew I'd love about it. Have they got my number or what?!

83731.jpg.de304b67f5988b25e6e280e214ff83b6.jpg

Chamber Of Chills #23

I consider this to be one of the best PreCode covers! A total classic and at the very least, in the top 3 or 4 of Harvey covers. I think there is an exceptional story on the inside too. I'm looking forward to cracking it out and reading it.

Since this is one of my favorite covers, I waited awhile and searched for the perfect copy..... Something nice in the higher end of midgrade.

I picked up this book from fellow boardie, 1stkeys! (thumbs u

83732.jpg.384b815da834fd6d546638054cba6055.jpg

Great book! I've given that book the nickname "Zombie Kiss" cover for obvious reasons and the story Heartline is indeed pretty good.

You've been picking up some great books Darth, really like that Beware too! (thumbs u

Been off the boards for a bit since I got married and was on my honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. This was my last purchase just before that all happened...

We've all seen this cover before but this issue sports some nice interior art too. When I get a chance I'll take a few pics!

chamofchills19.jpg