• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Definitely the first pre-code horror continuing title. And a very cool cover. (thumbs u

98436.jpg

Cartoonist's Calamity by Everett is my favorite 50s story by him! :cloud9:

:gossip: The cover's not too shabby either.

Venus17VG.jpg

Artboy, collecting the classics I see... hm

Terror-iffic selection of pick-ups! (worship)

:cloud9:

As I continue to browse all the wonderful threads of books in the golden age section of the boards my want list continues to grow.

Just posted these in the "Favorite Covers" thread, but thought they might enjoy lurking in this thread, too. Please excuse the two post code covers - hopefully they match some pre-code work for creepy effect.

102903.jpg.e9cc344fcf92c986b97fc75f8c0b25f8.jpg

102904.jpg.c90247a32b99a48f51d1b527869c7c87.jpg

102905.jpg.44c0c9539ecf571d54014225ed18630b.jpg

102906.jpg.5013a2171bdf34c91d2e1e001a59af2d.jpg

102907.jpg.843e9bb644c2b94349b7a4e83cfacaba.jpg

What the hellwhistle has happened to Mystery Tales? I decided to track down a couple covers I really like, and what I found is, they are gone. No dealer online has any for sale, so I check ebay, all the completed auctions for any pre code issue of mystery tales defy logic, all selling for 3x to 8x what they used to, while most other Atlas horror comics stay the same. I thought well, maybe that post code issue that was used in "Lost" spawned this for some weird reason, but the post code issues are not selling for the prices the pre code are. I just don't get it. When in the last year or two did this become THE hot Pre code title? Any insight? (shrug)

Here's another important book which many of you know is widely considered the first horror comic which became a series. Published approx. 2 years after Avon's Eerie #1 one-shot, Adventures Into The Unknown eventually settled into stories that were pretty tame and boring compared to some of their competitor publishers like Gilmour, EC or Comic Media. That said, there are some gems in there and I think this is one of them. Lots of slick artwork and stories inside.

-There isn't anything particularly horrific going on with the cover here. I think the appeal lies in the anticipation and restraint. I applaud this artistic approach. :applause:

-Solid drawing and great choice of colors!

-Being a father of twins, the bats on the cover are a nice touch! ;)

-This is my first book from the Northford pedigree. :headbang: I read that many of these books have a cool "X" stamp on the back cover which I included a scan of.

Awesome book in incredible shape! The atmosphere on this cover is amazing. I would love to have one. Congrats on such a killer copy.

I have been picking up ACG lately, I really like them now for some reason. I am waiting on a #3 in the mail with the Feldstein story & can't wait to finally read that.

What the hellwhistle has happened to Mystery Tales? I decided to track down a couple covers I really like, and what I found is, they are gone. No dealer online has any for sale, so I check ebay, all the completed auctions for any pre code issue of mystery tales defy logic, all selling for 3x to 8x what they used to, while most other Atlas horror comics stay the same. I thought well, maybe that post code issue that was used in "Lost" spawned this for some weird reason, but the post code issues are not selling for the prices the pre code are. I just don't get it. When in the last year or two did this become THE hot Pre code title? Any insight? (shrug)

Wow, I hadn't noticed, haven't looked for any copies recently. It looks to be mostly 2-3 guys driving the bids up on those recent ebay auctions, the same bidder won most of those. I'd hope after they complete their runs prices will return to normal.

me too. I just talked to another dealer, and he said someone bought his entire stock of mystery tales in Chicago. weird.

Great colorform aliem avatar BTW.

I like Mystery Tales, but no more so than any other Atlas title. Not sure why there would suddenly be the demand that you describe.

me too. I just talked to another dealer, and he said someone bought his entire stock of mystery tales in Chicago. weird.

I like Mystery Tales, but no more so than any other Atlas title. Not sure why there would suddenly be the demand that you describe.

It's a bit like Menace used to be. They were always said to be scarce, and in demand because they tended to have a high concentration of great artwork by Everett, Heath and Maneely. I do note that the first 10 issues or so of Mystery tales seem to have nice covers, especially the Everett ones, and maybe they have proven to be somewhat scarce in higher grade - when I was collecting Altas some years back they always seemed to be harder to find than most other titles. And of course, you get a kind of inflation of demand when a couple of guys are desperate to get the only available higher grade copies. But I must admit even taking all of this into considereation some of the recent prices have shocked me. If it brings out other copies prices and demand will inevitably fall. And if more Atlas masterworkss are pending that will also have a bearing!

But you probably know far more about this than I, Alan!

Several months ago, I noticed that Metro's entire line of Mystery Tales back issues (which were primarily low- to mid-grade) suddenly vanished. If someone is trying to corner the market on this particular title (which has never been more collectible than any other Atlas horror/fantasy title), they're certainly not sensitive to grade.

And while we're on the subject, has anyone ever seen a copy of Mystic 33 that does not have the "wet ink" production blemish shown below? The flaw seems to be prevalent on a variety of Atlas issues that have Harry Anderson covers.

Mystic33.jpg

It's a bit like Menace used to be. They were always said to be scarce, and in demand because they tended to have a high concentration of great artwork by Everett, Heath and Maneely. I do note that the first 10 issues or so of Mystery tales seem to have nice covers, especially the Everett ones, and maybe they have proven to be somewhat scarce in higher grade - when I was collecting Altas some years back they always seemed to be harder to find than most other titles. And of course, you get a kind of inflation of demand when a couple of guys are desperate to get the only available higher grade copies. But I must admit even taking all of this into considereation some of the recent prices have shocked me. If it brings out other copies prices and demand will inevitably fall. And if more Atlas masterworkss are pending that will also have a bearing!

But you probably know far more about this than I, Alan!

I think that both of you (Michael and Alan) know more than I do...so I will ask your opinion. I have no intention of ever parting with this book which is why I feel comfortable asking. What do you think a value on this book would be? One of the best Atlas horror covers....highest graded in the census....heck, only one in the census. What do you think?

MysteryTales19.85.1.jpg

I cant pretend to be an expert here but if it were mine and I wanted to sell it I'v be very disappointed if it went for under $300, and I'd be looking for it to hit $500. Above that might happen if the heavy hitters get stuck in - there is no copy in the census.

But Alan might have a better insight.

That's an outstanding cover by Anderson -- what a marvelous view of the skyscrapers. I really can't help with information on the prevalence of the production blemish.

Several months ago, I noticed that Metro's entire line of Mystery Tales back issues (which were primarily low- to mid-grade) suddenly vanished. If someone is trying to corner the market on this particular title (which has never been more collectible than any other Atlas horror/fantasy title), they're certainly not sensitive to grade.

And while we're on the subject, has anyone ever seen a copy of Mystic 33 that does not have the "wet ink" production blemish shown below? The flaw seems to be prevalent on a variety of Atlas issues that have Harry Anderson covers.

Mystic33.jpg

I cant pretend to be an expert here but if it were mine and I wanted to sell it I'v be very disappointed if it went for under $300, and I'd be looking for it to hit $500. Above that might happen if the heavy hitters get stuck in - there is no copy in the census.

But Alan might have a better insight.

I think it's a wonderful book! :luhv: