• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

me too. I just talked to another dealer, and he said someone bought his entire stock of mystery tales in Chicago. weird.

Great colorform aliem avatar BTW.

I like Mystery Tales, but no more so than any other Atlas title. Not sure why there would suddenly be the demand that you describe.

It's a bit like Menace used to be. They were always said to be scarce, and in demand because they tended to have a high concentration of great artwork by Everett, Heath and Maneely. I do note that the first 10 issues or so of Mystery tales seem to have nice covers, especially the Everett ones, and maybe they have proven to be somewhat scarce in higher grade - when I was collecting Altas some years back they always seemed to be harder to find than most other titles. And of course, you get a kind of inflation of demand when a couple of guys are desperate to get the only available higher grade copies. But I must admit even taking all of this into considereation some of the recent prices have shocked me. If it brings out other copies prices and demand will inevitably fall. And if more Atlas masterworkss are pending that will also have a bearing!

But you probably know far more about this than I, Alan!

Did someome mention "Menace" Menace2.jpg

me too. I just talked to another dealer, and he said someone bought his entire stock of mystery tales in Chicago. weird.

Great colorform aliem avatar BTW.

I like Mystery Tales, but no more so than any other Atlas title. Not sure why there would suddenly be the demand that you describe.

It's a bit like Menace used to be. They were always said to be scarce, and in demand because they tended to have a high concentration of great artwork by Everett, Heath and Maneely. I do note that the first 10 issues or so of Mystery tales seem to have nice covers, especially the Everett ones, and maybe they have proven to be somewhat scarce in higher grade - when I was collecting Altas some years back they always seemed to be harder to find than most other titles. And of course, you get a kind of inflation of demand when a couple of guys are desperate to get the only available higher grade copies. But I must admit even taking all of this into considereation some of the recent prices have shocked me. If it brings out other copies prices and demand will inevitably fall. And if more Atlas masterworkss are pending that will also have a bearing!

But you probably know far more about this than I, Alan!

I think that both of you (Michael and Alan) know more than I do...so I will ask your opinion. I have no intention of ever parting with this book which is why I feel comfortable asking. What do you think a value on this book would be? One of the best Atlas horror covers....highest graded in the census....heck, only one in the census. What do you think?

MysteryTales19.85.1.jpg

both f those covers prove how good & under rated Harry Anderson is. And to think he went on to religious work after comics! I think that mystery tales has the potential to hit $700 personally.

Nice book, Scott.

One of my favorite memories is of our traditional mid-summer outing to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Back in the late 1950s, it had second-to-none penny and pinball arcades. Here's to the end of another summer!

Mystery24.jpg

I think my favorite day to get a book in the mail is on Friday. It's a great way to kick off the weekend.

Today a PreCode grail of mine arrived. I haven't been in a rush to get this book because I wanted a copy that was perfect for me, with flaws in the right places. Thanks to fellow boardie Cris who helped make it happen!

I love Black Cat 50, Weird Mysteries 5, Venus 19, and all the other shock rags, but something about TOT 15 is just so friggin over the top. I think its because of the action taking place, and all the red in the logo...it looks animated. Well, whatever the reason, I put this one up there with the best of them.....

103702.jpg.09ba6e7ec09d6827fb1e805cc167c539.jpg

Ol' Space Ranger (aka Rick Starr) posted some nice Avons a few pages back. The Hollingsworth cover on Eerie 10 reminded me of this Avon Fantasy Reader from 1947. Editor Donald A Wollheim was a key figure in SFantasy for decades and his reprinting of classic earlier work inspired collectors to delve back to the originals... As for the cov- even this version might be by way of 'borrifying' (ie: swiping). It IS a fun one...

img205.jpg

i borrified below from GCD to make comparison easy...

eerie10.jpg

Thanks Matt, for posting that twisted conclusion! Also love the 100+ ec collection -- what an amazing group of books to get all at once! Reminds me of when I completed my run of Crypt, there were about 10 issues I got at once that had been from an original collection, all decent fines, nothing too high-grade.

The covers on the last three pages or so have been a treat -- still haven't got an Adventures into the Unknown #1 yet, nor a Venus #19, but still looking!

Matthew, no idea what's up with Mystery Tales either -- but it will probably self-correct. I also remember when Menace was extra-hot, I think Voodoo was at one time too -- but no sooner did you post that, then someone (unknown to me) paid $500+ for a not-too-tough, midgrade at best, copy of Menace #8 on ebay a few weeks ago. Not that I'd tell anyone how to spend their money -- but excitedly overbidding when the same book is available for much less elsewhere is not something I'd recommend. :-)

Looking forward to more precode goodness!

Great books everyone! That box of ECs is sure a sight to behold! I think Graham Ingels might be my favorite comic artist...at least definitely in the top 3.

Matthew, you sure are on a buying spree or are these books just oldies from your crypt?

I still haven't gotten a Horror Of The Tomb yet. Looks like a good read! Thanks for posting.