• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Thanks Matt, for posting that twisted conclusion! Also love the 100+ ec collection -- what an amazing group of books to get all at once! Reminds me of when I completed my run of Crypt, there were about 10 issues I got at once that had been from an original collection, all decent fines, nothing too high-grade.

The covers on the last three pages or so have been a treat -- still haven't got an Adventures into the Unknown #1 yet, nor a Venus #19, but still looking!

Matthew, no idea what's up with Mystery Tales either -- but it will probably self-correct. I also remember when Menace was extra-hot, I think Voodoo was at one time too -- but no sooner did you post that, then someone (unknown to me) paid $500+ for a not-too-tough, midgrade at best, copy of Menace #8 on ebay a few weeks ago. Not that I'd tell anyone how to spend their money -- but excitedly overbidding when the same book is available for much less elsewhere is not something I'd recommend. :-)

Looking forward to more precode goodness!

I have never had Advs Unk #1 or Venus #19 either. Some day though, they are both on my list. Prices have generally been great for buyers lately except for the weird upticks like Mystery Tales & the Menace you mention. That Menace sale was crazy. It will correct in time, I agree with you.

This is one of the stranger covers in my collection, but I like it. I let a nice copy from Metropolis slip through my fingers - took a couple days to think over a purchase and missed out. After a couple years, I broke down and overpaid for a copy at Terry's con. Then I picked up a second copy at a better price hoping for an upgrade, but alas it was about the same. Finally, this guy came up and I can stop looking.

Dark-Mysteries-7-cgc.jpg

The other two bad boys (The second one is lighter because I suck at scanning)

th_Dark-Mysteries-7.jpg th_Dark-Mysteries-7-G.jpg

Agreed on that Weird Mysteries #5, a really strong price! It seems that the uber-tough/most desireable key horror covers are getting the strongest bids of late, but then, there are also oddball results, such as the too-expensive Menace #8 -- happened to be sold by the same seller, interestingly enough. They also got a very strong price for a CGC Mister Mystery #11 a few weeks back. They know what they're doing enough, to have gotten those key books slabbed.

Anyway, whenever I see the latest results for a decent shape Weird Mysteries #5, I can't help but think of one that got away in 1998 on eBay -- it hadn't been around that long and I was quite new to it. I remember checking Ed Jaster's completed auctions, and he had a beautiful WM#5 that looked to be VF at the worst -- went for $250. Anyone got a time machine??? :-) Used to have a really nice Fight Against Crime #20 too, and made a foolish trade for some other random books. Oh well!

I'll probably get a WM #5 or a Venus#19 or a Black Cat Mystery #50 if the timing and money happen to cross at the right time in the future -- but happily, there's a lot of other great precode to chase after in the meantime. PokerKid, love your Dark Mysteries #7! A great cover, and I had a tough time finding a decent shape copy of mine as well.

This is one of the stranger covers in my collection, but I like it. I let a nice copy from Metropolis slip through my fingers - took a couple days to think over a purchase and missed out. After a couple years, I broke down and overpaid for a copy at Terry's con. Then I picked up a second copy at a better price hoping for an upgrade, but alas it was about the same. Finally, this guy came up and I can stop looking.

It makes sense that you got this comic and your name is PokerKid.

Tell me about it!

It was at $600 for awhile and I thought I'd have a shot at it. :sorry: Oh well, the hunt goes on!

$2,225.. must of been the white pages which gave it the premium.

I didint track this one but it sounds to me a bit like two people going at it blindfold in a cellar. One puts a covering bid of X thousand dollars thinking no-one is going to really test them out. The other doesnt really want to pay over $2000 but thinks they will make sure of it by doing so. Both are probably as shocked by the outcome as we are.

This used to happen a lot with Baker romance but no longer. VG issues would sell for $800 or more. The first time it happened, someone who couldnt be around at the end of the auctions (there were about 10 scarce Bakers listed) had put huge covering bids on them all. Other hungry collectors then began to bid....and bid...and bid. Everyone was getting so frustrated they had actually stopped caring what they were bidding. I then got an email from the first bidder telling me that there was no point bidding as his covering bids were so astronomical no-one would reach them! All of this happened about 5 years ago.

More recently I've found that 50's horror is pretty much the only remaining area where prices remain consistently strong on ebay - especially for anything above fine.