• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Here's the story Guest of the Ghouls with art by Sid Check. It really looks like this story most matches the Frazetta/Check cover to Beware #10. The ghouls look so similar. Enjoy!

Thanks for posting that great Sid Check story! He has always been underrated, but his stories always stand out in the books where they appear.

and to celebrate, enjoy The October Game.

That is one grim story. Kamen's art adds incredible impact to Bradbury's plot. Yeesh!

Yes, and the point that they don't show any of the gore/dismemberment goes a long way to help feed the reader's imagination. The only hints you get are from the narrator: "The witch is dead, and this is her head!" :eek:

A recent board pick-up from our own alecholland.

Just a stunning copy with some cool stories including one with mummies and flesh-eating ants!

I love the way the colors swirl through the logo as if it were translucent. I believe this is the only cover in the run to do this.

Quickly becoming my new fav book! :cloud9:

ChamberOfChills15CGC80CrackedOut.jpg

Some new pickups. Very happy with all of them, especially the WTotF 3 and Weird Mysteries 5 (thanks Andy!).

That bottom tier is to die for :cloud9: but I believe that Mystic is a great underrated (ripping off face) cover! (thumbs u

Some new pickups. Very happy with all of them, especially the WTotF 3 and Weird Mysteries 5 (thanks Andy!).

grouphorror.jpg

Wow! They're all beautiful, but you rarely see the 3-D Crypt in such nice shape.

This is one I've been meaning to post for awhile. One of my all time favorites! Sorry about the scanner glare...

WAC1185front.jpg

Where did you find this gold? That's so sweet... cue drool icon.

This is one I've been meaning to post for awhile. One of my all time favorites! Sorry about the scanner glare...

WAC1185front.jpg

Where did you find this gold? That's so sweet... cue drool icon.

Bought it raw on ebay actually... it was a BIN when Bing was still doing cash back, which made it very reasonably priced. Shockingly enough it was graded spot-on by the seller :o

A recent board pick-up from our own alecholland.

Just a stunning copy with some cool stories including one with mummies and flesh-eating ants!

I love the way the colors swirl through the logo as if it were translucent. I believe this is the only cover in the run to do this.

Quickly becoming my new fav book! :cloud9:

ChamberOfChills15CGC80CrackedOut.jpg

What a cover! Definitely goes on the wantlist!!

So many good books being posted lately (especially October's wicked six!) Must be the season or the fact that these books still really hold up well after 50+ years. I think there is something to be said for having no filter on the writers and artists. I understand the more artistic approach that the Comics Code forces upon creators and the ways to get around censorship, but to me, there's just something special about their wild approach to the horror subject. Even the Creepy and Eerie magazines (which I think are amazing) seem to lack something compared to their 1950's ancestors. I also like the draftsmanship back then....I think it was more common to find illustrators with a better grasp on basic drawing skills all around... (shrug) Who knows? I could just be a fan of this time period and the birth of horror stories in comics.

I just got my copy of four color fear and love it, its a perfect book on the subject, I hope they do many more!

Mine arrived a week ago and it's definitely the best introduction to pre-code horror. The story selection was quite good though I would have had fewer repeats of some of the artists to allow for a little more variety. I can't fault Sadowski too much as he did include a Lou Cameron and finished with one of the best, "Evil Intruder."

I have enjoyed it so far, though I prefer the stories that are over the top weird, like the Wolverton stuff. EC did twist/ironic endings better than anyone else, so those types of stories that are included in the book fall a little flat.