• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Another recent pick-up, another Avon one-shot with a creepy skeletal Sir Tophamm Hatt by Hollingsworth.

NightOfMystery1.jpg

While the contents were fair to good storywise I have a question regarding the 5th story "The Giant From Earth!". The artwork is unsigned but does this look like Alex Toth's work to anyone?

The large face in the first panal has that "Jonny Peril" look to it. I'm not sure.

NOMGiantpg.jpg

It looks Toth-ish but is not drawn by Toth. The Toth/Barry style was imitated by many in the early 50s.

Many of the artists working for Standard like Saaf and Sekowsky also imitated Toth. Identification there is not as easy as Toth drew for Standard. I don't believe he drew anything for Avon.

I can't differentiate Saaf for Toth, that's for sure. A lot of the Joe Yank work is Saaf doing his best Toth, including Toth body movement / placement and some other Toth-ism like the burst when someone gets hit, ... that makes it even more challenging.

I can't differentiate Saaf for Toth, that's for sure. A lot of the Joe Yank work is Saaf doing his best Toth, including Toth body movement / placement and some other Toth-ism like the burst when someone gets hit, ... that makes it even more challenging.

Saaf and especially Sekowsky were good artists, better than the person responsible for the Avon story above, and I will admit to taking more time when verifying Toth vs either of them. At this point I'm pretty familiar with the Standard output and have notes from Vadebonceur regarding which isssues/stories Toth worked on.

Thanks for the replies guys!

The GCD had that story uncredited and since I knew Toth did work for Standard I thought this might be his work also.

Didn't know Toth was imitated as much and can now add the terms Toth-ish and Toth-ism to my comicspeak vocabulary! :D

Interesting seeing Wood do a scene more typically handled by Jack Davis. :applause:

Got two Crypts in the mail. Lower grade than I would prefer, but the price was right and I'm glad to add to my set.

Crypt26small.jpgCrypt27small.jpg

Saaf and especially Sekowsky were good artists, better than the person responsible for the Avon story above, and I will admit to taking more time when verifying Toth vs either of them. At this point I'm pretty familiar with the Standard output and have notes from Vadebonceur regarding which isssues/stories Toth worked on.

I first thought Sekowsky when I saw that splash, Adam. No way?

I first thought Sekowsky when I saw that splash, Adam. No way?

There's a resemblance to Sekowsky's art in the figure lying down in the top panel but the rest of the page seems too clumsy for Sekowsky, unless he dashed it off and it was poorly inked. I looked at some work he did for Standard a year or two later and I was reminded how good he was, not just with the art within a panel but in his superb sense of the sequence of images to tell a story.

NOMGiantpg.jpg

I agree with AS here. The face of the guy on the second panel does not look quite like Sekowsky nor, especially, do the folds in the guy's green robe. Sekowsky's folds are more angular than that from what I've seen him do in Atlas romance stories of the period.

I finally have something to bump up my favorite thread with! I didn't want to make a new thread, but wanted my fellow horror fans to see this!

I just got this ink on Friday... Al Feldstein's cover from Tales from the Crypt #24. I went to Halo Tattoo in Syracuse NY, a 5+ hour drive, because I'd seen the artists work and was impressed... and wanted this done right. I'm extremely pleased!

feldsteinmain.jpg

feldsteinsign.jpg

The quicksand sign is behind the victim, rather than behind the zombie, as on the cover. Whatever... it fit better here! The main image is on the underside of my arm.

We used the coloring from the Russ Cochran reprint book... I liked it better. More vivid.

We also managed to work around a mosquito bite!

That's definitely a level of commitment to comic collecting that I don't have! lol

They did a superb job based on your photographs.

I finally have something to bump up my favorite thread with! I didn't want to make a new thread, but wanted my fellow horror fans to see this!

I just got this ink on Friday... Al Feldstein's cover from Tales from the Crypt #24. I went to Halo Tattoo in Syracuse NY,

a 5+ hour drive, because I'd seen the artists work and was impressed...

and wanted this done right. I'm extremely pleased!

feldsteinmain.jpg

feldsteinsign.jpg

The quicksand sign is behind the victim, rather than behind the zombie, as on the cover. Whatever... it fit better here! The main image is on the underside of my arm.

We used the coloring from the Russ Cochran reprint book... I liked it better. More vivid.

Terrific tattoo. I have been trying to convince a friend to switch from drawing on flesh to drawing comics on paper. Perhaps this is a good intermediate step, comics on flesh.

I just got this ink on Friday... Al Feldstein's cover from Tales from the Crypt #24. I went to Halo Tattoo in Syracuse NY, a 5+ hour drive, because I'd seen the artists work and was impressed... and wanted this done right. I'm extremely pleased!

Wow, nobody can accuse you of not being a die-hard EC fan. Are you going to get a Crime SuspenStories #22 tattoo anytime in the near future?

Too bad you didn't select a "headlights" cover.

Wow, nobody can accuse you of not being a die-hard EC fan. Are you going to get a Crime SuspenStories #22 tattoo anytime in the near future?

Too bad you didn't select a "headlights" cover.

Hmmm... some Craig might look good on my other... Wait! No!!

You made me spit up diet coke with the headlights comment! Too funny!! Feldstein sure knew how to draw those too!

Thanks for the comments! I'm very happy with it!