• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should board members start an eBay secret code for our benefit?

57 posts in this topic

I think it would be beneficial for eBay sellers who are board members to create a secret code. This would allow interested boardies to recognize the seller is on the forum and could be contacted. The seller would save eBay fees and board members might feel a little more secure in purchasing from a board member. What do you guys think?

I think it would be beneficial for eBay sellers who are board members to create a secret code. This would allow interested boardies to recognize the seller is on the forum and could be contacted. The seller would save eBay fees and board members might feel a little more secure in purchasing from a board member. What do you guys think?

If a seller wants to save on eBay fees then he should list the items for sale here on the Boards. There's no fees for selling here and he'll be instantly recognized as a board member.

If a seller is using eBay to attract attention to his items - even if it's another Board member - then eBay should get their cut.

If a seller wants to save on eBay fees then he should list the items for sale here on the Boards. There's no fees for selling here and he'll be instantly recognized as a board member.

If a seller is using eBay to attract attention to his items - even if it's another Board member - then eBay should get their cut.

well put

I can almost see your point but even if the book is offered here first and doesn't sell off to eBay it goes. A boardie might discover this book after the fact of the initial offer to the boards. Besides, I'm not going to mourn for eBay if they lose out on a fee though for any reason.

I can almost see your point but even if the book is offered here first and doesn't sell off to eBay it goes. A boardie might discover this book after the fact of the initial offer to the boards.

That's what the Sales Announcements sub-forum is for.

Besides, I'm not going to mourn for eBay if they lose out on a fee though for any reason.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. To me, if someone feels that strongly about eBay collecting fees then the appropriate way to address it is to not use eBay's service.

I can almost see your point but even if the book is offered here first and doesn't sell off to eBay it goes. A boardie might discover this book after the fact of the initial offer to the boards.

Besides, I'm not going to mourn for eBay if they lose out on a fee though for any reason.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. To me, if someone feels that strongly about eBay collecting fees then the appropriate way to address it is to not use eBay's service.

Doesn't Ebay allows simultaneous listing in other venues? Lots of the big dealers like Greg Reece, MCS etc have the book listed on ebay and available through their site. I would be surprised if those dealers give any cut of books sold through their own site to ebay.

Doesn't Ebay allows simultaneous listing in other venues? Lots of the big dealers like Greg Reece, MCS etc have the book listed on ebay and available through their site. I would be surprised if those dealers give any cut of books sold through their own site to ebay.

They sure do and I would bet lefty that they don't pay a red cent to eBay. I have found people I know and worked off site deals and all parties were happy.

Yes, but eBay does not allow these big dealers to advertise their web site or post links to their web site in their listing. Now how these dealers figure out whether someone found a book directly on their site or saw it first on eBay and then did a Google search to find their site, I don't know, that's for them to sort out.

But that's not what we're talking about.

The op mentioned "board members". Most of the board members are not "big dealers" with web sites.

The scenario he presented is a board member who has something listed on eBay, who most likely doesn't have a web site (because if he did, the whole "selling off eBay" would be a moot point), and may or may not have utilized the Board Marketplace.

I can almost see your point but even if the book is offered here first and doesn't sell off to eBay it goes. A boardie might discover this book after the fact of the initial offer to the boards. Besides, I'm not going to mourn for eBay if they lose out on a fee though for any reason.

Most members who list a book here in the Marketplace do so at a reduced price in acknowledgement of the fact the selling here is fee-free.

Usually, when they move the book to eBay they increase the price to cover the cost of the eBay fees they will have to pay.

So I'm wondering: is this "member code" idea supposed to be a way to work the "Board discount" angle on items that are not for sale on the Boards?

I considered bypassing the (much preferred) board and going directly to ebay my next box of comics I'm selling.

The main reason is that much of what I'm selling is commons in mid-grades, although probably at least quarter of my stuff would be of interest here.

If next round I include some BINs, I contemplated adding a reference to 'boardies' as a sorta code since I'd generally pass the 10% savings to buyer. But I also contemplated coming here first and just dealing with the lack of interest, or cherry picking that might reduce my 'click-bait' when the rest goes off to ebay. But the extra admin is kind of dissuading, uploading twice, potential for pricing errors, etc. Weighed against (certainly) owing some books back to the board community for all I've bought, and the satisfaction of avoidimg hated ebay.

One ebay listing I had triggered a $40 offer (listed at $45). The member was here with recognizable name, so I sent PM (w/link to my sales thread) to say that a week earlier I'd already offered it here at $42 including shipping which he must have missed, so I'd agree if he wanted to complete as a board sale. Never heard back, so maybe he thought me disreputable for the offer? Ended up selling on ebay for I think 50 after I hiked the price.

My last handful of larger books (which for me is just 200-600) I just brought directly here, and sold two of the four. So I guess that 50/50 summarizes my thoughts on what to do next.

Most members who list a book here in the Marketplace do so at a reduced price in acknowledgement of the fact the selling here is fee-free.

Usually, when they move the book to eBay they increase the price to cover the cost of the eBay fees they will have to pay.

So I'm wondering: is this "member code" idea supposed to be a way to work the "Board discount" angle on items that are not for sale on the Boards?

If you only want to see it for only getting a discount that's cool. I see it more of a privilege and benefit of being a board member. EBay give you a percentage of fees or something?

If this doesn't sell here I'm moving it to the boards

I considered bypassing the (much preferred) board and going directly to ebay my next box of comics I'm selling.

The main reason is that much of what I'm selling is commons in mid-grades, although probably at least quarter of my stuff would be of interest here.

If next round I include some BINs, I contemplated adding a reference to 'boardies' as a sorta code since I'd generally pass the 10% savings to buyer. But I also contemplated coming here first and just dealing with the lack of interest, or cherry picking that might reduce my 'click-bait' when the rest goes off to ebay. But the extra admin is kind of dissuading, uploading twice, potential for pricing errors, etc. Weighed against (certainly) owing some books back to the board community for all I've bought, and the satisfaction of avoidimg hated ebay.

One ebay listing I had triggered a $40 offer (listed at $45). The member was here with recognizable name, so I sent PM (w/link to my sales thread) to say that a week earlier I'd already offered it here at $42 including shipping which he must have missed, so I'd agree if he wanted to complete as a board sale. Never heard back, so maybe he thought me disreputable for the offer? Ended up selling on ebay for I think 50 after I hiked the price.

My last handful of larger books (which for me is just 200-600) I just brought directly here, and sold two of the four. So I guess that 50/50 summarizes my thoughts on what to do next.

I can see your point. Your every day commons wouldn't benefit much of anyone in small amounts, just in larger bulk purchases. Was kind of you to pm the board members though. Even at 50 you could have saved the buyer $8 and yourself $5. Adds up over a year I would imagine.

All dealers jack up their eBay listings by 15% or more to deal with eBay's fees. Early bird gets the worm....most people try it here first...and if you happen not to visit that day, then you miss out and it goes to eBay or other 3rd party sites. That's how I used to do it anyway.

If you only want to see it for only getting a discount that's cool. I see it more of a privilege and benefit of being a board member.

A "privilage and a benefit" that just happens to translate into a discount for the buyer. And really has nothing to do with the Boards since it's a different selling venue.

At the risk of being labeled an ingrate, perhaps it would help if I explained my thinking on the concept of the "Board Discount".

If I understand correctly, the prevailing line of reasoning for seller's offering a Board discount price on the books they sell here is because the selling is fee-free; it's a way for the seller to acknowledge that benefit.

However, this raises the questions:

1) Why is the buyer entitled to the entire 10% (assuming that's approx. what the seller is saving)?

2) Usually, many buyers here aren't going to be satisfied with just 10% off the eBay price, they want more.

3) If the seller passes on the entire 10% (or more) savings to the buyer, his net on the book is the same (or less) as selling it for the eBay price less fees. So what then is the "benefit" to the seller?

4) What exactly did the buyer do to deserve the 10% discount other than sign up for Board membership for free?

In short, the argument that sellers should sell at a discount to acknowledge the benefits of selling on the Boards seems to treat the benefits of Board commerce as a one-way street.

But don't the buyer's enjoy benefits of buying here?

1) Most sellers list here first before other venues, so buyers here get first crack at books before anyone else.

2) Some sellers sell exclusively on the Boards, so buyers get access to books that no one else on eBay does.

3) While some sales threads here are highly competitive, there are far less members here than on eBay, so buyers enjoy less competition when books are put up for sale.

Aren't those benefits worth something? And all that benefit before you even start talking about a discounted price.

So I see the benefit of commerce on the Boards as a two-way street.

And again, what exactly did members do to deserve that discount price? There are a few members here who did the heavy lifting in creating the Marketplace; I could see them reasonably making the argument that they "deserve" a Board discount - though I don't think any would.

But most here didn't have anything to do with making fee-free selling possible here; they simply signed up for free membership. So, to me, members expecting a discount as a "privilege" of being a member strikes me as a bit entitled.

But.....since the consensus of the community here is that sellers should show some acknowledgement of the fee-free selling environment - even if it's a nominal amount - I try and respect that as much as I can when I do list items here for sale.

Since that's my view of the "Board discount" selling here on the Boards, I don't see how a buyer can reasonably make the argument for an item that's for sale off the Boards.

If somebody want's to make an offer on an item - whether here or on eBay - I think there's more substantive ways to argue for the discount than simply saying "I'm a Board member".

EBay give you a percentage of fees or something?

No. I signed an electronic contract stating that I would pay eBay's fees for using their service so that's what I do. But that's me. You do you.

That comment, however, makes it clear to me that one of the underlying premises for this "member code" is the 'you shouldn't have to pay eBay's fees'- argument. And, frankly, that's been beat to death so I'll bow out now.

Number 6 raises good points about the discount. On the one hand I'll often offer a non-boardie ebay seller the option to make a 5% profit over an ebay listing by splitting the 10% on a direct sale.

Usually I'll ask if they are a member of these boards and introduce myself as a member first.

On the other hand the argument for a generous board discount is the presumption that most boardies are a higher caliber of buyer than the anonymity and buyer protections provided by ebay. A boardie holds a reputation and have the potential backing of a tight knit community and is held to the brutal judgement of the board HOF and Probaton police. A buyer is risking eviction and ostricization from a selling pool that sees some rare and htf books listed.

Plus there's the kudos thread that allows you to get a better idea of the buyers reliability and trustworthiness.

Isn't that assurance worth at least an 8-10% discount?

I apologize. I respect everyone's opinion and insights even if I disagree.

That's alright, I'm not offended. :foryou:

I know I said I would step away...but as invariably happens when someone says that...I'll be a complete hypocrite and step back in just to add this:

That's good, please do. You are focusing only on the "discount" part and nothing else.

If I set aside the the practical, bottom-line reality of a "Board code" and focus on the spirit and intent of this, I personally think there is a more...how can I say...organic way of going about that.

I've read Hibou's (now Mekon's) Journal post and very much enjoyed them. Many of his interests are similar to mine, I've enjoyed seeing how those interests have informed his purchases, and he strikes me as genuine collector. I don't know him personally, never met him, don't think I've ever even contacted directly, but his posts have contributed to my enjoyment of the Boards and the hobby.

If Hibou/Mekon posted in his Journel that he was looking a particular book and I happened to have one for sale on eBay I would definitely be inclined to contact him and, if he's interested in it, offer to pull the eBay listing and sell it to him at a discount.

Now that's me as a seller, taking the initiative to contact someone that I view as a positive, contributing collector to the Board community and of my own volition making the offer.

Unless I've missed the point, think the above is line with the spirit and intent of what you're proposing, and I have absolutely no problem with it.

But that scenario, to me, is quite a bit different than me as an eBay seller receiving and unsolicited message from someone stating they're a Board member with Board code, asking me to end the listing and sell it to them off eBay because they're a Board member with 'benefits and privileges'

There's a number of Board members, like Hibou/Mekon, who stand out to me as positive community members, but honestly the vast majority of members here I'm largely unfamiliar with, and a handfull unfortunately that I don't particularly care for.

And while as loadstone says, the self-policing has hopefully produced a high-caliber of buyer, there are few members who have had repeated problems in the Marketplace yet have managed to stay in good standing.

And there are the members who are solely flippers and are primarily here for the opportunity to make a profit.

So which member is it that's contacting me?

If it's the former, someone with whom I feel some sense of comradery, well o.k I can see the merit in that.

But if it's any of the later...well hopefully you can understand why in those instances for me it would feel like it's 'all about the discount'.

And now...I'll bow out. I've shared more than my 2c