• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY - Again! (8/25/17)

14 posts in this topic

'I'll be back to get every last dollar you will offer!'

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY Will Receive A 3D Rerelease in 2017

On August 29, 1997, Skynet first became self aware. On August 29, 2016, a brand new poster for the upcoming 3D re-release of James Cameron's 1991 masterpiece Terminator 2: Judgment Day was unveiled featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger's T-800 standing locked-and-loaded. There's no word on an exact release date, but the official T2 Facebook page does tease that it is "Coming to theaters in 2017," so be on the lookout for further details in the next few months or so.

chs49WJ.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY 3D Gets A Release Date And An Official Trailer

terminator_two_judgement_day_poster_jpos

Last July marked the 25th anniversary of James Cameron's beloved Terminator 2: Judgment Day and this year, to celebrate, the sci-fi classic is returning to theaters... in 3D! 

Distrib Films US and Carolco Pictures announced today that the film, which stars Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton, will be re-released on August 25, which is coincidentally just four days ahead of the twenty-year anniversary of the day when Skynet was supposed to become self-aware a.k.a. Judgment Day. 

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I want to see this version.

Even though I didn't mind the sequels (didn't love, mind you,) I might drag my butt to a theater to catch this as well.

I never watched it in it's original theatrical release.

26 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Even though I didn't mind the sequels (didn't love, mind you,) I might drag my butt to a theater to catch this as well.

I never watched it in it's original theatrical release.

This is  Arnold Schwarzenegger probably at his peak as a movie star. 

Distrib Films US has released a new Terminator 2: 3D trailer. This trailer plays a bit more like a featurette as the footage is interspersed with writer-director James Cameron explains why you should check out the 3D re-release of the film. He points out that since the movie came out 25 years ago (it will actually turn 26 tomorrow), there’s an entire generation of fans that has never experienced T2 on the big screen.

The other reason is that he’s worked with Stereo D, “the best 3D conversion house in the world”, to create a 3D experience that’s more immersive. Since you’re likely viewing this in 2D on your phone or computer, we won’t really know if the movie benefits from a 3D post-conversion, but at the very least, we know that Cameron cares about the quality of post-conversion. If the 3D gets his stamp of approval, then it’s probably well done.

The film will exclusively hit AMC Theaters on August 25th.

James Cameron Used CGI to Make Several Changes in Terminator 2 3D

Terminator 2: Judgement Day is back in cinemas this month for a James Cameron-approved 3D re-release. Although if you’re hoping to see the action classic exactly as it was in 1991 (just with some ineffective stereoscopy) you’re not going to quite get what you’re expecting; the director’s made a couple of alterations using the latest in computer graphics.

The Truck Glass

In previous versions of the sequence, when Robert Patrick drove the truck off a bridge and into the drain the windshields smashed out on impact; as you’d expect, sure, but the film later makes a point of the glass still being in the frames, with the liquid-metal machine nonchalantly knocking it off later in the chase. This apparently always irked Cameron so he’s adjusted it so they remain in, removing the flying windshields.

Terminator-2-Truck-Changes.jpg?auto=form

The Stunt Double

As awesome as the truck chase is on a visceral level (it’s pretty much perfect), one consistent technical criticism of it has been the painfully obvious stunt doubles; it’s very clearly a fully-grown man riding the scooter instead of Edward Furlong, while the slow-motion spectacle shots of the T-800 flying into the drain and later escaping the exploding truck were so obviously not Schwarzenegger. This was always present in the film, but as picture quality of releases increased it became painfully obvious.

Terminator-2-Bike-Changes.jpg?auto=forma

The Lighter Image and Altered Coloring

This one isn’t as big as the CGI changes but is still worthy of discussion. Terminator 2 has always had a very distinct blue/orange coloring to highlight the coldness of the world and the heat of the robot-destroying fire, and while the 3D version doesn’t get rid of that, it tones it down and introduces a crisper coloring.

Terminator-2-Arnie-Glasses.jpg?auto=form