• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IGB's Tec 27 9.6

66 posts in this topic

IGB bought this one restored - and then dismantled to reassemble.

I believe it was this one...?

Correct.

Do you know for certain this is the same book Peter ?

Absolutely. Received confirmation from former owner himself. Separate confirmation from IGB.

Ugh. Such a waste. Didn't even get noted as "TRIMMED" either.

That's the biggest thing to me.

This book is now trimmed on three sides and that is pretty unforgivable considering it was a nice resto job to start with.

A trimmed book should never get that grade.

I hate the whole grading scale thing anyway, but any comic that's restored at all should get no grade whatsoever. It's not that grade at all, it's fake and tampered with. It will just encourage more like this to happen too if they keep giving fake comics grades.

I hate the whole grading scale thing anyway, but any comic that's restored at all should get no grade whatsoever. It's not that grade at all, it's fake and tampered with. It will just encourage more like this to happen too if they keep giving fake comics grades.

I believe this is not a road that you would want to travel on.

After all, if this was the case, then many of the 9.6 and 9.8 books sitting in blue holders would not be entitled to any type of grade whatsoever, as the definition of what constitutes restoration is still in question by many in the hobby. hm

Everyone has their different standards on what's acceptable (if at all) with resto. work.

Given the origins of why it started (not including kids youthful play on some books and discounting the pro work that was done without trying to deceive) you can understand at least some peoples distaste for what was clearly an attempt to cheat prospective buyers with a books grade. Resto. in comics history is not exactly a pure form at improving the hobby.

That said I can live with a little depending on what was done and in some cases if I care enough about it to remove the work without damaging a book.

I'm getting better at excepting some of it at least. :grin:

I believe this is not a road that you would want to travel on.

After all, if this was the case, then many of the 9.6 and 9.8 books sitting in blue holders would not be entitled to any type of grade whatsoever, as the definition of what constitutes restoration is still in question by many in the hobby. hm

Hey goody, I just knew it could become a pressing thread. It IS a holiday Friday, after all! :D

IMO it might be best if the book was just labeled as "Restored", with a complete rundown of the work performed, and a grade (or best estimate) as to what condition the book was in prior to resto. I think that would be a bit more honest than throwing a 9.6 on a book like this. It's kind of insulting to give a restored book a grade higher than could have been expected fresh off the newsstand back in the day.

I hate the whole grading scale thing anyway, but any comic that's restored at all should get no grade whatsoever.

Riiiight. Like this book, and countless others. Garbage. :eyeroll:

act13.jpg

Don't forget nearly your entire signature line too,Peter. All garbage that shouldn't have received a grade! By his logic worth the same as coverless no matter what the level of restoration,because after all, all restored books are the same...junk! :sumo:

This book is now trimmed on three sides and that is pretty unforgivable considering it was a nice resto job to start with.

And this simply again displays the fallacy of a "professionally graded" and slabbed book. After all, if they are gonna give a 3.0 or 3.5 to a copy with brittle pages, (Overstreet would grade that condition as Poor) as they have in the past,then their "professional" opinion counters reality.

The restored copy might look nice to the untrained observer, and might spark a purchase by someone who is not into collecting, but rather investing. This then continues to develop a whole 'nother realm (raw books, slabbed books, slabbed and restored books with a grade as artificial as the book now is).

And this simply again displays the fallacy of a "professionally graded" and slabbed book. After all, if they are gonna give a 3.0 or 3.5 to a copy with brittle pages, (Overstreet would grade that condition as Poor) as they have in the past,then their "professional" opinion counters reality.

The restored copy might look nice to the untrained observer, and might spark a purchase by someone who is not into collecting, but rather investing. This then continues to develop a whole 'nother realm (raw books, slabbed books, slabbed and restored books with a grade as artificial as the book now is).

These sound like the talking points of the esteemed Mr. Beerbong. ;)

I hate the whole grading scale thing anyway, but any comic that's restored at all should get no grade whatsoever.

Riiiight. Like this book, and countless others. Garbage. :eyeroll:

act13.jpg

I did like your sig line Peter till you pointed this out. That Action 13 has way to much resto for us. I think you should just keep the Tec 33 and start all over :wishluck: I have someone who would take the rest of your sig line. (thumbs u

These sound like the talking points of the esteemed Mr. Beerbong. ;)

I didn't realize that Robert was so erudite...:wink:

There was a thread about this a while ago. CGC said that they used to accept these books for grading, but, due to concerns primarily Matt Nelson's, they were deciding whether to continue doing so when IGB made the decision for them, and stopped submitting.