• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've been re-watching every Mission:Impossible, and yes, M:I 2 is the worst

5 posts in this topic

Years ago, it was by far my favorite. But as i've gone back and re-watched every single movie, i've realized that M:I 3-5 are definitely the best. M:I 1 is also a very movie, and far better than 2, but not as good as the last three. Now, I still think it's a good movie, and still enjoy watching it, but it's no where near as impressive as the other 4 films. M:I 2 is more action-y, but not as intelligent. I've noticed far more unbelievable moments than in any of the other films.

I did exactly this very thing after watching 'Rogue Nation."

...and I agree about Part Deux. I liked it a lot when it first came out, but now it totally feels dated, due to the Hong Kong influences as John Woo developed films in the West.

Hard Target in '93 was one thing (I guess a direct-to-DVD sequel is being released this week) and Face Off galvanized the trend in '97, but by the time MI:2 came out in 2000, it was ripe for parody, with the slow-mo camera work, dancing while firing guns and endless flocks of doves.

I know Cruise wanted a different tone to all these movies, but this one is the most unwatchable now, next to Brian DePalma's helmed original, whose camera tricks of his own bogged that one down as well. He was trying to hard to turn it into a Hitchcock friendly 39 Steps/North By Nortwest for the 90's blockbuster crowd currently flocking to see Independence Day that summer.

Years ago, it was by far my favorite. But as i've gone back and re-watched every single movie, i've realized that M:I 3-5 are definitely the best. M:I 1 is also a very movie, and far better than 2, but not as good as the last three. Now, I still think it's a good movie, and still enjoy watching it, but it's no where near as impressive as the other 4 films. M:I 2 is more action-y, but not as intelligent. I've noticed far more unbelievable moments than in any of the other films.

Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol still does it for me. I never even went back to rewatch MI2, as it was so bland to me. I think that was one of the chief complaints from critics (I looked - it received a 57% and was noted as 'Rotten').

EN4u9am.png

:ohnoez:

But let's not forget that we all all Mission Impossible II a huge debt, as villain Dougray Scott was originally cast as Wolverine.

He had to drop out when MI:2 fell behind schedule, leading to the casting of Hugh Jackman instead.