• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylites 2 Question

35 posts in this topic

I am thinking about switching some of the books I have in Bill Cole Arklites (1 mil)

over to Gerber Mylite 2's with fullbacks.

I have never used the Gerber products, but I see that the mylites are 1/4 "

taller than the full backs, 10 3/4" vs 10 1/2".

I like the backing board to be flush against the top of the mylar when the flap

is sealed, i.e. I don't want to have a gap at the top of the board allowing the board

to move vertically. I'm just wondering whether the extra thickness of the 2 mil

mylar makes it more difficult to fold over the extra 1/4" so the board will be flush.

Do most people do this, or do you leave the 1/4" gap at the top of the fullback?

I hope my question is understandable. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

There is a small gap between the top of the opening and the top of the backing board.

Some leave that little gap and just fold the flap over.

I prefer to fold the complete top over against the board. This leaves a little bubble at the top, but will lessen over time.

I'm just wondering whether the extra thickness of the 2 mil

mylar makes it more difficult to fold over the extra 1/4" so the board will be flush.

Yep. You'll have a small gap at the top. I don't think you can fold the gap away, but you can get it pretty close. I try and get mine as tight to the board as possible, but you'll still see a slight gap (maybe 1/32" - 1/16"). It's not enough to keep me from using them.

There is a small gap between the top of the opening and the top of the backing board.

I prefer to fold the complete top over against the board. This leaves a little bubble at the top, but will lessen over time.

893whatthe.gif I do the same.

screwy.gif

893whatthe.gifNo way.

So, when new, the flap is not "pre-folded" at all, i.e. there is no manufactured

crease at the 10 3/4" height? Thanks for the info, I'm definitely going with the

Gerber fullbacks as I like the fact that they are taller than the Bill Cole boards,

but I'm still torn on whether to stick with 1 mil or go to 2 mil mylites.

So, when new, the flap is not "pre-folded" at all, i.e. there is no manufactured

crease at the 10 3/4" height? Thanks for the info, I'm definitely going with the

Gerber fullbacks as I like the fact that they are taller than the Bill Cole boards,

but I'm still torn on whether to stick with 1 mil or go to 2 mil mylites.

Tip: you can custom order the fullbacks to be a little bit taller :EndTip

1 mils tear very easily, I highly recommend the 2 mils. thumbsup2.gif

What height would you recommend for the fullbacks, the exact mylite height of 10 3/4"? I guess even if the board were a little taller, it would create the flush effect when folded.

I love the Mylite 2. I think it's the best bag out there. It really makes books look good and you don't have those annoying tabs at the top like Mylar snugs. I use them on virtually all my books except super HG, which I will put in a Mylite 2 and then into a standard Mylar snug.

One mil bags are too thin IMO.

I think I'll take Doc B's advice and go with the Mylite 2's and a slightly taller fullback. I like having some extra space at the top and bottom (and not just on the sides) anyway, that's the main complaint I have with all of Cole's time-xtenders.

I love the Mylite 2. I think it's the best bag out there. It really makes books look good and you don't have those annoying tabs at the top like Mylar snugs. I use them on virtually all my books except super HG, which I will put in a Mylite 2 and then into a standard Mylar snug.

One mil bags are too thin IMO.

I actually switched from Cole to Gerber and found their 1mil to be more durable. It works for me. thumbsup2.gif

893whatthe.gifNo way.

Always did it that way! acclaim.gif

893whatthe.gifNo way.

Always did it that way! acclaim.gif
Absolutely amazing, wow. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Do you use mylite 2/fullbacks even for the 100-pagers, or do you store them some other way? I always wonder about what works best for avoiding spine damage.
All my 100 pagers go in mylars.

Do you use mylite 2/fullbacks even for the 100-pagers, or do you store them some other way? I always wonder about what works best for avoiding spine damage.

What kind? with a backing board? I would think 100 pagers would be a really tight fit in the mylar.

What height would you recommend for the fullbacks, the exact mylite height of 10 3/4"? I guess even if the board were a little taller, it would create the flush effect when folded.

I ordered "custom sized" fullbacks once, and that was several years ago when they had a weird combination of sizes that didn't quite match. Since then, their products seem to match up a little better, but you are correct that there's a little too much room between the top of the board and the top of the mylar (before the flap). I'd give yourself a little room for slack (1/8"?) as I don't think you'd want the board to extend above the edge of the mylar.

Anyhow, please let us know what custom-size setup you go with and how it turns out! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I always wondered whether the pinching effect of the 4-mil mylars near the

bottom would be bad for the squarebound spine.