• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM All Select 8 with new pics

13 posts in this topic

I noticed the irregular cut of the cover, but how to say if it's trimming or a production miscut?

I'll take more pictures tonight and post them here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trimming is not that easy to tell in hand sometimes, and from a scan nearly impossible unless it's poorly done. But a lot of 1945 Timelys look like they are possibly trimmed due to narrow and slanted cuts that frequently come to the edge of the logo text. I've seen enough of these with blue labels that I don't worry too much about raw copies unless I have other reasons to think they might be trimmed. Frequently these books are half an inch narrower than books from just a year earlier. Timely's quality control was pretty weak in 1945.

I lean towards miscut.

That said, I once purchased a PLOD Timely that was listed as having the top of the cover trimmed, but it would have been pointless (the book was 3.5) and it was a straight but slightly off angle cut, exposing about 1/8" of the pages once it got to the right corner, so I have serious doubts it was a trim, and much more likely a miscut.