• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with shipping high value books overseas

38 posts in this topic

Ok So this did not go where I thought it would, I Appreciate everyones concern and advise. However there is a lot of mixed info coming threw so I'm going glean as much as I can from you guys and go from there. Yes i did think paypal was a safe option, However no one has as of yet yet told me of a better way.

Right at the top

if he is paying you via wire, bank draft, cash, etc (methods where there is no real fraud for him to perpetrate afterwards), then you're fine.

...I believe everything is legit. The deal is finalized and the money is in my account (paypal).. I am a man of my word and its to late for me to go back now. I told the buyer we are good to go and unless something happens to raise alarm, the books are going to be shipped out Tuesday.

doh!

I really hope there were at least some references obtained. The shipping alone would have been more of hassle for me to bother with a deal like this. I can spend 2 to 3 hours a day in the gym but getting me to take the time to pack up a lot of stuff and have the headache of international shipping is another story.

Im really not sure what to say at this point. I'm not a troll, nor am I trying to covert everyone to Instagram. Thank you for all the help and If anyone has any real advise on shipping feel free to let me know. Or shoot me a dm if you don't want to be associated with this troll. Ill post an update after everything is done.

Thank you - Dom

Ok So this did not go where I thought it would, I Appreciate everyones concern and advise. However there is a lot of mixed info coming threw so I'm going glean as much as I can from you guys and go from there. Yes i did think paypal was a safe option, However no one has as of yet yet told me of a better way.

Right at the top

if he is paying you via wire, bank draft, cash, etc (methods where there is no real fraud for him to perpetrate afterwards), then you're fine.

I did see this but I I'm not sure if its a better option. From what it seems like is either there is going to be risk for me, or risk for the buyer. Apart from meeting in person it seems there is always going to be risk involved. Cash is not an option. If he wires the money into my account or sends me a bank draft whats to stop me from scamming him? Im not being a smart I truly don't know. But I do know if someone asked me to wire a lot of Money directly into there bank account theres no way I would.

For everyone who is actually wishing me well and hoping this works out.

Thank you.

I'll just post it one last time so I can say I did everything I could:

You do not have enough assurance that this will be a solid deal to go through with this transaction.

You can certainly go back! Refund the money though paypal and ask the buyer for a bank check. Deposit the bank check and wait 2 weeks before shipping. Or use an escrow service. Or, make it impossible for Paypal to retrieve those funds you were sent already (and be prepared to deal with Paypal messing with your CR as ICS states, better that than being out 13K.)

You are worrying about the wrong things asking the question "how does the buyer know you aren't scamming him?". For 13K you shouldn't care. The answer to the inverse question is all that matters. Why should all the risk be on you? You did not even solicit these books for sale, so you say.

You can certainly go back! Refund the money though paypal and ask the buyer for a bank check. Deposit the bank check and wait 2 weeks before shipping.

Your US bank will make the funds available from an international check in two weeks however, the bank is just advancing the funds in a large percentage of these cases. The check can still bounce several weeks later, at which time you will be on the hook from your bank. This is probably more risky than Paypal.

Right at the top

I did see this but I I'm not sure if its a better option. From what it seems like is either there is going to be risk for me, or risk for the buyer. Apart from meeting in person it seems there is always going to be risk involved. Cash is not an option. If he wires the money into my account or sends me a bank draft whats to stop me from scamming him? Im not being a smart I truly don't know. But I do know if someone asked me to wire a lot of Money directly into there bank account theres no way I would.

For everyone who is actually wishing me well and hoping this works out.

Thank you.

Dom, I most certainly wish you well. You seem to be taking offense but you asked us and you were given honest opinions. This is a risky transaction, it cannot be sugar coated. You did not take our advice, so be it. Good luck.

You can certainly go back! Refund the money though paypal and ask the buyer for a bank check. Deposit the bank check and wait 2 weeks before shipping.

Your US bank will make the funds available from an international check in two weeks however, the bank is just advancing the funds in a large percentage of these cases. The check can still bounce several weeks later, at which time you will be on the hook from your bank. This is probably more risky than Paypal.

This is incorrect. A "bank check" is nearly as good as cash. You can actually call the issuing bank and check its validity.

Each bank has their own rules about how long before you can be sure the money cannot be rescinded (a stop placed on the check). It can be 2-4 weeks depending on the institution. You can speed that up by calling the issuing bank and asking if the check has fully cleared. At this point there is no bounce, and never ship until this point.

There is no safer instrument then a bank check, except a "wire transfer" or equivalent. Paypal is not even in the same galaxy, given they can call in the money 179 days later.

Hey guys, Just wanted to say again thanks to everyone that tried to help, and to apologize if I seemed offended. The books arrived safely at the door step of the buyer and he is more then pleased with everything. He even sent me pictures of the books all over as he unpacked them! I understand the was risky but so far it seems to have payed off beautifully. The money is transferred to another bank account and that Paypal is closed. Thanks again for the help.

Dom

This is incorrect. A "bank check" is nearly as good as cash. You can actually call the issuing bank and check its validity.

You can, but that is not what you stated.

You said: "Deposit the bank check and wait 2 weeks before shipping. "

Which is extremely risky, since international checks often take over a month to actually clear and it is doubtful that more than 1/2 have actually cleared in two weeks.

Each bank has their own rules about how long before you can be sure the money cannot be rescinded (a stop placed on the check). It can be 2-4 weeks depending on the institution.

Wait. What happened to "wait 2 weeks before shipping"? ;)

You can speed that up by calling the issuing bank and asking if the check has fully cleared. At this point there is no bounce, and never ship until this point.

While this works great for domestic banks, try calling international banks and get back with us ....