• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Blair Harley Quinn Commission

24 posts in this topic

Aloha Everyone!

I'm having Scott Blair do a commission for me and I'm thinking of having him do a Harley Quinn meets Stan Lee type of thing so I can get Stan Lee's Signature and CGC Graded also just to do something different than most. However I'm not sure how politically correct it would be or what it would be worth later on down the road.

So I'm toying with a few characters that I might want Scott Blair to do for the commission. I collect for the artwork and the long term investment value so I get everything graded and I'm wondering which of the character variations below do you all think will be worth the most if its signed and graded?

1. Harley Quinn wearing in a bikini top with Stan Lee which would be signed by Scott Blair,

2. Spider Gwen wearing in a bikini top with Stan Lee which would be signed by Scott Blair, Stan Lee, and Jason Latour.

3. Mary Jane Watson in a bikini top with Stan Lee which would be signed by Scott Blair, Stan Lee

4. Princess Leia in a bikini top with Stan Lee which would be signed by Scott Blair, Stan Lee, and Carrie Fisher

Anyone know which one would eventually be worth more?

Nathan

With this kind of commission request, don't go into it thinking you're going to be able to sell it for more than you have into it. On a request this specific, expect to lose money if you ever try to sell it. Get it because you like it, not because of resale value.

I know I'm only 1 collector, but crossover-type themes don't appeal to me much, so already I would not consider buying a Harley/Stan or Leia/Stan book. Secondly, I like my superheroes in Superhero garb...superheroes in swimsuits don't hold much appeal for me.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get this done if you want it. I'm just saying the buying pool would be pretty limited should you ever decide to sell. Get this done because you want it, not because it will be worth something later. My 2c

With this kind of commission request, don't go into it thinking you're going to be able to sell it for more than you have into it. On a request this specific, expect to lose money if you ever try to sell it. Get it because you like it, not because of resale value.

I know I'm only 1 collector, but crossover-type themes don't appeal to me much, so already I would not consider buying a Harley/Stan or Leia/Stan book. Secondly, I like my superheroes in Superhero garb...superheroes in swimsuits don't hold much appeal for me.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get this done if you want it. I'm just saying the buying pool would be pretty limited should you ever decide to sell. Get this done because you want it, not because it will be worth something later. My 2c

well said.

Yep, if you're making a decision on a commission of any kind with the primary thought being "RE$ALE!!" you've already lost.

heres the problem, while i agree with most of what you said you don't know if the buying pool would be "pretty limited". you're only speaking for yourself in that reguard and applying the logic as a general statement across the hobby, for myself i have no prob buying a cross over peice but it would have to be something i'm intrested in and if i like the art work.......who's to say there aren't more with my thinking then your thinking? a different way of thinking of it if there are 5 that don't like crossovers but 15 who do, i'd rather cater to thoes 15 then the 5. though there is no way to know how the sketch market runs most of the time and what people will/won't buy

he's correct on the rest though, unless it's a hard to get artist then sketches are for fun and not really to make money or even to recoup your cost......sorry to say but scott is pretty common and (i hate saying this) but can be kinda hit or miss with the artwork. seen some that look great and i'd have no problem paying his price, and others i think that the art is subpar and wouldn't touch the art at the price listed. i have 2 peices from scott, one i think is awesome and the other is meh i would have a 3rd but it was a commish for someone and NFS (it was an amazing peice)

Agree with the prevailing sentiment that you commission what you want, not what you think will sell for primo dollars in the future.

And hopefully you get good work in exchange for your money. Some of the Frank Miller sketches I've seen on eBay...yikes, and he was charging serious money per sketch last I heard.

Aloha Turtle!

Thank you for the reply and your thoughts on a commission. I don't resale anything I buy as I collect for the art. I am building a house in WA and I have one large room that I will be building a bar in and I would be putting it on the wall or somewhere in the bar as I'm making a comic themed bar area. In addition to collecting for the art I do it as an investment that my wife could sell in the event anything should happen to me. Other than that I have no intentions of selling anything I buy and get graded.

I did recently sell a Lady Death Dark Millennium #1 Chrome Edition that was signed by JP Roth, Nei Ruffino, and Brian Pulido. I sold it so I could buy REM 8 #3 Risque EBAS Variant LTD To 100 so I can get it signed by JP Roth, Ebas and Sabine Rich.

Much Mahalo

LanaiHaole

Aloha Turtle!

Thank you for the reply and your thoughts on a commission. I don't resale anything I buy as I collect for the art. I am building a house in WA and I have one large room that I will be building a bar in and I would be putting it on the wall or somewhere in the bar as I'm making a comic themed bar area. In addition to collecting for the art I do it as an investment that my wife could sell in the event anything should happen to me. Other than that I have no intentions of selling anything I buy and get graded.

I did recently sell a Lady Death Dark Millennium #1 Chrome Edition that was signed by JP Roth, Nei Ruffino, and Brian Pulido. I sold it so I could buy REM 8 #3 Risque EBAS Variant LTD To 100 so I can get it signed by JP Roth, Ebas and Sabine Rich.

Much Mahalo

LanaiHaole

just get whatever you think will be coolest and most enjoyable to you and your family (if its displayed) for years to come. unless you plan on inviting a bunch of boardies to your new house (and associated bar area). Otherwise just get Stan Lee in the Milo Manara Spiderwoman position and call it a day.

Aloha Turtle!

Much Mahalo

LanaiHaole

just get whatever you think will be coolest and most enjoyable to you and your family (if its displayed) for years to come. unless you plan on inviting a bunch of boardies to your new house (and associated bar area). Otherwise just get Stan Lee in the Milo Manara Spiderwoman position and call it a day.

This is now going to be a thing. :sick:

Aloha Everyone

Thanks for all of the feedback. I decided to go with a Topless Suicide Squad Harley Quinn as I think it will be cool.

Again Thanks Everyone

That is a conversation starter. I am sure your wife will love seeing this every time you entertain. :roflmao: