• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Local Philly Show April 17th

9 posts in this topic

Just a reminder for all you Philly locals. I'll be there as usual in the morning wandering about. Grab the asian guy with glasses walking around with a black bag and say hello.

I'm sure I'll namisgr there as well --

Just a reminder for all you Philly locals. I'll be there as usual in the morning wandering about. Grab the asian guy with glasses walking around with a black bag and say hello.

I'm sure I'll namisgr there as well --

Actually, Bri, my son turns 13 on Sunday, so I won't be making this show. Besides, it's time to start saving up for the Wizard extravaganza! Enjoy the show.

I just want to defend the local Philly show for a second:

I picked up a stack of 9.0-9.2 Bronze Age Avengers from Gary Platt that were beautiful.

I saw a 9.4 beautiful white page Detective 400 that Al Stoltz had that he just picked up, as well as a handful of other high grade Steranko SHIELDs. He also has been picking up high grade.

Jeff Weaver had some nice books as well (although a little on the high side for the quality -- they were 9.0s priced at 9.4 prices) but I think at least worth looking at.

Nationwide Comics had some low/mid grade Golden Age I hadn't seen before.

I know when you go to a show and you don't find what you're looking for, it seems like dealers have the same stuff, but I saw a lot of new high grades in the room that were shown to me by dealers. Was it 9.4/9.6 -- no? but there was some good stuff there, and I always enjoy going.

Al and Jeff had a bunch of new stuff.... so I'm not criticizing them. There are a number of dealers there that simply don't turn inventory over. There's one dealer in particular (won't mention names) who has stuff that I'm interested in, but won't budge on price even though they are far over guide and not at all realistic. When you're asking prices higher than Metropolis, you're going to have a problem.

I totally agree with you. I essentially check only four dealer's stock:

Gary Platt, Koop, Al Stoltz, and Jeff Weaver. Outside of that, I'm not generally buying from anybody else because I've looked at their pricing from time to time, realized it was generally too high and they weren't willing to negotiate and/or the grading was sub par.

Al 3% discount Stoltz?

Aptly named Basement comics because he gives the lowest dealer discount!

Please tell him I said this, Jeff Weaver gives better deals than Al

Hey, you should lay off Al, Blazing One. He, at least, still comes to the monthly Philly shows! poke2.gif